ALL "first handguns" should be .22lr

hotti

Banned
because it takes several thousand rds to learn to use a pistol with adequate accuracy, safety and speed to make it of any real value to you. A rifle, perhaps, for slowfire hunting, you can learn well enough in 500 rds. But that's still $150 if you use milsurp 308, at the very least

For defensive ability with the pistol, I suggest a quality AirSoft gun first, while you learn to use a flashlight and the gun, learn point shooting, learn to use either hand by itself, learn to shoot with both eyes opens, swiftly using the sightins, while you learn fast draw, pivots/traverses, use of cover, etc. At 1/2 c per shot, and no trip to the range, the Air soft is a lot better than even the 4.5c per shot 22lr, and if you shoot yourself with it during a fast draw, you will THANK me a lot! :)

2000 rds of Airsoft with a good coach, or perhaps even with just forum-advice, some books, and a video or 2, you will be ready for the (used) sub $300 .22 handgun. At a savings of $40 a thousand rds, you will have already paid for the Air Soft. With face and throat protection, you can learn things with Airsoft (with a shooting buddy) that can't be learned with live ammo, too.

Saving $200 per thousand rds,as vs centerfire ammo, the .22 has come close enough to paying for itself, at a lousy 1000rds, that you can certainly sell it without losing a dime on the deal. That's IF you don't want to keep it around for teaching others. About 2000rds of .22 is needed, tho, to get you ready to learn about the centerfire, if it's a mild, easily used rd, like the 9mm.

If you don't know a LOT about using your pistol, it's just a "bluff" and you can bluff just as well with the "mere" .22 as with any other gun. Nobody wants to get shot. A bullet in your torso means either go to the hospital or die of the infection. If you go to the hospital, by law they HAVE to tell the cops about gunshot wounds, so you are going to prison or die if you get shot. So, if you leave the attacker an "out", 80% of the time or more, the .22 will suffice without having to be fired., If you are skilled with it and know to empty it at his head, it will suffice about half of the remaining 20% of the time, too. So the odds are 10 to one, that IF you are skilled and determined, the 22 will suffice. We pay a LOT of money to get another 5% of sufficient ability, by using centerfires! It's called the "law of diminishing returns". 5% of the time, nothing you have or can do will save you, the attackers get the jump on you, shoot you first, etc, skill can't handle everything.

I drew my ccwed pistol on men 4x, so fast that even tho they were mere ft away, they had to stop in their tracks. What you want, brains splattered on my resume? Yeah, anyone who comes along, and knows more than you do about guns or shooting is a "troll", without a doubt.

I agree with hotti simply because I started shooting at the ripe old age of 5 with a High Standard semi auto .22 pistol. With my dad's guidance and supervision of course. I skipped the bb guns and airsoft introduction period. Moved to a 12 gauge pump at the age of 12 or 13 with lots of .22 rifle time and hunting with dad using his 12. 22's shoot cheap, you learn how to site, hold, shoot,and load. All the necessary basics to move up to "big boy" guns. Nothing wrong with her idea of starting and progressing.

witnessphilG2804_468x337.jpg

Hotti testifies:

I drew my ccwed pistol on men 4x, so fast that even tho they were mere ft away, they had to stop in their tracks. What you want, brains splattered on my resume? Yeah, anyone who comes along, and knows more than you do about guns or shooting is a "troll", without a doubt.

Must have been the lunar eclipse this morning calling the trolls (hotti and Pustic) to come out.

I drew my ccwed pistol on men 4x, so fast that even tho they were mere ft away, they had to stop in their tracks.
Well ok if you had to pull your weapon 4 times you are either:
1) A coward too damn reliant on your weapon
2) Involved in some very questionable activity
3) Full of $hit
or 4) any combination of the above

Most people that carry do so in the hopes they never have to use it. Having to draw it once is bad luck, twice is almost unthinkable, and three or more is well see options 1,2,3 and 4 above.

What you want, brains splattered on my resume?
If they are yours sure, I am against suicide but I am against stupid people breading more.

Yeah, anyone who comes along, and knows more than you do about guns or shooting is a "troll", without a doubt.

No anyone that comes along THINKING THEY KNOW MORE THEN EVERYONE ELSE DOES is a "troll", without a doubt

Well ok if you had to pull your weapon 4 times you are either:
1) A coward too damn reliant on your weapon
2) Involved in some very questionable activity
3) Full of $hit
or 4) any combination of the above...

