Pa carry/alcohol

tinywilson88

As a conceal carry permit holder in Pennsylvania I know that I am within my rights to carry inside an establishment that serves alcohol. However, would I be breaking the law if I had a drink in the bar while carrying? Are there limits to BAC or is it completely banned? I'm not saying I want to go out and get drunk. I just like to drink a beer with dinner.

First post and you ask an idiotic question like that? What do you think would happen if you had to use the gun with alcohol on your breath?

KK

Sir, I wasn't talking about getting drunk or how it would look, I just wanted to know the legal ramifications. I'm not an idiot and this is not something that I do. However, I would like to be able to have a beer with dinner and still protect myself and my family. There is no need to treat me like an ***** hole sir.

Drinking and guns is always a bad idea. I don't know about PA law but in TX you can't drink if you are carrying.

Having your weapon in a bar in PA is not a good idea. You cannot legally carry oc or cc in Pa in an establishment that gets helf of its profits from alcohol. Whether half is from alcohol is the question. Id leave it in the car.

Not another alcohol and carry post....do us, the public and the 2nd amendment a favor and don't drink while you carry, k? There is no better way to screw up a self defense shooting case than by having alcohol in your blood at the point in which you pull the trigger. 1 beer...20 beers...it doesn't matter.

Maybe I am being an ***hole too, but since you are a license holder was this not covered in your class? At least in Ohio you have to acknowledge that you have read the handbook which contains the laws and guide,Ines that must be followed. And as all have said, any amount of alcohol is a TERRIBLE idea. Judgement and response/reaction become immediately impaired, even if only minimally with 1 drink. Which is more important, your family's safety, or your desire to "have a beer"

In Pa there isn't a required class. Like I said before this isn't something I do now, and I don't plan on doing it in the future.

Nevada, in some ways have liberal CCW rules. For instance you can CC or open carry in bars and restaurants and that serve alcohol and even drink alcohol BUT it must be under a set limit, I forget what the limit is but it's lower than the driving limit of .08. But it's always a bad idea to mix alcohol and guns. Keep it simple and just don't drink while carrying and driving .

Don't ever ever leave a gun in your car either. Have you ever watched bait car? Have you heard of these children getting a hold of their irresponsible parents firearms lately??? Because it was left in the car! Death and destruction happens when you leave your gun off of your body. Bad suggestion, leaving it in your car. Sorry but even quadruple locked in your car is not safe. If you own a gun you take on a new responsibility and you have to either keep the gun on you or in a locked safe that is bolted to the ground. Can't afford all that? Don't get a gun.

To the OP,
In the state of PA, the only places you CAN NOT carry are courthouses, elementary schools and post offices. Can you carry in Bar? Yes! Can you drink while carrying Yes! There is no law against it. Is it recommended? No! If you shoot someone while impaired, you'll have a problem.

There is no law or statute that states if you are above a certain limit you cannot carry! But, when the sheriffs office send you a LCTF, they will also state that you should use common sense and don't carry where you really don't need to carry. You are an adult, so you can make your own choices. IMO, having a beer with dinner? So What! Everybody does it, especially law enforcement, just keep your wits about you.

nraynes:287147 said:
Against the law in EVERY sate.

I do believe its legal to have a beer and carry in WA.

To the OP: this has come up before, but that is all right to me. until someone posts statutes, everything here is just opinion. Everyone has one, some just like to push it onto others. If you wish to have a beer at dinner, I see nothing wrong with wanting to still be able to defend yourself and your loved ones. Just like if you had a beer and you had to drive someone to the hospital in an emergency. As you stated, you aren't getting drunk, so stay responsible and safe. Welcome to the forum, people get to insulting real fast here, so hopefully you have thick skin.

In reply to all that say you will have trouble defending your actions if you had a beer in your system and had to defend yourself, imagine if you didn't defend yourself. You wouldn't have any trouble, because you would be dead.

To everyone else, how many people here drink alcohol at all? At home, do you guys lock up your firearm if you have a beer?

Sir, I wasn't talking about getting drunk or how it would look, I just wanted to know the legal ramifications. I'm not an idiot and this is not something that I do. However, I would like to be able to have a beer with dinner and still protect myself and my family. There is no need to treat me like an ***** hole sir.

