Why trust that gun?

Brine0

Bubba-0
I know people that have bought guns and carry them but have not shot more than a few rounds through them.
Why

It is not a matter of just shooting the firearm you plan on using for self defense, but when you practice one should shoot at least a box of 20 rounds that you plan on using for self defense. It would be one hell of a note if one did have to use that firearm and the JHP, whichever brand you prefer, just to find out that the firearm, semi auto jammed. Or, to find out the recoil was far more than you ever felt throwing your shots off it's target. What may be even worse if the person is shooting a revolver and has not shot it, revolvers are not exactly the easiest firearm to accomplish without practice.

My carry piece has had more that 100 round put through it by me*, and at least 40 of those rounds were the same as the SD rounds that I carry in it.

You have to make sure that the weapon is reliable with the ammo that you carry. If I am going to carry the thing I want it to work!

* When I first started carrying it, it has now have closer to 600 total rounds thru the barrel.

To date, my little .380 has had around 300 rounds put through it. My choice 9mm has had about 750-800 rounds through it...

Just waiting for the range to open to go out again :)

I wouldn't put too much trust in a gun I don't practice with often...

But hey, the gun will go off at least once right, that might be enough in that situation.

Agreed. I practice use of safeties, hammer cocking, decocking, racking, reracking, mag changes and clearing rounds from the chamber blindfolded (with "snap cap" dummies, of course) to be sure I have a "handle" on the use of the weapon in pitch darkness. (Little trick I learned in the military.)

To be really thorough, I suppose I should practice field stripping in the dark, but if that recourse is the only action I have left to me to "stay in the fight", I'm probably screwed anyway. It IS, however, what they make BUGs for! (Heh heh heeeeeeh!)

GG

My G19 has over 5000 rounds through it. From my work at a range/gun store to over 100 hours of private range training, I believe I am familiar with my carry piece.

The simple fact that this gun functions 110% of the time, coupled with my knowledge of the interworkings of this firearm...

How could I trust my live, my families live, to anything less!!!!!!

Does this answer the question.

Don

I've only put about 5 rounds through my M&P 45. Why? I bought it used, in "appears to be unfired" condition as per the gun shop. (I had just sold my reliable but "underpowered" Makarov 9x18mm that I had carried for years, to get something with a little more oomph to the cartridge.) I carried it for about 2 weeks before finally getting to the range. When I finally got there - NO BANG. After working with it a bit, racking the slide, etc - it would fire intermittently only. Thinking (insanely) that the trigger pull might just be WAY more than I'm used to, I had one of the guys at the range check it. He got the same results, so now the firearm is back with S&W getting an overhaul.

On the SAME DAY, I decided to put my "backup" through its paces - a Charter Arms .38 Special undercover model, manufactured circa 1969 from the serial number. I had bought this gun for my mother back in 1994, and inherited it from her upon her death last year. After about 15 rounds, the cylinder latch retaining screw fell out! Charter Arms was great about it - one phone call and the screw is on its way, free of charge.

But - ONE BAD DAY at the range was enough to leave me completely disarmed. I'm not a collector...so those were the only two pistols I owned.

Not anymore. While waiting on S&W to return the .45 and Charter to mail me the screw for the .38, I bought another old gun - a Ruger GP100 revolver in .357 Magnum with a 4 inch barrel. I took it to the range the NEXT DAY and put about 160 rounds through it - about fifty .357 FMJs, a hundred .38 Special FMJs, and some assorted leftover .38 and .357 rounds that I had lying around the gun safe. The gun fired 100% and is now my primary carry gun.

Once I get the .45 back - I'll be doing the same thing with it, only more like 200-300 rounds on the first day. Any failures, and it's either getting sold, or going to my local custom gunsmith to get the bugs worked out. It has to be flawless before I trust my life to it.

So - lessons learned:

1) S*** CAN AND DOES HAPPEN. Better that it happen on the range than in a self-defense situation.

2) Just because your firearm comes from a highly regarded local dealer with a sterling reputation doesn't mean it's in working condition. Obviously this shop had not checked out my M&P in any way before it went out the door. TAKE IT TO THE RANGE RIGHT AWAY.

3) Don't sell a firearm you KNOW is reliable. I'm still kicking myself for selling my little Makarov. I shot who-knows-how-much ammo through that thing with NEVER a failure to feed or fire. Should have kept THAT as a back up gun.

Know how you feel. I have (had forever) a "Hi Standard" .357 six shooter, Sentinel Mark III, with a 5 1/2 inch barrel and adjustable rear sight that I bought used from a friend in 1980. (Before the proliferation of "paper work" was required.) Deadly accurate, even at 60 yards. It sits in my safe now, loaded and ready for "work" and I still "fam fire" it every other month or so.

Now, this weapon is NOT my primary, either for carry or for home defence. I would sell it off..... EXCEPT, there is no "paper trail" anywhere showing that I own this particular gun.... Thus, I would still "own" it even if a complete ban and confiscation went into effect.

AND.... I am a strong proponent of the old theory "If it ain't broke, don't fix it or replace it."

(Probably why my most recent vehicle is nine years old and my "pick 'em up" truck is fourteen. They just WON'T "break"!) LOL!

GG

A lot of people do this because of the talisman-like belief in firearms propagated by TV and movies. Guns are typically shown as mystical, magical things that make bad guys fall very easily when it's pointed at them.

