CCW's to 18-20 year old's

chandlerpeay

I have done quite a bit of digging and have found multiple states including Montana, California, Indiana, the Dakotas, Vermont among a few others that in their states law reads that 18 year olds may obtain a CCW. However in each county the required age ups to 21. Why is this? I know and 18 cannot purchase a handgun, but in CA a parent may give his/her child a handgun legally and have it then be registered to the 18 year old. So why do counties put this age requirement on that is higher than what state law requires? Has any ever heard of a county issuing to 18-20 year olds? If someone has a good reason for counties do this I am really open to hearing it. Thank You!!

The big problem is that we as citizen's have to ask Big Brother for permission to carry in the first place. Get that resolved and the age infringement is a non-issue.

But yes, here in PA, one can own a handgun, but to get a LTCF (license to carry firearms) one has to be 21.

However in each county the required age ups to 21. Why is this?

They need an excuse to further limit how many law abiding citizens can legally carry guns to defend themselves with. The more citizens that are disarmed, the more powerful the government is.

Most laws (Idaho) let the county sheriff approve the CCW permits. Therefore it would be the Sheriff's liability (politically) if teens were issued permits. No sheriff in Idaho has wanted to have that on their head. If the sheriff approved one teen, then why not YOUR teen? etc. Soon people would demand ALL teens have permits. I predict it will not happen in my lifetime (I'm 57). While I am comfortable with my teens handling weapons around me, I am not so sure I would be comfortable around YOUR teen with a weapon. Have you seen you teens using their iphones in the cars you give them? I have. Car driving and texting are very dangerous weapons in the hand of anyone. Where did they learn all those bad behaviors then? Not from driving instructors that's for sure. Some teens learn from what you tell them, but mostly they learn by what you show them. That's all I have t say about that.

Thank you for your reply "lakramer1211" this exactly what I am looking for. I know it is the Sheriff's decission and was just curious if I could find any Sheriff in the US to allow that!

Most laws (Idaho) let the county sheriff approve the CCW permits. Therefore it would be the Sheriff's liability (politically) if teens were issued permits. No sheriff in Idaho has wanted to have that on their head. If the sheriff approved one teen, then why not YOUR teen? etc. Soon people would demand ALL teens have permits. I predict it will not happen in my lifetime (I'm 57). While I am comfortable with my teens handling weapons around me, I am not so sure I would be comfortable around YOUR teen with a weapon. Have you seen you teens using their iphones in the cars you give them? I have. Car driving and texting are very dangerous weapons in the hand of anyone. Where did they learn all those bad behaviors then? Not from driving instructors that's for sure. Some teens learn from what you tell them, but mostly they learn by what you show them. That's all I have t say about that.

Bullcrap.... Idaho is a SHALL issue State... that means the sheriff (or issuing authority, didnt look at that part) SHALL issue if the applicant meets the requirements set out in the law or code set forth by the legislature.... There is no leeway in that, if you meet the requirements, you get the permit, period....

Please refrain from posting lies in the future....

Most laws (Idaho) let the county sheriff approve the CCW permits. Therefore it would be the Sheriff's liability (politically) if teens were issued permits. No sheriff in Idaho has wanted to have that on their head. If the sheriff approved one teen, then why not YOUR teen? etc. Soon people would demand ALL teens have permits. I predict it will not happen in my lifetime (I'm 57).

Thank you for your reply "lakramer1211" this exactly what I am looking for. I know it is the Sheriff's decission and was just curious if I could find any Sheriff in the US to allow that!

For once, I agree completely with Axeanda45. Lakramer1211's post is almost entirely erroneous.

First - Idaho sheriff's do NOT get to set their own laws:

Idaho statute Title 18 (Criminal Code), Chapter 33:
Link Removed

18-3302J. Preemption of firearms regulation. (1) The legislature finds that uniform laws regulating firearms are necessary to protect the individual citizen's right to bear arms guaranteed by amendment 2 of the United States Constitution and section 11, article I of the constitution of the state of Idaho. It is the legislature's intent to wholly occupy the field of firearms regulation within this state.

(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city, agency, board or any other political subdivision of this state may adopt or enforce any law, rule, regulation, or ordinance which regulates in any manner the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, transportation, carrying or storage of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition.

Second, Idaho state laws REQUIRES the sheriff to issue a license to those qualified:
Title 18, Chapter 33:
Link Removed

18-3302. Issuance of licenses to carry concealed weapons. (1) The sheriff of a county, on behalf of the state of Idaho, shall, within ninety (90) days after the filing of an application by any person who is not disqualified from possessing or receiving a firearm under state or federal law, issue a license to the person to carry a weapon concealed on his person within this state.

It is Idaho state law that sets the age limit at 21 in Idaho - NOT the sheriff's discretion:
Link Removed
18-3302. Issuance of licenses to carry concealed weapons.
The citizen's constitutional right to bear arms shall not be denied to him, unless one (1) of the following applies. He:
(l) Is under twenty-one (21) years of age;

That is the real answer, with references. I would love to hear which sheriff's in Idaho are not following the state law....

Interesting. I live in CA and have been working on a proposal for the Sheriff. I really want to find a ccw application and or sheriffs office that has or will issue to an 18-20 year old since that is what our state law says. Any help in this specific area would be really appreciated.

Interesting. I live in CA and have been working on a proposal for the Sheriff. I really want to find a ccw application and or sheriffs office that has or will issue to an 18-20 year old since that is what our state law says. Any help in this specific area would be really appreciated.

