Firearm Accident

This thread coulda had some good stories, until the AD/ND police JACKED the thread. :butcher:

Yes, I had one once, had a new firearm and wasnt familiar enough with the manual of arms of the particular model and ended up firing a round off into the ground...

It was a Taurus semiauto 45 (forget actual model #) with a "double strike" feature that had an extremely long trigger pull and this was the first time I had tried to shoot it. It didnt fire at first (I thought the trigger was broken or something, I pulled it so far past any other firearm I had ever shot and there was zero resistance to the pull) so I took/turned it off target but FAILED to remove my finger from the trigger, and in fact, continued pulling it..... scared the crap out of me when it went off.....

Yes, I WAS NEGLIGENT..... nothing wrong with the firearm, and it was not an accident...

I don't recollect any ADs or NDs, but I did have a hang-fire. Years ago, I had a lever action rifle with some very old 30-30 rounds. I fired at a metallic silhouette, nothing happened, I slightly lowered muzzle and asked "what happened?" and then Pow!.

I'll add this since I have not had an AD/ND...
Corrections officer accidentally shoots self at practice range
Link Removed
They are calling I an AD, guess a couple of you guys should go educate them.

Negligent discharges are all too common. With modern firearms, accidental discharges are extremely rare. Guns don't just go off. There's nearly always a person doing something stupid involved.

I had one last year. I had just bought an Arcus 98 DA, which can be carried cocked and locked. This was the first handgun I've ever had that can be carried this way. I water to carry it with a round in the chamber, but with the hammer uncocked, something that requires pulling the trigger. I shot a hole into my floor; thank God I live alone!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Nope, KyTopGun. Accidental Discharge is when the gun breaks and discharges when you as the shooter are unprepared. Negligent Discharge is when the gun goes off because you weren't following the basic safety rules of firearms.

A negligent discharge can also be unintentional and would bet that most are.

What is the meaning of the word 'accident'? What is the meaning of 'negligent'?

Thank you for those links. From them we can deduce that an unintended discharge of a firearm is an accident (event) that almost certainly was caused by the negligence (behavior) of the shooter.

And BTW, when Massad Ayoob writes about the danger of light triggers, they are 'accidental shootings'.

Getting very old but only had one discharge on a gun I was looking to buy from an individual, not in my hand at range and it according to him went off (downrange), turned out to be mechanical problem with gun, brain the best safety there is has not allowed me to handle any weapon not pointed down range when loaded to discharge without my permission. As noted human error is main reason for AD/ND or whatever you want to call it. The same brain that decides to attack a gun free zone, it is not the mechanical that is the problem it is the mental choice of a living organism (Human).

Again, then Mas is incorrect, there are no accidental shootings.

Why is it only with guns there are no accidents? If one saws off a couple of fingers with his table saw, it's an accident. If his car slips off the jack, and crushes his leg, it's an accident. Someone explain why no one can have an accident with a gun.

The California Penal Code defines Negligent Discharge as a willful shooting in an unsafe manner or location. Accidental is a valid defense. Your own Florida statute 790.15 is similar. Negligence (look at your definition link) is an intentional action. An unintentional pull of the trigger is an accident.

Why are people so caught up on definitions? Most accidental discharges are due to negligent behavior. And most negligent discharges are accidents. I doubt anybody intentionally put that hole in their floor..that makes it an accident however negligent it may be.

By defining the difference between an Accidental Discharge and Negligent Discharge we can save a lot of people the pain or embarrassment of a ND. If we accept the fact that a ND has to deal with not following the safety rules (thus avoidable) and an AD being a gun malfunction (thus unavoidable), we as gun owners are more safety conscience. That is why it is important to know and understand the difference.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back