Workplace weapon ban: what would/do you do?

croute

Just got a new job and they have a strict gun ban, stating all weapons are prohibited "unless authorized by the state." How is that to be interpreted? Only LEOs can carry? If you have a ccw, that's an authorization by the state? Not only that, but weapons aren't even allowed on the property, including the parking area. It states they can search you or your vehicle if there's any suspicion. Refusal to allow a search results in immediate termination.

This is an "at will" employment, so they could fire me for any reason. Obviously it would mean leaving my gun at home and only being able to carry at night and weekends. Almost not worth having a ccw.

So, what are your thoughts? Would you ask them to clarify?

What I feel is right isn't the problem. I'm sure you know what I feel is right, but I'm wondering if even asking for clarification is worth the risk.

It is a personal decision you must make yourself... and live with it's consequences... like life... Others are ALWAYS going to try to make the rules YOU must live by... Your only choice is whether to abide by them or not... (I refer to the absolutes.. ie .. granted by Our Creator)

PS.. LOVE the avatar/pic firefighterchen... (PPS.. my oldest son is with Douglas Co. Ga. fire dept. Thanks for all y'all do!)

That depends on the risk you want to take. You need to weigh the value of your job against your personal convictions. That being said, if you don't talk about the weapon in your vehicle, what suspicion could they have? Concealed means no one knows, even in your vehicle.

What I feel is right isn't the problem. I'm sure you know what I feel is right, but I'm wondering if even asking for clarification is worth the risk.

I'm not sure how you feel...You have posted some ridiculous statements about assault weapons bans before...So I would never venture to guess how your mind works...

It does matter what you feel is right. Do what you feel is right and just be prepared to accept the consequences with whatever you choose to do.

You don't need us to tell you what to do. If you want encouragement with whatever decision is all ready on your mind, then ask for that.

Good points guys. Just so you know, I'm not trying to get you to make up my mind, just curious as to what others out there do.

Firefighterchen- as far as I know, I've never participated in anything related to assault weapons in here. Not sure where you're getting that from.

Just got a new job and they have a strict gun ban, stating all weapons are prohibited "unless authorized by the state."

Check your state law. I work for a company that has offices all over North America. The company has a prohibition against weapon possession on property, with the exception in those states who have laws that allow those with CWP to keep weapons in their vehicles on employers property.

Sounds like the company that I work for. My understanding is that "unless authorized by the state" refers to states that not so many years ago made it illegal for employers to prevent lawful carry in your vehicle. Georgia, where I live, says that if the employer provides a secure parking area (meaning gated) then they can forbid you from having a weapon in your vehicle and subject you to search. If the parking area is not secured, then they cannot legally forbid it or search your locked vehicle. Of course, being an At Will Employment state, they can fire you for anything they are able to make up. Myself, I just don't park on company property. But I have that option without walking too far. In the end, you have to do what you feel you have to do.

Just leave your gun in the car. You going to be ok., if you do not let them know about your gun. They are not going to search you car, it is to risky for them.

But just to see what they say just ask for clarification on the ... Auth by the state ... Matter.

Please keep us informed

I work for a trucking company as a driver and once I got confirmation from two different states that there was no federal law regulation the possession or carry of firearms in a commercial vehicle, I decided to go for it. My employer has a no weapons policy and violation of that could cause some legal issues, but if you don't give anyone reason to suspect you are carrying, you should be good. I have never had a vehicle searched by anyone I've worked for and can't remember seeing anyone else being searched either. Be careful and don't let anyone know, your life and liberty depend on it.

Well clearly you're safe regarding applicable state laws. And being At Will you're correct they could let you go for any reason. My suggestion would be to contact fellow employees and inquire about if the company actually does "search". It's just a personal decision you'll have to make.

As you say, you already made your decision when you accepted the job offer. I made the same decision when I accepted my job offer with an agency with a total weapons ban. Their policy is in the Workplace Violence Prevention section of their personnel regs. For sure could argue that one - but not win. Its a case of opinion vs. fact. I can argue my opinions all day long but the fact is they have a policy against "Unauthorized firearms and weapons are prohibited on the premises of any "agency" property or site where "agency" business is conducted." No clue who or where I could go to ask to become authorized.