People think that when they need it, they'll suddenly know how to use it, that it will function well, and they'll do ok with it...and some do get by as there are plenty of instances where someone will struggle back to their room and manage to get their pistol out of their closet/lingerie drawer/mattress and manage to scare off, or occasionally actually hit a bad guy.

Personally, I'd rather be more confident in both myself and my firearm.

Practice, Practice, Practice, Shooting, Clearing, Tap, Rack, Bang, Clearing Stovepipe, Double Feed, Mag Changes until you can do it without thinking. My carry weapons have at least 500 rounds through them prior to carry, weapon on my hip has several thousand rounds down the pipe, and two barrel changes. Would not carry a weapon for personal defense with out extensive practice and rounds down the barrel.

You take care of your tools well GG...Our Ford is also about 14 or 15 years old. Everytime it breaks, hubby fixes it. He started learning to be a mechanic working in his father's farm. The military taught him properly. Nothing ever get broken in this house, even guns.

My latest addition Springfield XD bought a few weeks ago has already had close to 500 rounds of practice rounds and 20 SD Remington Golden Sabers.

Will one round do the trick? Hell no! What do you do if the person is wearing a vest, on drugs, etc., this is where more than a Hi-Cap mag may not be enough.

Why not?

An argument can be made that any new gun out of the box is probably a lot more reliable than any person with a gun whom are miles away.

A side issue is that I haven't decided if I want to keep a gun unless I've carried it around a while. One decided, it get's the crap shot out of it :cool:

I saw a guy take a brand new gun out at the range. He fired it exactly 5 times. It locked up tighter than anything I have ever seen. A piece in the slide area locked it up. I couldn't even help. Not that I am an expert. Initially, I thought the slide just locked back.

The one round they fired at the factory and 4 rounds he fired at the range would have left him one shot to get the job done on a gun he was completely unfamiliar with before it broke.

I will not trust my life to a tool I haven't used. My Walther has close to 2,000 rounds and my 1911 is climbing to the same range. I have learned the Walther hates Gold Dots. (Fails to feed every time.) Loves a smaller hollow point. The 1911 loves Gold Dots. Go figure. One runs wet, the other dry. Trigger system, mag releases, safety features are different. The biggest problem is remembering which gun I am carrying. This is a concern. The Walther is my 100% back up so there is less confusion. The rest of my pistols will most likely be 1911s. Simplicity is beauty.
Joe

Short answer: Better to have a gun that might malfunction than to have none at all...

I haven't made it to the range in nearly 6 months. Get up early, go to work (not allowed to carry), go work elsewhere (1 of the places I'm allowed to (but have to drive an extra 40 minutes out of my way in order to pick up the gun), the other places are CPZ), get home exhausted, collapse in bed, repeat... Weekends aren't much better, at least the full-time job doesn't apply. End result is that sometimes I don't even touch a gun for a couple weeks at a time. I carry mine when I can spare the extra time to pick it up when going from CPZ to somewhere I can carry (which isn't often). As far as having time to go out to the range, well, yeah, that's just a dream...

In answer to your question: Foolishness. Ignorance. Irresponsibility.

I took my EDC to the range monthly (approx. 200 rounds per visit) in the year before I decided to apply for my permit to carry. The ratio of practice ammo to SD ammo used during these visits was about 4-1. The round count & ratio for my Glock 17, which I have not carried, is much more prolific.

If I were to purchase another firearm for carry, I would have to make multiple runs to the range to put about 2,000 rounds through it before I'd carry it with confidence.

Those Glocks that work 110% of the time-so that's what you call those "accidental discharges".
Relative to the original post:Those are the folks who have NGs and have their weapon taken away and used on them because they couldn't get it to go bang that one time when they really needed it.
I consider myself a very knowledgeable shooter who can handle most any type of firearm. The pistol I carry comes in both a safety/decocker model and a decocker only. I only carry a decocker because very rarely, I fail to release the safety after decocking a safety model pistol. I've had it happen during practice and absolutely don't want that result in a defense situation.

Know how you feel. I have (had forever) a "Hi Standard" .357 six shooter, Sentinel Mark III, with a 5 1/2 inch barrel and adjustable rear sight that I bought used from a friend in 1980. (Before the proliferation of "paper work" was required.) Deadly accurate, even at 60 yards. It sits in my safe now, loaded and ready for "work" and I still "fam fire" it every other month or so.

Now, this weapon is NOT my primary, either for carry or for home defence. I would sell it off..... EXCEPT, there is no "paper trail" anywhere showing that I own this particular gun.... Thus, I would still "own" it even if a complete ban and confiscation went into effect.

AND.... I am a strong proponent of the old theory "If it ain't broke, don't fix it or replace it."

(Probably why my most recent vehicle is nine years old and my "pick 'em up" truck is fourteen. They just WON'T "break"!) LOL!

GG
GG: I am like you in that I have several handguns without a paper trail. I always keep my eye open for a good gun without that trail. The way things are going under the Pied Piper and AG Holder, it shouldn't be long before everything you have with a paper trail will be confiscated. I only have one left that can be traced to me and, when I find something else I like, I will trade it off. Also, my car is eight years old and my pickup is fifteen years old. By keeping them in good condition, I have more money to buy guns.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back