Women's purse carry question...

Andey - I own a Sig P938 Equinox and I must say it is a terrific shooting gun. I've owned it about 3 weeks. I also have owned a SW Bodyguard 380 for about 18 months. I love both of these equally but for different reasons.

Their is no doubt the trigger, the sights and accuracy are better with the 938 but for a daily carry, especially in warmer weather I prefer the 380. If you stack the 2 pistols on top of one another the 938 is only a bit bigger but it weighs 30% more... 17oz to 12oz empty. The SW 380 is a bit slimmer and smoother and it fits the hand really well as does the 938 but it's not as easily concealed and you know you are wearing it compared the the 380.

I can shoot tighter groups with the 938 but can still put 5 of 6 shots in a pie plate at 20 feet with the 380. All of them in at 15 feet and that is probably the distance you will be shooting at. In fact I have stated that if you shoot someone at more than 25 feet away you will probably have a hard time convincing a court you felt threatened.

All in all, for a women, I would consider the 380 SW as her daily carry. It also has a laser which she might like.

Where my wife works they found a ladies purse with her CCW permit and her gun in it. They were not able to reach her by phone so they had no choice but to call the Sheriffs. I don't know what happened or how that turned out.

I am happy you want to make your fiancé safer. I hope she pre-approved the purchase. Each person chooses the best firearm based on fit, trigger, how it feels to shoot, etc. My husband and I rarely find the same firearm a good choice. He absolutely hates to shoot one of my EDCs and loves the other. Personal preference is everything.

As a woman, I can say that finding the perfect carry option is not easy. What works for some clothing styles will not work for others. The most secure way to carry is always going to be on the body. Purses get set down, hung on the back of a chair, etc. Watch how women leave their purse in shopping carts and walk away, etc. If a gun is inside, that purse should never be out of touch with the body. I know some people will argue there is a locking zipper on the gun compartment. My argument is: ever hear of the popular "snatch and grab"? My advice for purses is to leave them for the times that you have no other options like wardrobe malfunctions or outfits that there is no way to carry i.e. bathing suits.

There are plenty of other choices available and expanding daily: the Flashbang holster (very, very discrete and surprisingly comfortable) or any of the Pin-Up collection like the Betty, the Ava... PistolWear makes a shoulder holster variant called the Trump Card that is comfortable and multi-positional. There are clothing items like what UnderTech makes. The list goes on and on.

Thanks for all the info guys (and girls). I haven't had time to get her by the gun shop yet, but I went by myself the other day just to check out a few things and narrow down some options. Not sure if she will like it when she handles it, but I really like the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. I may have to get myself one if she doesn't like it.

I like to conceal carry in a purse, also, and have the same habits of changing purses and love to use colorful, as well as, designer purses. Although I am new to concealed carry, I began searching for good purses before my CPL arrived. Google has been my friend. Just have her google "designer concealed carry purses" or something like that, and there are a few nice companies that make very colorful designer purses for carrying. My favorite is Gun Totin' Mama's, actually, because they have a lifetime warranty. Also, the straps are steel reinforced and guaranteed not to be able to be cut through by a would-be purse snatcher. Even if I would shoot through my purse if necessary, they will replace it. While most of the selections are brown and black, they do have some colorful options. My favorite purse from them cost $180 but I also have one from another designer that was $299. She doesn't have to sacrifice style to carry her gun. Good luck! (I carry a Glock 19 Gen 4 - 9 mm)

Last edited:
Update: I was just at Cabelas and they had two red purses by Gun Totin' Mamas. Very pretty. One of the red purses, however, was rather small so there wouldn't be room in it for much of anything besides the gun. Maybe there would be enough room for some lip gloss, keys and a cell phone. I wouldn't like it, though, because I carry quite a bit in my purse!

Regards!

Something to think about with semi auto pistols...can the person charge the battery. The slide on my firearm is just loosening up a bit after 7 months of owning it. My wife's friend carries a 38 Lady Smith. She might be getting a used Sig 224 . I'm sure if we'll take a little getting used to for her.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back