Why are some short barreled rifles legal and others not???

Kingfisher42223

Okay so its completely legal to have an AR-15 classified as a pistol, but as soon as you put a stock on it now its classified as a rifle, and must have at least a 16" barrel? You're still running the same .223 round, and i'm not an expert, but I'm sure the muzzle velocity is still incredibly high despite the 10" barrel. Still just as deadly, but set up one way can land you in prison for 5 years as a "destructive device"? The same applies for shotguns correct? I'm just wondering if these were silly laws created or if gun makers just found loopholes? I would like to see it become legal to have a stock put on your short barreled AK's, and AR's. Maybe in some states its okay but to my knowledge its still illegal in Minnesota.

Kind of goes along with a 10 round mag is ok but any more and you will be inclined to go out and shoot up the neighbor hood. If you have anything lighter than a 10 pound trigger you can't control you weapon and unintended discharges will happen more often. Anti gun crowd has to have some control to keep them happy

Okay so its completely legal to have an AR-15 classified as a pistol, but as soon as you put a stock on it now its classified as a rifle, and must have at least a 16" barrel? You're still running the same .223 round, and i'm not an expert, but I'm sure the muzzle velocity is still incredibly high despite the 10" barrel. Still just as deadly, but set up one way can land you in prison for 5 years as a "destructive device"? The same applies for shotguns correct? I'm just wondering if these were silly laws created or if gun makers just found loopholes? I would like to see it become legal to have a stock put on your short barreled AK's, and AR's. Maybe in some states its okay but to my knowledge its still illegal in Minnesota.

You have voiced a lucid and germane question about legitimate issues behind gun laws in the US. However I would recommend you cease looking for logic in legislation, down that road lies madness.

^ What he said. Plus, honestly, those type of modifications look scary to people. With no knowledge of firearms, an unmodified wood stock 10/22 appears tame next to a tricked-out black composite AR-15. The actual difference? Negligible.

It's ALL in the appearances! (LOL!) Logic has nothing to do with it. PARTICULARLY as it pertains to Legislation.

How does the old dodge go? A camel is a horse design passed through the legislative process.

GG

It is just like if you add a forward grip to a pistol, that alone makes it a Short Barreled Rifle in the eyes of the ATF and illegal.

Link Removed

Here is an article talking about forward grips on a pistol.

Link Removed

This all stems from the original GCA. They attempted to ban handguns( by FDR's AG), and anything of the like. The handgun ban went nowhere, but all the other parts got left in.

This attached a criminal stigma to legitimate weapons. The stigma will remain and frustrate attempts to rid ourselves of this statutory stupidity.

-Doc

Just buy one, put a stock on it and don't tell anybody. It'll be your SHTF gun... if that happens, gun laws won't matter.

Disclaimer: This is not the smartest thing to do. :biggrin:

law

As best as I remember...

A pistol is defined as a non-sholder-fired weapon having one vertical grip.
Attaching another vertical grip moves the weapon to AOW(Any Other Weapon). A $5.00 stamp if in a state that allows it

A rifle is defined as sholder-fired, rifiled, having a minimum barrell length of 16in.
Less than that and it is an SBR(Short Barralled Rifle). A $200 stamp where legal.

Don

As best as I remember...

A pistol is defined as a non-sholder-fired weapon having one vertical grip.
Attaching another vertical grip moves the weapon to AOW(Any Other Weapon). A $5.00 stamp if in a state that allows it

A rifle is defined as sholder-fired, rifiled, having a minimum barrell length of 16in.
Less than that and it is an SBR(Short Barralled Rifle). A $200 stamp where legal.

Don
And just to confuse things more, they made the shotgun 18" or over is ok, but under that for the barrel requires the extra money to the gov't. But both have to be 26" in total lenght or you still owe Uncle some money.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back