Wounded Roadkill Question

cartisdm

The other day my fiancee and I almost struck a deer at 12am off I-66, in what some would call "the country." She is a HUGE animal person and vegetarian so the thought stuck with me longer than usual. If I were to strike the deer and it was visibly wounded beyond healing, should I get out and shoot it with my .45?

Growing up I spent plenty of time hunting so I'm no foreigner to slaughtering deer, but after meeting my future wife I've since given up the pastime (it was never that big for me anyway, I'd rather fish). However, if we struck an animal and it was going to suffer in pain until it died, would I be expecting any trouble from local law enforcement if I just got out, shot it, then left it? I realize that located plays a big part in this issue because the closer to an urban environment you are, the more likely trouble with firearms will occur but what would the general rule of thumb be?

I remember a time when my dad struck a deer with his truck. He grabbed his butcher knife (we were on out way out for a hunt), chased down the deer, cut its throat, then tossed it in the back of the truck. Now, that's a little brutal an would absolutely mortify my fiancee. However, I think she would understand that the animal needed to be put down and for practicality sake calling a vet isn't the best option.

Sorry for the long drawn out story. The sum things up, if you hit a deer on the side of the road should you just shoot it? Try to be realistic in your answer and understand that animals are hit all over, not just in rural areas. Discharging a firearm that close to the road is most likely illegal under all circumstances, but putting and animal down and getting back in my car to carry on about my day doesn't seem like something that's going to put me on America's Most Wanted list...

Are you talking about if someone is looking or there is nobody around?

Although there are those here who tell you 'never talk to the cop about the law', the fact remains that they are the one's who will arrest you.

I guess I would say, talk to the sherrif or a hwy patrolman in your area and get his thoughts and maybe discuss scenarios of where and when.

Me, I would probably do it if it were where it was unpopulated. If I were on a road that backed up to a subdivision, then I would just call the law and let them deal with it.

God forbid someone saw and reported you and all of a sudden there is an APB out on your car. You think your fiance would be traumatized seeing a deer killed, guess what? I think being pulled when they know you were firing a gun would be way worse:):)

JMHO!

KK

Always best to always call the local law, you can never guess what they would do if you just put it down. Trust me many places they are just wanting a reason to make a charge against someone.

I'd probably put the animal out of its misery, so long as I could do so safely. If it were a populated area, I might call 911 or the local police non-emergency number (if I knew it), to let them know what I was doing.

Call the police

If you hit the deer you should call the police anyway. Your insurance may baulk at your claim if there is no police report.*
If in a rural area I cannot believe anyone would blink an eye at putting it down.
In town you might upset some people.
If the police are slow in responding ask the 911 operator for permission.

*My father worked in insurance and always told me if a deer runs out in front of you, aim for the back legs. If you are in accident and there is no proof a deer was involved you will be seen as a failure to control. In defense of the insurance company on this, anyone can claim a deer ran across th road. In this case you can't blame the company, you need to blame the people who have lied to them.

Where I'm from, its illegal to shoot from, across, or within 150 yards of, an improved road. So if its anything like that where you are, shooting would be an unwise choice. I will say that in one situation the sheriff was called out for a wounded deer on the roadside. Rather than use his own firearm he ended up borrowing my neighbors 22 to dispatch the deer. Less paperwork that way. Might be an option for you if you cared to hang around and then make your gun available to the LEO when/if they showed up. Chances are the thing would die before they arrived anyway, so its a rather moot point. Personally, in California, I wouldn't shoot unless it was a dangerous animal, and no other choice was practical.

I'd contact DNR first

They might give you a more humane answer and quicker. Besides which, shooting a game animal in or out of season with out a license is a violation of the law whether you take the animal or not.

