IWB holster or not??

SWGcowboy

Help folks! For years as a cop, I have my weapon on a duty belt. I have now retired. I want to IWB carry because of not wanting to look like a gunslinger. I bought a Uncle Mike holster (IWB) but it ain't going to get it. I'm carrying a 1911. Got any ideas folks?

Sent from my XT1080 using USA Carry mobile app

Hidden Hybrid Holsters:

Hidden Hybrid Holsters

HHH S1 IWB/OWB hybrid kydex holster

You may have them make a custom holster for you. I had mine made for the Viridian X5L attachment, and couldn't be happier IWB or OWB.

I have one I use both IWB/OWB (hybrid) on my duty size XDm 4.5 9mm. The back is suede to help holster retention.

Had the ECR magnet installed in the holster that controls on/off of the X5L when drawn, or holstered.

Help folks! For years as a cop, I have my weapon on a duty belt. I have now retired. I want to IWB carry because of not wanting to look like a gunslinger. I bought a Uncle Mike holster (IWB) but it ain't going to get it. I'm carrying a 1911. Got any ideas folks?
get better holster/belt rig!
your days of being a cop are over, unless you are willing to wear balloon like shirts to cover your gun you will need to go IWB and the better the rig the better off and more comfortable you'll be

Spend the money and get a better carry rig. And what I mean by 'rig' is a holster, belt and accessory pouch that is designed to carry the gun in question concealed. Don't go cheap on the belt. Arguably, the belt is the most important part as far as comfort and reliable concealment is concerned. A 1911 ain't light, so get a belt designed to carry the weight of the gun. It will keep the gun where you want it to be and it will hold it tight against your body for better concealment without rolling away from the body at the top or sagging under the weight of the gun and holster.

You really need a better holster. Leather, synthetic, kydex, ... it doesn't matter what it's made of. A 1911 is going to cost you between $400 and $2000 depending on how deep your pockets are. If you are going to spend that kind of cash on a gun, then why would you want to carry it in a bargain basement generic 'Size 5' holster? I suggest that you find something that's made specifically for your gun. It's a 1911 so EVERYBODY in the firearms world makes a holster for a 1911.

I've been concealed carrying for over 20 years and what I look for in a concealed carry holster- in general terms- is the following:

A.)It's got to stay open when I pull the gun. If I can't reholster without fighting with the holster because it collapsed, I ain't buying that holster. There may be times (and there has been a couple over the years) where I feel the need to surreptitiously draw and have the gun in hand but still concealed (held under my coat, under the table in my lap, ...). If/when I find that it is unnecessary, I want to be able to reholster just as surreptitiously as I drew it.

B.) It's got to be tight enough that the gun can't come out- even when held up side down- but loose enough that I can draw from it without giving myself a wedgie. Between the holster fit and belt tension, my gun has to stay where I want it to be no matter what I do but still be readily accessible. There's too many horror stories about some CCW holder that had a gun fall out in a line at the grocery store or Walmart not to be concerned with retention. On the other hand, if you go overboard on retention, you can't get to it when you need it. I've found my 'happy place' on the issue with the combination of a snug fitting holster that's made for the gun in question and a good belt.

C.) The holster has to be designed so that I can obtain a shooting grip on the gun while it is still fully in the holster. If I need a concealed pistol, then I'm going to need it RIGHT NOW- not after I get done fiddling with my grip to get it sitting in my hand right so I can actually hit what I'm aiming at. If the gun sits too low or there's some part of the holster that interferes with my ability to do so, I ain't buying that holster.

Thanks jtg! Good stuff. You clearly know your shooting & carrying.

Personally, on a larger gun I prefer to carry OWB. My options are a little more limited, but for me the comfort is worth it. For example one of my carry weapons is a Sig P229R DAK. I currently use a Palmetto Leather Works OWB with a D.M Bullard double thick gun belt to support it. The PLW is very comfortable, does a good job of staying open and has good retention.

Former LEO myself. I carry in a Theis holster and got one of their Jake belts too, to help with the extra weight. Really happy with the set up. Comfortable and hardly realize it's there. Had to adjust to carrying at 5 o'clock instead of 3 o'clock like on a duty rig, but once I did, I like it.
http://theisholsters.com/

Hey Kimberbob. Went to kholster. Says they have closed up. Guess that I'm SOL with them. Thanks anyway.

IWB is more concealable as the belt helps keep the pistol firm against your side. Most OWB holsters I've tried always have a tendency to want to hang out due to gravity and weight. Ok for open carry, but not for concealment.
check: theholsterstore.com

I have an Alien Gear IWB for my 1911 (4.25 inch) I highly recommend it as a good and affordable option, but let's face it, most of us have probably purchased at least 3-4 holsters for every gun we carry or have carried. Every one is a little different as far as what feels the best when carrying. As an additional point, I whole heartedly agree with jtg452 on the need for a good gunbelt, especially with something as heavy as a 1911.

Thanks Vegaman! I am most heavily leaning towards the Alien. Their customer service man was really helpful. He didn't even talk bad about the guys neg. Comments on YouTube.

When I carry my full-size 1911 IWB, I have been very happy with my CrossBreed SuperTuck. I have another CrossBreed and a Galco IWBs that I use for different pistols, and they have been great as well. I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the brands mentioned by bofh.

Thanks for the input. Buying the Alien tomorrow night. You all have been a great help.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back