Unpaid Speeding Ticket and Carry Permit

Okay. Now I understand what you meant.

Using me as the example, I passed the NICS check, therefore I SHOULD, and I use that loosely, receive the carry permit. Or at least that's a positive sign that apparently there is no warrant on me in Indiana, right?
In theory yes. However I don't know the logistics of how Indiana handles unpaid traffic cites. In Nevada, it would go to warrant. However, we do have amnesty days in Clark County NV at least once every couple of years where you can settle the warrant for the amount of the fine and all other costs and fines get tossed out by the County Clerk.

So wait. You can receive a warrant for an unpaid speeding and/or parking ticket and therefore be denied the right to possess a firearm. However, you can get approved for a firearm with a convicted DUI charge or other controlled substance? How f'd up is that?

Makes sense to me.

A DUI conviction, you have done your time and paid your fine. Perhaps learned your lesson. Habitual offenders will not be issued in MI. Same thing with a misdeameaner drug conviction.

But the courts and law enforcement take a much dimmer view of "Failer to Appear" or just not paying the fine.

In MI, if you have a bench warrant from a different state, (and you may not be aware) you will not get a CPL.

In MI, if you have a bench warrant from a different state, (and you may not be aware) you will not get a CPL.
Same here in TN. My question still remains. If you passed the NICS check, you should be good to go. I would think that all warrants would show up in an NICS check regardless of severity. Using an extreme example, what if there was a warrant out for you for attempted murder with a deadly weapon? You would think that would show up on an NICS check, right?

So, if that extreme case would show up, then the other less offensive would also, right?

I would really appreciate your thoughts...or better yet, facts if you have them.

Okay-- just ran into this myself. I'm an Oregon resident, and had an application for a resident permit submitted to my local sheriff's office. A week after submitting the application, I got a nasty-gram from the Department of Revenue telling me they were going to garnish my paycheck for an unpaid parking ticket...to do this, they must issue a 'warrant'...which they did. I called the Sheriff's office, told them what was going on, and they told me that it would have zero effect-- that is, even if it showed up on the background check, it isn't something they would cite as a reason to deny a permit. The woman I spoke with sounded sort of annoyed by the question.

So, at least in Oregon, it's nothing to worry about.

re: my ticket!! VENT: drive me crazy, I paid the parking fee for the lot where I parked, but my permit was placed upside down on my dash, so they cited me, and when I tried to dispute wouldn't budge...yes, they had a copy of the check I wrote to park in the first place, yes they had their copy of the stub showing my license plate number, yes the permit was readable on my dash...so I let it ride, cost the state a ton of money to chase me over something I didn't do, and yet feel no satisfaction from costing them as much as they're getting out of me over this silly thing. You can't fight City Hall :angry:

Thanks for the info. I'm not sweating it too much. I just purchased another firearm over the weekend and the NICS check continues to pass. I can't imagine that if there was a warrant for me, that the NICS would clear me...I just can't.

You might want to check on this ,starting in 2008 all states must run your liscence through homeland security database and if you have an outstanding ticket in another state your drivers liscence will not be renewed I'm from MI and was next in line when they were explaning it to some pour lady in front of me. I dont know if it will efect a ccw but it shure does effect your driveing.

If your CCW in TN bounces, they will send you a letter and ask for documentation proving that it was cleared up. My wife slapped her ex quite a few years ago, was arrested but then cut loose with no further action. When they did the BG check, they saw the arrest and nothing else. It looked like the case was still pending. Turns out the court never filed the paperwork dropping the charges. When she called the court, they did it over the phone and sent the disposition paperwork, which we sent to the HCP people. Waiting for the final word now, but it should be fine now.

I'd tend to agree though....If you are passing the NICS, there is probably no warrant, but that doesn't mean you won't get arrested if you get pulled over in that state.

I am a retired police sergeant.

There is a statute of limitations on everything except murder. Misdeneanors are 5 years, and felonies are 10 years. Only some states have criminal speeding, so it depends on how fast you were going.

