Wife needs carry permit too??? This makes no sense.

sequimgunz

Pardon me if this has been covered elsewhere. I've carried for many years, but this is the first time I've heard of this situation.

A friend took a combination safety, legal, and concealed carry class yesterday and the Instructor told him that if he is traveling in the car with his wife, and is carrying on his person, that his wife must also have a CPL for it to be legal. He was told that this does not apply to friends, kids, etc - only his wife. And we're not talking about a handgun in the glove box, stuffed under the seat, or somewhere else other than on his person.

This makes absolutely no sense to me, and I suspect the Instructor is taking some strange sort of interpretation of legal statutes. Does anyone have any definitive information on this??

That seems bizarre. It would help to know what state you are talking about. There are variations from state to state, but this seems way off base. When an instructor comes up with something like that, they should cite the specific law and paragraph. It would be interesting to know if the instructor claimed to be a lawyer.

Does anyone have any definitive information on this??

Can't give a definitive answer if we don't know what state.

In Washington (and in every other state, as far as I know) what the CPL instructor stated was complete B.S.

The three biggest sources of misinformation concerning firearms law continue to prove themselves to be gun shop employees, CCW instructors, and law enforcement officers - in no particular order.

In Washington the applicable law is RCW 9.41.050:

RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

If I am carrying my gun on my person, my wife has neither carried nor placed a loaded pistol in the vehicle and therefore does not require a CPL.

Sorry - I forgot to mention which state. It's Washington State.

I may have to give the Instructor a call, as I'm still dumbfounded by the statement. Ordinarily I would think that perhaps my friend misunderstood, but there were actually TWO friends attending and they both said that's what they were told. I just can't imagine.....

Sorry - I forgot to mention which state. It's Washington State.

I may have to give the Instructor a call, as I'm still dumbfounded by the statement. Ordinarily I would think that perhaps my friend misunderstood, but there were actually TWO friends attending and they both said that's what they were told. I just can't imagine.....

So, not only were they paying for unnecessary instruction in Washington, they were getting wrong information. I would be very interested to see any type of reference for this incorrect information that the instructor/school would provide.

That would be the same rational that would require her to have a valid drivers license while a passenger in your car.

First, I don't think that instructor's information is correct; however, originally, my wife and I, both, held carry permits because while we were at home the both of us had equal access to the numerous guns that were kept around the house. Neither of us wanted this situation to ever become any sort of incontrovertible legal issue.

At home, and under certain circumstances, it might be an advantage for both spouses to hold LTCF's; but, here in Pennsylvania and inside a vehicle, only the individual who is armed needs to have an LTCF (License-To-Carry, Firearm).

First, I don't think that instructor's information is correct; however, originally, my wife and I, both, held carry permits because while we were at home the both of us had equal access to the numerous guns that were kept around the house. Neither of us wanted this situation to ever become any sort of incontrovertible legal issue.

At home, and under certain circumstances, it might be an advantage for both spouses to hold LTCF's; but, here in Pennsylvania and inside a vehicle, only the individual who is armed needs to have an LTCF (License-To-Carry, Firearm).

Why at home? You do not need a carry permit at your own home.

The instructor is obviously incorrect.

And because there is a vehicle parked in the driveway she also needs a drivers license? Same logic.

My wife has her carry permit because she carries when she leaves the house, with or without me. Prior to getting her permit she had access to guns and even carrying on her person at home, and on our property is 100% legal without a permit.

Sounds like the instructor got his information off the internet.

Of course, everything on the internet is true.

Bon jour.

The instructor is wrong. I live in WA and if I'm in my car, I'm carrying. Wife or no wife. I teach a concealed carry class too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is not so in Illinois either. However, my wife did get her license because if I went into the Post Office (where I can't carry), she would have to go in with me because the gun had to be left in the car. Also, when we drive very far, I place my loaded gun beside me between the seats. Technically, when I got out to pump gas and left the gun in the car with her, she could be fined. Getting her license to carry solves some of these scenarios, plus other inconvenient moments. And, since I am an instructor, the cost for her to get her permit wasn't that bad; I gave her a break on her class fees :)

I finally had a lengthy conversation with the Instructor who made the statement, and I'm convinced it was little more than a marketing ploy to get class members to sign their spouses up. It kind of boiled down to "a bad cop stopping you and looking for something to nail you with". And, "with both of you licensed, you could simply go on your way", and, "it's a lot cheaper than hiring an attorney". Basically, IMHO, a load of nonsense. It's disappointing that an Instructor would taint the class in an effort to drum up more business.

This is not so in Illinois either. However, my wife did get her license because if I went into the Post Office (where I can't carry), she would have to go in with me because the gun had to be left in the car. Also, when we drive very far, I place my loaded gun beside me between the seats. Technically, when I got out to pump gas and left the gun in the car with her, she could be fined. Getting her license to carry solves some of these scenarios, plus other inconvenient moments. And, since I am an instructor, the cost for her to get her permit wasn't that bad; I gave her a break on her class fees :)
I hope you're aware you can't have a gun in a post office parking lot.
Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back