Why did no one fight back?

I can't add to this discussion, do have a question and comment.
I am wondering if anything similar to this happened before gun laws were restrictive and many people carried?
It is my opinion that we have been trained by current society and stigma of carrying a gun and facing severe penalty for being a good semaritan. I feel that if guns were more prominent in situations like this there would Be no free for all gunplay. Rather, when the gunman came close to me I'd be ready with my gun. I do think even a crazy shooter would think twice before attempting this massacre if this were the case. Are there any students of history that know of such a thing happening when people were armed?

Although I believe in carrying and have my piece on now, I feel as though if there were multiple CCW's in the theater, it could have been a worse tragedy than what it was and here's why:

Let's suppose you were actually able to decipher what was going on and able to draw your weapon quickly enough to respond to the situation......and so were 2 or 3 other people who were carrying. Now everybody shoots towards the BG..... BUT now you have milliseconds to figure out if it was a team effort/ambush or are they "with you".

In this particular instance and scenario.....I think the outcome could have been worse.

Granted, I am not saying I would not have pulled my weapon. I'd like to think I would be able to stop the attack with a single shot. But in hind-sight, if a couple others thought the same thing at the same time......I think the outcome could have been horrible and perhaps worse than it was.

Pretty simple. You learned the rule about "know your target and what is beyond it", right?
That means you keep your booger picker off the trigger for however long it takes to figure out who the bad guys are. That sounds blunt but I don't know how else to put it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

"Why did they not fight back"
Well from what I heard from my CCP instructor, that lives in Aurora CO, and happens to have been at that movie Theater. With his kids he stated that they have a "No gun sign up" no one told that to James Holmes, also they thought. It was part of the show. With the exception of one guy running out to tell Theater. Management. About James. Holmes, by then it was to late he had the movie goers, disorient with gas and shots fired. That's what I heard. And underdstood what happened. Sorry for the loss and missfortne of those Movie Goers and there families. John N, Littleton, C.O.

"Why did they not fight back!"

"Why did they not fight back"
Well from what I heard from my CCP instructor, that lives in Aurora CO, and happens to have been at that movie Theater. With his kids he stated that they have a "No gun sign up" no one told that to James Holmes, also they thought. It was part of the show. With the exception of one guy running out to tell Theater. Management. About James. Holmes, by then it was to late he had the movie goers, disorient with gas and shots fired. That's what I heard. And underdstood what happened. Sorry for the loss and missfortne of those Movie Goers and there families. John N, Littleton, C.O.

Every gun owner who chose to follow the "law" rather than exercise their God given and constitutionally guaranteed right to self protection made the active choice to be a victim in this case.

And every one of them should take that guilt to their grave. We ARE our bother"s keeper.

If 10% had ignored the "law" and each of them had an 8 round magazine that could have been potentially 56 rounds headed towards his face. If nothing else it would have shocked and distracted him enough to save lives.

The ones on here saying otherwise are either undercover libs or cops who secretly think no one needs guns but them

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I can't add to this discussion, do have a question and comment.
I am wondering if anything similar to this happened before gun laws were restrictive and many people carried?
It is my opinion that we have been trained by current society and stigma of carrying a gun and facing severe penalty for being a good semaritan. I feel that if guns were more prominent in situations like this there would Be no free for all gunplay. Rather, when the gunman came close to me I'd be ready with my gun. I do think even a crazy shooter would think twice before attempting this massacre if this were the case. Are there any students of history that know of such a thing happening when people were armed?

John Lott found that exact thing to be true statistically. The more people carrying the less likely that a mass shooting will take place. The key point in virtually all these multiple shootings is that they almost always take place in one of the liberals "gun free" areas.

Link Removed

open the link.

Average deaths in shooting rampage when stopped by police 14.3
Avergae deaths in shooting rampage when stopped by civilians 2.3

Link Removed

open the link.

Average deaths in shooting rampage when stopped by police 14.3
Avergae deaths in shooting rampage when stopped by civilians 2.3

The underlying data for the picture your link goes to can be found here. It's at a site called "The Daily Anarchist." Not sure the name of the site means anything really, but also not sure that the author's methodology for compiling his stats is reliable or not. It's obvious the author attempted to apply some valid scientific method of scrutiny, but someone better-educated than me at statistical sciences would have to evaluate whether or not s/he accomplished that goal.

Blues

Why did NO one fight back...
It happened so quick, folks were protecting their loved ones, No time to plan an assault against the assailant , Who TF is going to charge an individual firing a weapon, that's just stupid.Everyone was unarmed and the assailant knew it. GUN LAWS. Not even cops carried their firearms, The honest people CAN NOT protect themselves or others from these sort of crimes because of state and USA laws. The god damn criminal has more rights than us law abiding citizens.

Most people become paralyzed by fear. They are unable to respond.

Others willing and capable of responding may not have been in a position to do so. Or they might have been the 1st ones shot. Or the guy in front of them may have gotten in their way. Or.......

I've read that 1/3 of mass shooters are stopped by people who just happened to be there. 1/3 isn't good odds.

But this guy was prepared. It was dark. A movie that glorified senseless violence had people packed in like sardines and had just started as a distraction. It's a wonder things weren't worse.

Too many in our society have been taught to be "good victims" ..... and submit. Some people are not good in a crisis, they freeze up. Others, were smart in getting cover and out of the line of fire. There is the "run from the danger" mentality, and to not engage. And I imagine there are a host of reasons and that all of these were reasons.

The theatre was posted against conceal carry, so the shooter went where he knew no one could shoot back.... very typical in mass shootings. They don't go to unposted businesses or places.

I won't go to a "posted" theatre or public place. I go only to unposted places and businesses.

Simply, people where caught off guard. When some start to panic & run, it causes the majority to panic & run. Also throw in tear gas. Most have never been exposed to tear gas. Fight or flight response took over. Adrenaline dumps. Most had a flight reaction, & ran. It was chaotic in there.

I'm an Emt-I : Also what if some people in there had a medical condition: asthma, Emphysema, COPD, Bronchitis. As soon as they inhaled tear gas, those with medical conditions are in trouble. Immediate respiratory distress. It's dark in the theater. Vision is limited. Your reacting to the tear gas. Even people trained for these situations can be caught off guard, overwhelmed. May not have been in a good position to react. I've been an Emt-I for 18 years, & have gotten on bad calls & felt overwhelmed.

Sorry to say in todays world we are trained to run. Don't get hurt is our motto. Playgrounds every where have removed anything that a kid may get hurt on such as the merry go rounds where kids used to get thrown off of and swing sets on asphalt. We don't allow fights in school, nor do we allow them on the play grounds. The only place fighting is allowed is in marshal arts class and thats not often allowed to be real until your advanced..Or in the boxing arena once again its closely monitored. From our vedio games and movies we see that one hit with a bullet always causes death. The attacker in this case had the element of surprise. He was facing the croud looking in their eyes and they looking into his. They had a long way to ge to escape and he not them knew what he was doing at that time no one had a plan. The heros that were there were busy saving their loved ones by shielding them. (my hats off to them) I have been trained, I do look things over when I get into a crowd, I do sit with my back to the wall facing the entrence of a resturant ect ect and I have fought for my life. I doubt that anyone, me and you included, could have done any more in this situation than the heros that saved their loved ones. GOD Save those heros.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back