This guy is clearly at least 2-4. I suspect he probably fits number one as well!

Good Catch!

-Doc

I think everyone should own a 22lr simply for range costs, however I fail to see how practice with a 22 helps with practice from a caliber that actually has recoil. Other then maybe drawing techniques.

Cotillion, basic mechanics. The same mechanics to draw, site and hit the target with a 22 as with a 45. Cheaper and easier for a youngster or beginner to handle. No difference than from a T-Ball bat to a major league size...the swing is basically the same.

Interesting.... Now, I used to love to shoot .22s. However, doesn't come close to a .45. The right 9mm isn't that much more to shoot cost wise or recoil. (I reload)
Airsoft training is worked on with some of the guys who teach. I love the concept. Practice on a live target without getting killed. Work on scenarios. Yup, I'm good with that.

However, to make the bold statement that everyone's "first pistol" should be a .22. I don't think so. Perhaps you are right, but why can't a person fire 3-4,k through a 9mm or handgun of their choice? Expense? Possibly. Maybe not. By shooting a higher caliber more often, perhaps that person becomes better than they would have otherwise?
Just a thought.
YMMV

I agree with hotti simply because I started shooting at the ripe old age of 5 with a High Standard semi auto .22 pistol. With my dad's guidance and supervision of course. I skipped the bb guns and airsoft introduction period. Moved to a 12 gauge pump at the age of 12 or 13 with lots of .22 rifle time and hunting with dad using his 12. 22's shoot cheap, you learn how to site, hold, shoot,and load. All the necessary basics to move up to "big boy" guns. Nothing wrong with her idea of starting and progressing.
Understood...But if you have been 'following' hotti's other posts, something is seriously amiss.

Outlaw, No I haven't followed her posts. First one I have read. I will add that I don't think the 22 issue is an "absolute", just a good idea for many.

Agree with outlaw and sr9....22 is a great round for training...but hotti does seem off...especially with the other posts.

because it takes several thousand rds to learn to use a pistol with adequate accuracy, safety and speed to make it of any real value to you. A rifle, perhaps, for slowfire hunting, you can learn well enough in 500 rds. But that's still $150 if you use milsurp 308, at the very least

For defensive ability with the pistol, I suggest a quality AirSoft gun first, while you learn to use a flashlight and the gun, learn point shooting, learn to use either hand by itself, learn to shoot with both eyes opens, swiftly using the sightins, while you learn fast draw, pivots/traverses, use of cover, etc. At 1/2 c per shot, and no trip to the range, the Air soft is a lot better than even the 4.5c per shot 22lr, and if you shoot yourself with it during a fast draw, you will THANK me a lot! :)

2000 rds of Airsoft with a good coach, or perhaps even with just forum-advice, some books, and a video or 2, you will be ready for the (used) sub $300 .22 handgun. At a savings of $40 a thousand rds, you will have already paid for the Air Soft. With face and throat protection, you can learn things with Airsoft (with a shooting buddy) that can't be learned with live ammo, too.

Saving $200 per thousand rds,as vs centerfire ammo, the .22 has come close enough to paying for itself, at a lousy 1000rds, that you can certainly sell it without losing a dime on the deal. That's IF you don't want to keep it around for teaching others. About 2000rds of .22 is needed, tho, to get you ready to learn about the centerfire, if it's a mild, easily used rd, like the 9mm.

If you don't know a LOT about using your pistol, it's just a "bluff" and you can bluff just as well with the "mere" .22 as with any other gun. Nobody wants to get shot. A bullet in your torso means either go to the hospital or die of the infection. If you go to the hospital, by law they HAVE to tell the cops about gunshot wounds, so you are going to prison or die if you get shot. So, if you leave the attacker an "out", 80% of the time or more, the .22 will suffice without having to be fired., If you are skilled with it and know to empty it at his head, it will suffice about half of the remaining 20% of the time, too. So the odds are 10 to one, that IF you are skilled and determined, the 22 will suffice. We pay a LOT of money to get another 5% of sufficient ability, by using centerfires! It's called the "law of diminishing returns". 5% of the time, nothing you have or can do will save you, the attackers get the jump on you, shoot you first, etc, skill can't handle everything.

Are you for real. People like you scare the hell out of me. Just your statement of useing your pistol etc. as a bluff would get you thrown out of most training classes. You may influence some other poor smuck with your trash type training but I sure hope not. Please don't clutter up this board with your garbage.
Bill

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back