Will the Feds step in and tell states no?

S&WM&P40

With ten states pushing through laws allowing teachers and citizens to carry firearms in schools. Will the jack booted thugs in DC step in and say NO? I hear talk all the time about there being no need to carry firearms with you daily. Your only setting yourself up to be attacked, weapon taken and now you armed a badguy etc..

I also love how the media is milking the **** out of this time of morning. Here almost 2weeks later, they are still milking it every chance they get.

Which ten states? What legislation? I have heard governors of a few states call for discussions of this, but I have not heard of any legislation.

According to Buckeye Firearms the Ohio Attorney General, Mike Dewine is calling for school employees to be armed.

USA today, claims Texas is already allowing it, Michigan already allows it but as the is currently written you must carry the firearm in the open. They just sent another bill to the governors desk and he vetoed it. He wants the current law to be changed so they you can still carry in schools but it must be concealed.

I dislike 'forcing' anything (to whit: requiring concealed carry in schools, as a component of weapons in schools), but I do agree that the knowledge of the presence of a firearm can be disturbing to some children. Keeping it out of their sight doesn't strike me as a bad thing at all..

I hope they start eliminating the 'no carry' locations, in Ohio as well as other locations.. about the only one that I can see 'sense' (quotations for effect!) in maintaining, is courthouses - then again, those are already set up with metal detectors and armed guards, at least that's been my experience - so there's already an armed protective presence.

Which ten states?

Which ten states? What legislation? I have heard governors of a few states call for discussions of this, but I have not heard of any legislation.

Michigan for one. The legislature passed a law requiring teachers to carry in school - or at least that's what I read. I then read about an hour ago that after the legislature passed the law, the governor refused to sign it.

As this matter about carry in schools is progressing, and making me feel like there's still hope for us and our country, I'm wondering what requirements the states mentioned above have in place for training?
The reason I ask - NY won't let you TOUCH a handgun until you get the permit ( I swear to god ), so here a teacher could conceivably get a CCW and really not be qualified to carry safely. ( As my permit was being processed, I sought professional training in another state and am educated about NY penal codes and specifically Article 39 which spells out justifiable use of deadly force etc etc. The point is, nobody made me do it, it wasn't REQUIRED, as it should be everywhere for obvious reasons. )

I do believe the States have the choice of arming teachers not the Feds.
USA today, claims Texas is already allowing it, Michigan already allows it but as the is currently written you must carry the firearm in the open. They just sent another bill to the governors desk and he vetoed it. He wants the current law to be changed so they you can still carry in schools but it must be concealed.

I believe it's in Harrold, TX

[COLOR=#000000 !important]By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
[/COLOR]
December 20, 2012

HARROLD, Texas - In this tiny Texas town, children and their parents don't give much thought to safety at the community's lone school - mostly because some of the teachers are carrying concealed weapons.
In remote Harrold, the nearest sheriff's office is 30 minutes away, and people tend to know - and trust - one another. So the school board voted to let teachers bring guns to school.

In the awful aftermath of last week's Connecticut elementary school shooting, lawmakers in a growing number of states - including Oklahoma, Missouri, Minnesota, South Dakota and Oregon - have said they will consider laws allowing teachers and school administrators to carry firearms at school."We don't have money for a security guard, but this is a better solution," Superintendent David Thweatt said. "A shooter could take out a guard or officer with a visible, holstered weapon, but our teachers have master's degrees, are older and have had extensive training. And their guns are hidden. We can protect our children."

Texas law bans guns in schools unless the school has given written authorization. Arizona and six other states have similar laws with exceptions for people who have licenses to carry concealed weapons.
Texas town allows teachers to carry concealed guns | CapeCodOnline.com

I believe it's in Harrold, TX

[COLOR=#000000 !important]By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
[/COLOR]
December 20, 2012

HARROLD, Texas - In this tiny Texas town, children and their parents don't give much thought to safety at the community's lone school - mostly because some of the teachers are carrying concealed weapons.
In remote Harrold, the nearest sheriff's office is 30 minutes away, and people tend to know - and trust - one another. So the school board voted to let teachers bring guns to school.

