Winchester JHP quality?

901-Memphis

I am not a big fan of inexpensive self defense rounds but i came across some Winchester 180 GR Hollow Point ammunition at my local Walmart (NOT the PDX, the whitebox) and the price was right so i grabbed them up. They are 40 S&W Caliber for my S&W SW40VE

I normally use Speer Gold Dot hollow points for self defense and keep them in my loaded gun, but i am wondering how these would hold up if i ever even needed to use them? Right now i am going to load up my extra 3 magazines with them because after the Gold Dots all i have is Winchester FMJ range rounds. I only have 20 of my Gold Dots left after doing some range tests with my other 20 box to test cycling.

I am pretty sure the jacket isn't bonded to the core, so these will probably separate in ballistics tests? Just wanting some opinions on if anyone has ever used them.

Link to product.

http://www.priceinsanity.com/servlet/the-1066384/Winchester-Ammo-USA40JHP-40/Detail

Stick with the Gold Dots for SD. If they're working and function properly in your handgun, then stick with it. In the typical SD situation, you'll probably fire less than a full mag of ammo. JMHO. YMMV

gf

I have the gold dots loaded in the gun, and i am not wanting to permanently switch to the Winchester, but with money tight they were a good price and they weren't so cheap that it worried me they were useless, but i am just wondering if it came to the point where i did cycle all my Speer Gold Dots and i had to rely on the Winchesters would there be any concern as long as they cycle in my gun?

I have the gold dots loaded in the gun, and i am not wanting to permanently switch to the Winchester, but with money tight they were a good price and they weren't so cheap that it worried me they were useless, but i am just wondering if it came to the point where i did cycle all my Speer Gold Dots and i had to rely on the Winchesters would there be any concern as long as they cycle in my gun?

As long as the ammo is functioning properly in your gun and you're able to hit what you're shooting at, then you should be good to go with just about any "expanding" SD round. Whatever you decide to carry, be sure to fire enough rounds to ensure proper function in your gun and impact on your target. You'll want to be very confident that your SD rounds will function when it matters most.

gf

I've had no issues with the Winchester rounds in my glock 22, have fired over 100 of them with no feed problems.

Like Glock Fan said, as long as they function in your gun and you can hit what you're shooting at, no problem. Winchester is good ammo, just depends on how dead you want them I guess.

to all,

I CCW a Sig-Sauer P6 (a P225 that is German Forestry Police SURPLUS) & "have access to LOTS of " 9MM government spec hardball" - my carry load is a "ballistic twin" of hardball & it's GREAT.

the Winchester stock number is: " 9JHP-115" - it comes in a WHITE box & is CHEAP. - you might want to try a box or three.

yours, TN46

I routinely buy Win white box at the walmart and have no problems. And I also have used the 180g HP.
Win white box 180 g HP have very good ballistic numbers and are acceptable for SD and HD.
However, I do use Win Ranger 165g SXT HP as my std carry round.
I also buy Win PDX .45 230g HP, and it came from my walmart.
I guess, walmart is walmart, but Winchester ammo is still Winchester, and I have never had a problem.

Memphis,
If it cycles and shoots straight, nobody but the coroner will know the difference if you have to use it and you've done your part (meaning you shoot straight and hit what you are aiming at).

Any extra expansion you may get with the Gold Dot (or Hydra-shok or Corbon's self defense loads using the Speer 'Flying Ashtray', any other self defense load for that matter) is moot if you hit the 'STOP' button with an accurate shot.

Yes and no. Yes I'd rather have a rifle, no, as long as they function reliably. Yes, if you were in any firefight that required a reload, no, would you want to be shot with one?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back