Asking an idiotic question does not automatically make you an idiot. Believing it would not affect the outcome of any investigation that would include both you having to use your gun and having a drink may.

KK

Most states have a law against it completely some have a certain limit which you have to be under (no more then. 03) 90% of the time they will get you for something even if it isn't carrying while intoxicated.

To the OP,
In the state of PA, the only places you CAN NOT carry are courthouses, elementary schools and post offices. Can you carry in Bar? Yes! Can you drink while carrying Yes! There is no law against it. Is it recommended? No! If you shoot someone while impaired, you'll have a problem.

There is no law or statute that states if you are above a certain limit you cannot carry! But, when the sheriffs office send you a LCTF, they will also state that you should use common sense and don't carry where you really don't need to carry. You are an adult, so you can make your own choices. IMO, having a beer with dinner? So What! Everybody does it, especially law enforcement, just keep your wits about you.

At least somebody answered correctly.

It's just a bad idea period. It doesn't matter if you state allows it or not, you shouldn't do it or even think about it. Leave it at home if you want to drink.

Kind of on the same lines, so I'll ask here. Is it okay to pack if I'm just a little hopped up on goofballs & want to spend time at a Cathouse in Alaska?.... bet that won't be a problem at all......lol

As a conceal carry permit holder in Pennsylvania I know that I am within my rights to carry inside an establishment that serves alcohol. However, would I be breaking the law if I had a drink in the bar while carrying? Are there limits to BAC or is it completely banned? I'm not saying I want to go out and get drunk. I just like to drink a beer with dinner.

Yes. Legal to OC/CC where it is sold, legal to OC/CC where it is consumed, legal to OC/CC while consuming, with no limitations within the statutes.

This is precisely what my wife and I did last night. We decided to visit the newest establishment in our little village, most of you probably know the type, burgers, wings, nachos, 182 flat-screens with every imaginable sport... and beer.

We ordered nachos and burgers and decided to try the house light-beer at the waitresses urging and found it to be outstanding. The food was fairly run-of-the-mill, but we were really there to play Buzz-Time Trivia, something we haven't done in quite a while.

And I was OCing my full-size 1911. After my beer I switched to iced tea and we remained in our seats for a further 2 hours playing the trivia game. No one was shot, no guns were unholstered or waved about, no one was dragged off to court where certain conviction awaited, and most of all, no damns were given. I caught a couple children and a couple adults noticing and I acknowledged them with a slight nod in their direction where upon they immediately returned their attention to their own table. Not so much as a wide-eye was seen.

We tipped well and were welcomed back. You see, it truly is possible for reasonable folks to act responsibly without the brute force of a nanny-state mentality and outright prohibition.

If I had needed to use my firearm for protection, "a good shoot is a good shoot" as we've recently seen in the Gerald Ung case. I have never been one to govern my life as the subject of fear-mongering. I advocate: common-sense, knowledge, and moderation, all subject to the "reasonable man" scrutiny. I am an adult. I act like an adult. I prefer to be treated like an adult. And I prefer not to have to surrender my 2A rights should I decide to have a beer with dinner.

“I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.”
Thomas Jefferson

I grew up in Maryland, and had a chance to see first hand what can happen when the nanny state runs amok and unchecked. I don't recommend that kind of life for a dog.

Choose wisely. Like a responsible adult. :wink:

What Curmudgeon and others are pointing out.

It's all about "self control" and acting like an adult. The most dangerous people I see in the bars are not the gun owners with their families having a drink, it's the reckless idiot who can't control their liquor intake, starting fights and getting behind the wheel causing a DUI related accident. People who possess self control and responsibility are usually not the John Wayne types getting plowed on Jagerbombs and $2 Yeunglings while playin Beer Pong all night. The problem I see in states like NY & NJ, they don't "trust" their citizens, so they have to inact rules and regulations like a parent does to a 12 year old. Pretty much a "Don't do this and you can't do that" Here's a sample of NYC at its finest.

1. No one carries firearms, no ccw (public = premise permit).
2. If you have a premise permit, you can only transport your firearm in a locked case with the ammo seperate.
3. No riffles (even ruger 10/22) can have a mag or capacity more than 5 rounds.
4. No handguns can have a mag more than 10 rounds.

The problem is that gun regulations can be a slippery slope.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back