In the awful aftermath of last week's Connecticut elementary school shooting, lawmakers in a growing number of states - including Oklahoma, Missouri, Minnesota, South Dakota and Oregon - have said they will consider laws allowing teachers and school administrators to carry firearms at school."We don't have money for a security guard, but this is a better solution," Superintendent David Thweatt said. "A shooter could take out a guard or officer with a visible, holstered weapon, but our teachers have master's degrees, are older and have had extensive training. And their guns are hidden. We can protect our children."

Texas law bans guns in schools unless the school has given written authorization. Arizona and six other states have similar laws with exceptions for people who have licenses to carry concealed weapons.
Texas town allows teachers to carry concealed guns | CapeCodOnline.com

This is magnificent, I am dead serious.

Law abiding citizens do not walk into schools, or anywhere else, and kill people.

Armed law abiding citizens may be your first defense against these kinds of attacks.

What would you want, immediate response or wait for the police to show up? I know if my kids where in a similar situation I would want immediate response. Our schools are open targets for these kinds of people by the laws that are in place. You can not take a weapon out of a perpetrators hands, weather it be a gun, knife, car, baseball bat, ect. but you can stop him cold with a armed immediate response.

Michigan for one. The legislature passed a law requiring teachers to carry in school - or at least that's what I read. I then read about an hour ago that after the legislature passed the law, the governor refused to sign it.
Whoa, there. There is NO "requirement" in Michigan for teachers (or anyone else) to carry in schools. Here's what happened. Cut and pasted excerpts from Huff Post Detroit. Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder rejected a bill Tuesday that would have allowed people who receive special training to carry concealed firearms into formerly gun-free zones like churches and school buildings.
While the governor rejected Senate Bill 59, he did sign two other bills that streamline the process for handgun purchases and eliminate restrictions on interstate rifle and shotgun transactions to states contiguous to Michigan.

Something to think about. What about this? Allow teachers to be armed at school. It would be voluntary and confidential if desired, but each teacher would have to undergo a special training program, probably by the State Police (In MI) or equivalent. Periodic refresher training for those volunteers would be required. And the most important part of this program would be spreading the word that school zones are NO LONGER gun free and you won't have any idea WHO is armed and who isn't! My belief is that these sickos are, for the most part, COWARDS. Which is why they target gun-free areas rather than their local police station!

If we don't arm our citizenry then all we have left is the govt protecting us. How's that been working out for you? Really don't know of ANY Gov't program that working out for the American Citizen. I NOT anti Gov't, I'm anti waste. Especially since it's coming out of the producers pocket.

As this matter about carry in schools is progressing, and making me feel like there's still hope for us and our country, I'm wondering what requirements the states mentioned above have in place for training?
The reason I ask - NY won't let you TOUCH a handgun until you get the permit ( I swear to god ), so here a teacher could conceivably get a CCW and really not be qualified to carry safely. ( As my permit was being processed, I sought professional training in another state and am educated about NY penal codes and specifically Article 39 which spells out justifiable use of deadly force etc etc. The point is, nobody made me do it, it wasn't REQUIRED, as it should be everywhere for obvious reasons. )

Unless I am misreading your post, you are saying the training should be REQUIRED everywhere for obvious reasons, correct?

Said it before, had that school nurse been trained and armed, there is a good chance that no children would have been killed since the idiot likely would not have made it out of the front office...I believe teachers and any other law abiding citizen for that matter, be allowed to carry anywhere since the presence of good has a negative effect on the presence of evil.

I oh so love that the vary same people who claim we have no need for firearms, let alone a need to carry them daily. Are the vary same people who live under the protection of firearms 24/7.

Even the citizens who claim we need to ban guns live under the protection of them. You call 911 because you want someone with a gun to come save you.

If we took away their body guards for a day or few hours, and threw them to the wolves so to speak. They would be singing a different tune.

I fail to see how it's acceptable for the rich and elites to have small army's walking the streets with Assault weapons on them waiting to use them.

Yet we as citizens are being told we can't even own them..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back