Why get a CCL?

alaskaone

I've browsed through 20 pages or so and not spotted anything related to this so... here we are.

In APSIN, a law enforcement database used in Alaska, people who have CCL's are identified with big, pink capital letters. That information, presumably, is given to LEO's when said LEO runs a suspect. In Alaska, anyone who comes in contact with law enforcement for the most trivial of reasons, is a suspect and gets run for warrants and there, in big pink capital letters, is CCP.

It's not that I'm prone to criminal behavior. I don't speed, I use my turn signals, I don't initiate violence and I never talk at the theater. I regard self defense as a human right regardless of the tool, if any, that you use. It's more than a human right, it's a right of all living creatures to defend themselves from harm to the best of their abilities.

It's also pretty self evident, given human history and current events, that national governments don't like people being armed. Not openly and certainly not concealed. Registration invariably leads to confiscation. We haven't got to confiscation in the US yet but the pressure to do so is there and unrelenting.

So. What is it about obtaining a CCL that outweighs getting put on a list somewhere in the bowels of Uncle Sam and, or, making an alarming number of LEO's extra nervous when they learn you have a CCL?

So. What is it about obtaining a CCL that outweighs getting put on a list somewhere in the bowels of Uncle Sam and, or, making an alarming number of LEO's extra nervous when they learn you have a CCL?

Absolutely nothing in jurisdictions where there's a legal way to carry without a permission slip, which I understand Alaska is one such jurisdiction. I'd surmise that people who do have Alaska-issued permits, probably obtained them for reciprocity purposes because they travel to the lower 48 regularly, but you'd know better than I whether or not that's true since you're there, and I'm probably close to 3/4 of the way as far from Alaska as one can get and still live in the US of A.

By the way, excellent first post you made here. I personally agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. Welcome, and get busy posting some more. It's getting petty and boring around here lately. Link Removed

Blues

Thank you, Blues.

There's no such thing as too much training or knowledge of legal issues pertaining to self-defense and, as near as I can tell without taking a CC class, that's what goes on. But.

It's a big, 'but'. Anyone who has encountered agents of the federal government, be they FEMA, social security, FAA, Customs, TSA... whatever... knows 'dem folks ain't right'. I'd just as soon not get on their radar in any way, shape or form and it appears, as near as I can tell, getting a permit does exactly that.

Yes, I know. I got on their radar when I bought a firearm. That can't really be helped these days. Still.

I've browsed through 20 pages or so and not spotted anything related to this so... here we are.

In APSIN, a law enforcement database used in Alaska, people who have CCL's are identified with big, pink capital letters. That information, presumably, is given to LEO's when said LEO runs a suspect. In Alaska, anyone who comes in contact with law enforcement for the most trivial of reasons, is a suspect and gets run for warrants and there, in big pink capital letters, is CCP.

It's not that I'm prone to criminal behavior. I don't speed, I use my turn signals, I don't initiate violence and I never talk at the theater. I regard self defense as a human right regardless of the tool, if any, that you use. It's more than a human right, it's a right of all living creatures to defend themselves from harm to the best of their abilities.

It's also pretty self evident, given human history and current events, that national governments don't like people being armed. Not openly and certainly not concealed. Registration invariably leads to confiscation. We haven't got to confiscation in the US yet but the pressure to do so is there and unrelenting.

I guess it all depends on where you are and the nature of the cop but in all my times of being pulled over sonce I’ve been carrying, they’ve never even batted an eye. Had one cop joke and said that as long as I don’t reach for mine, he won’t reach for his. Lol. But I’m a truck driver who gets pulled over a lot due to increased scrutiny and driver/vehicle inspections.

But I take that back, there was a time when a local LEO once was being a little female dog; he pulled me over because he claims I didn’t move over far enough on a narrow 2-lane highway when he had a car pulled over. Made a big deal over saying how he didn’t wanna get hit, yadda yadda, yadda and I guess he could tell I was a bit miffed at his accusation so when he asked for my license and all that, I handed him my permit and, when he asked me to step out to have a seat with him in his car, he asked me to remove my pistol out of my pocket and set it down by the seat. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice thing about a permit in Arizona is that you bypass the federal background check when buying from an FFL. It also allows you to legally carry in a bar or restaurant if you are not drinking and it's not posted. We are now a constitutional carry state, so no CCW is required, but it is still a good thing to have.

There are three reasons (apart from being a prohibited person) not to get a concealed carry credential (where it's required):
  1. You believe either that you're magically immune from violent attack, or you believe that the police have either the legal duty or physical ability to protect you as an individual.
  2. You have dedicated bodyguards.
  3. You don't believe in self-defense.
Anything other than 2 is at best delusional, at worst dumber than a bag of hammers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back