Also remember 11 years ago, courts were still transitioning to computers, so your ticket, depending on the size of the court, may not have made it into the system. Also, only certain jurisdictions, usually the small ones, actually issue warrants for traffic tickets, and the warrant is usually only extradiable from the surrounding counties.

I wouldn't sweat it, and I certainly wouldn't bring it to their attention.

Just my 2 cents.

I am a retired police sergeant.

There is a statute of limitations on everything except murder. Misdeneanors are 5 years, and felonies are 10 years. Only some states have criminal speeding, so it depends on how fast you were going.

Also remember 11 years ago, courts were still transitioning to computers, so your ticket, depending on the size of the court, may not have made it into the system. Also, only certain jurisdictions, usually the small ones, actually issue warrants for traffic tickets, and the warrant is usually only extradiable from the surrounding counties.

I wouldn't sweat it, and I certainly wouldn't bring it to their attention.

Just my 2 cents.

This is excellent insider news. Thanks!!!! I was only 5 MPH over, but it was on an Interstate through Indianapolis, so the town is quite large. I have NO INTENTION of bringing it to their attention...ever!

I am fromTX and am thinking about getting my VA CCP but I have an unpaid speeding ticket from 2006. Will they deny my application bc of that?

Denial of CCP in VA BC of speeding?

I am fromTX and am thinking about getting my VA CCP but I have an unpaid speeding ticket from 2006. Will they deny my application bc of that?

Check out this site for a possible answer to your question: LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308
and if your really unsure contact a lawyer in VA who is pro-gun, also check out this site: Link Removed

Good Luck, It can be really hard to obtain correct facts on the webb and never take what you recieve from anyones posts as a 100% fact, do your home work yourself.

Denial of CCP in VA BC of speeding?

Lol, I would gladly have paid the ticket if I had gotten one. I was visiting and received a court summons that I could not appear for as I was back in TX by then. Now they want $2000. Yeah I'll just not drive in VA anymore.

Lol, I would gladly have paid the ticket if I had gotten one. I was visiting and received a court summons that I could not appear for as I was back in TX by then. Now they want $2000. Yeah I'll just not drive in VA anymore.
You might look into AZ CCW. It takes a couple a months to get, but cheaper than VA and covers more States. Your ticket as long it was a misdemeanor, and not an active warrant, you may be able to cut a deal on the price just for them to clear it from the system.

If they want $2000, you can be pretty sure they have a warrant out for you. So if you arent planning on owning up to it, you should probably stay out of their state.

You might look into AZ CCW. It takes a couple a months to get, but cheaper than VA and covers more States. Your ticket as long it was a misdemeanor, and not an active warrant, you may be able to cut a deal on the price just for them to clear it from the system.

I recently got an AZ permit in two weeks, mailbox to mailbox.

Check the two states for reciprocity. If they honor each others permits it is likely to come up. If not, it's unlikely. States aren't usually willing to go out of their way for states which don't reciprocate and do stuff for them.

Also, some states the law says a misdemeanor disqualifies you for a gun permit, while some like here, assachusetts, you're only supposed to be denied if you have a felony or drug conviction. But since its upt to the police chief of the city you reside in, they can deny you by saying you have "disregard for the law" for any stupid little thing.

See if the two states reciprocate.

Good enough answer for me. The only thing that bothers me is your comment about why you did not pay the ticket--pardon me sir, but it is not up to you to decide these matters and that attitude, even though it may be many years ago, is not what I consider to be the responsible action on your part. Whether anyone in your jurisdiction plays hardball on this unpaid ticket---kindly remember it was your fault.

I believe there is a statute of limitations on misdemeanors. Years ago, the SOL in Oklahoma was 7 years. I believe in Texas it is the same. Not sure, but I think a speeding ticket would come under that heading.
For people in the U.S. military, there is a thing called the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ). According to the UCMJ, any charge that isn't a violation that would cause a General Court Martial, the Statute of Limitations is 5 years.
(Just read Page 3, where the retired police officer from Florida posted. Thanks for clearing things up for us...)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back