Maybe this will help - Orange County claims it is a CA State Law that sets the minimum age at 21:
Link Removed

b) Be at least 21 years of age (Penal Code § 29610).

This is exactly my problem that Penal Code you cited reads in the penal code as quoted, "29610. A minor shall not possess a pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person." However every Sheriff in CA thinks they can up the law to 21. Which I just cannot understand since there are legal ways for 18-20 year olds to obtain a handgun in CA. I cannot find what the liability is since I can buy and process an AR-15 in my home. I work for a local government agency and think I should be allowed to carry due side of the public I work with.

You may not want to take legal advice off the Internet forums if this is indeed what you are looking for. Yes, the Sheriff's are responsible for issuing the permits. However, they do so under the guidance of state law. I decided to look up Idaho's laws to see if ID is truly the one state where the Sheriff makes up the rules of who gets a permit based on age, since in every other state, it's the state law that makes that call. Here is the full statute in the state law that explains who will be denied a permit including someone under 21:

Link Removed

Here's the part you are looking for:

The citizen's constitutional right to bear arms shall not be denied to him, unless one (1) of the following applies. He:

This is exactly my problem that Penal Code you cited reads in the penal code as quoted, "29610. A minor shall not possess a pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person." However every Sheriff in CA thinks they can up the law to 21. Which I just cannot understand since there are legal ways for 18-20 year olds to obtain a handgun in CA. I cannot find what the liability is since I can buy and process an AR-15 in my home. I work for a local government agency and think I should be allowed to carry due side of the public I work with.

There is a difference between ownership and possession. Felons can OWN guns - but they cannot possess them, for example. When I am deployed on a ship, I own lots of things back home that I do not have possession of. And what do you think the word "minor" means? What does a sign on every bar door say? "No MINORS allowed". What's the age limit for bars? 21.

Bullcrap.... Idaho is a SHALL issue State... that means the sheriff (or issuing authority, didnt look at that part) SHALL issue if the applicant meets the requirements set out in the law or code set forth by the legislature.... There is no leeway in that, if you meet the requirements, you get the permit, period....

Please refrain from posting lies in the future....

Bullcrap.... Idaho is a SHALL issue State... that means the sheriff (or issuing authority, didnt look at that part) SHALL issue if the applicr

Dear Alexandra45:
Please reread exception (l) below. It states that anyone under the age of 21 is excepted from the shall issue and is placed under the discretion of the county sheriff where the applicant resides. I generally do not shoot off my mouth with as much abandon as you do. I am sorry if your law school didn't teach you the value of checking your back stop before firing.

(a) Is ineligible to own, possess or receive a firearm under the provisions of state or federal law;
(b) Is formally charged with a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one (1) year;
(c) Has been adjudicated guilty in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one (1) year;
(d) Is a fugitive from justice;
(e) Is an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance as defined in 21 U.S.C. 802;
(f) Is currently suffering or has been adjudicated as follows, based on substantial evidence:
(i) Lacking mental capacity as defined in section 18-210, Idaho Code;
(ii) Mentally ill as defined in section 66-317, Idaho Code;
(iii) Gravely disabled as defined in section 66-317, Idaho Code; or
(iv) An incapacitated person as defined in section 15-5-101(a), Idaho Code.
(g) Is or has been discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions;
(h) Is or has been adjudicated guilty of or received a withheld judgment or suspended sentence for one (1) or more crimes of violence constituting a misdemeanor, unless three (3) years have elapsed since disposition or pardon has occurred prior to the date on which the application is submitted;
(i) Has had entry of a withheld judgment for a criminal offense which would disqualify him from obtaining a concealed weapon license;
(j) Is an alien illegally in the United States;
(k) Is a person who having been a citizen of the United States has renounced his or her citizenship;

Bullcrap.... Idaho is a SHALL issue State... that means the sheriff (or issuing authority, didnt look at that part) SHALL issue if the applicr

Dear Alexandra45:
Please reread exception (l) below. It states that anyone under the age of 21 is excepted from the shall issue and is placed under the discretion of the county sheriff where the applicant resides. I generally do not shoot off my mouth with as much abandon as you do. I am sorry if your law school didn't teach you the value of checking your back stop before firing.

(a) Is ineligible to own, possess or receive a firearm under the provisions of state or federal law;
(b) Is formally charged with a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one (1) year;
(c) Has been adjudicated guilty in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one (1) year;
(d) Is a fugitive from justice;
(e) Is an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant or narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance as defined in 21 U.S.C. 802;
(f) Is currently suffering or has been adjudicated as follows, based on substantial evidence:
(i) Lacking mental capacity as defined in section 18-210, Idaho Code;
(ii) Mentally ill as defined in section 66-317, Idaho Code;
(iii) Gravely disabled as defined in section 66-317, Idaho Code; or
(iv) An incapacitated person as defined in section 15-5-101(a), Idaho Code.
(g) Is or has been discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions;
(h) Is or has been adjudicated guilty of or received a withheld judgment or suspended sentence for one (1) or more crimes of violence constituting a misdemeanor, unless three (3) years have elapsed since disposition or pardon has occurred prior to the date on which the application is submitted;
(i) Has had entry of a withheld judgment for a criminal offense which would disqualify him from obtaining a concealed weapon license;
(j) Is an alien illegally in the United States;
(k) Is a person who having been a citizen of the United States has renounced his or her citizenship;

Is that sheriffs discretion? Or a denial list set in law? Can a sheriff approve a permit for a fugitive from justice? If the law states 20 years old or younger can not carry, it's not up to the sheriff.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back