Where I'm from, its illegal to shoot from, across, or within 150 yards of, an improved road. So if its anything like that where you are, shooting would be an unwise choice. I will say that in one situation the sheriff was called out for a wounded deer on the roadside. Rather than use his own firearm he ended up borrowing my neighbors 22 to dispatch the deer. Less paperwork that way. Might be an option for you if you cared to hang around and then make your gun available to the LEO when/if they showed up. Chances are the thing would die before they arrived anyway, so its a rather moot point. Personally, in California, I wouldn't shoot unless it was a dangerous animal, and no other choice was practical.

A real good point you make about shooting near a road. Like I posted one never knows what the cops will do.

As much as I'd like to put the animal out of its misery, I wouldn't risk my CC permit nor my freedom by discharging a firearm in a potentially illegal way. Call the police and let them deal with it. The animal is most likely in shock anyway and probably isn't feeling much pain.

NC State Law requires you to report an accident. I'd report it and advise that you have proper credentials to carry a weapon. Let them advise you as to the resolution. Sooner ask and be safe.

If you shoot it, you most likely will be breaking the law. If nobody is around, not too much risk. If you call 911, they will probably send a department of wildlife officer out to kill it.

Around here, you take care of it. Shoot it, drag it off the road, then inform the sheriff's office or Fish and Game. There's no way you'd get prosecuted in this part of the country.

In Wisconsin, that would be illegal. A police officer would come and would have to shoot it. If you wanted to take the deer for meat, you could but only with a car kill permit from a police officer/state patrol/game warden.

In Wisconsin, that would be illegal. A police officer would come and would have to shoot it. If you wanted to take the deer for meat, you could but only with a car kill permit from a police officer/state patrol/game warden.
Here in Wisconsin it happens ALOT in rural areas. Twice I hit a nice sized deer and just used a knife to finish it off then just called the sheriffs dept and they just told me to take it if I want it. They never even asked to come out and they just sent me a form to send out about the accident.

I guess it really all depends on the location. If I'm in BFE, even if it's "against the law" it's not really going to be a big deal. In the city, calling the local authority seems like the only option. My biggest concern is when you're right in that grey area and you have to sit and watch an animal suffer knowing you could easily help it. Let's just hope that scenario never happens, it will be ugly no matter what I decide I guess

Although most likely done many times, in Texas it is illegal to discharge a weapon from a highway call report accident and have game warden or police officer distroy the animal.

My 2 cents

When I lived in Wisconsin, somebody hit a raccoon on the road by our house. Its back end was paralyzed and it was obviously suffering. I called the sheriff and requested permission to shoot the animal. The operator told me to go ahead, so I put it out of its misery. No report was made and I didn't have any problems.

When I lived in Wisconsin, somebody hit a raccoon on the road by our house. Its back end was paralyzed and it was obviously suffering. I called the sheriff and requested permission to shoot the animal. The operator told me to go ahead, so I put it out of its misery. No report was made and I didn't have any problems.

Well, if another four years of our current regime happens I'd suppose that by the end of those four years that racoon might be eligible for a PETA backed medical plan similar to medicaid.

Around here, you take care of it. Shoot it, drag it off the road, then inform the sheriff's office or Fish and Game. There's no way you'd get prosecuted in this part of the country.

Where would that be? I need to put your part of the country on my "places I might retire" list! MAN, I hate California!

Here in Wisconsin it happens ALOT in rural areas. Twice I hit a nice sized deer and just used a knife to finish it off then just called the sheriffs dept and they just told me to take it if I want it. They never even asked to come out and they just sent me a form to send out about the accident.

The different departments can handle it how they wish, but the simple fact is that killing an animal, out of season, without a license, is illegal. If you did have the proper hunting license, I suppose you could kill the animal within the legal requirments, but then you would need to tag it and register it properly. It looks a liitle fishy to game wardens when you "hit a deer" and "had to kill it". That is why they prefer a n officer dispatch the animal. Again, your local department may handle it differently, but if I were you I would demand/request politely they come out with a road kill tag. If you were to get stopped and had an untagged deer, could be more trouble than it is worth. Just my opinion.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back