What I've chosen to do is leave my pistol in my car in the parking lot. What is difficult is driving agency vehicles where I can't carry.

Before I moved to this agency I worked at another agency with a similar prohibition. They did authorize the Security boss to carry concealed - and he did. So there was someone around if needed. Maybe I should apply to my current agency to be the security guy...

Bottom line - my choice was whether to work there or not knowing about the weapons prohibition. I made the choice to work there anyway. So I follow their policy (except for the parking lot) and live with it.

Go to the sheriff's office and present your CCW license, and then show him/her your weapon (picture would do) and ask if that weapon is 'approved by the state'. When/if he/she says yes, ask for written verification of that fact, signed by him/her.... and go from there.

I know that at least one of the past sheriffs in these parts would have done it.... :haha:

But seriously, you have to know that your employer means no guns, period, yes?

Just got a new job and they have a strict gun ban, stating all weapons are prohibited "unless authorized by the state." How is that to be interpreted? Only LEOs can carry? If you have a ccw, that's an authorization by the state? Not only that, but weapons aren't even allowed on the property, including the parking area. It states they can search you or your vehicle if there's any suspicion. Refusal to allow a search results in immediate termination.

This is an "at will" employment, so they could fire me for any reason. Obviously it would mean leaving my gun at home and only being able to carry at night and weekends. Almost not worth having a ccw.

So, what are your thoughts? Would you ask them to clarify?
A question you need to clarify with your employer, not here. They can search your car only if you allow them to or they have a warrant. I've been down that route as a security manager. We couldn't search the car without a warrant according to legal and the employer said forget it. However the employee had admitted having a weapon in the vehicle and was terminated for not following company policy. Is it worth it?

Good points guys. Just so you know, I'm not trying to get you to make up my mind, just curious as to what others out there do.

Firefighterchen- as far as I know, I've never participated in anything related to assault weapons in here. Not sure where you're getting that from.

Oh I am sorry, I sincerely apologize, I have mistaken you for cluznar.

As far as me, in jobs that have had a no firearms for employees policy, I either did not carry or concealed means concealed and no body found out. I waited till the topic came to at work on its own and felt the atmosphere. If the atmosphere seemed friendly, I would privately speak with management (done that once) which worked out well for me.

When it comes down to it, I always knew what I felt was right, and it has always played out well for me to act on my instincts.

Thanks for the insight guys. It actually helped quite a bit. I'll see if there's parking somewhere nearby. At least I would be safe (as far as the company is concerned) and still be able to have my gun during the commute. I'll get to know the people for awhile and decide whether to bring the issue up with them, or decide to keep it in my car on company property. That'll probably be the best route for now.

Our company has the same policy, but since I am a union employee and it was not part of the negotiated contract I have interpreted that to mean it does not apply, that it only applies to the non union employees that are not part of the collective bargaining unit. I just keep my mouth shut and my weapon concealed, no one needs to know. I don't however work out of our office, but do have a company vehicle that I leave my weapon (the majority of the time) in when I get to customer sites .

Should anyone ever say anything I'm sure the worst that could happen is I loose my company vehicle, then they have to pay more for me to drive my own. You just have to decide what is more important, your safety and security or possibly loosing your job. I'll take my chances I can find another job, I was looking for one when I found this one.

Here in northern Nevada, my employer has the same rule. No firearms at work. Most of the time its not a big deal, but hunting season.....well the uppers know there are weapons in the rigs in the company parking lot. As for me, I choose to leave my pistol at home because $32 an hour is worth not having my sidearm for the 20 mile bus ride I take to work

Croute, you ask a legal question that may need the services of an attorney to answer. In my state, the legislature reserves unto itself the right to determine who can legally carry (with some exceptions). However, both my wife and I work in those exceptions. I am a federal employee and 10 USC XXXX prohibits carry onto the work place. My wife is a teacher. Oddly, I can carry onto school property as a licensed CHL holder, but she is barred by the district. This internet commando isn't qualified to make a recommendation in your case, but I would think that an attorney in your state should be able to give you sound advise.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back