Who open carries a subcompact handgun?

DCkilla

Ok, if you OC that XD, Sig, LC9, or LCP etc. Let us know.

NOT I

Walther PPS, it doesn't feel like a sub-compact in hand. The 7rd mag allows a full grip, but still allows it to disappear easily if carrying IWB.

NOT I

Hmm...Springfield and Sig both make full size guns. As to your statement, "Not I", just curious as to why not? Is it because you do not own a compact gun? Or is it the old adage, "size matters"? I do find your question interesting, as I have wondered myself if when OC'ing, does size matter?

I have done both, but as I have said before seval times, I prefer CC but dont make a big deal about it, at present I carry a full size 1911, rt side in a owb, and a XD-9 on the left, also owb, covered by a T-shirt, thats about as concealed as I worry about

Danmc:298123 said:

NOT I

Hmm...Springfield and Sig both make full size guns. As to your statement, "Not I", just curious as to why not? Is it because you do not own a compact gun? Or is it the old adage, "size matters"? I do find your question interesting, as I have wondered myself if when OC'ing, does size matter?

Not as much as it does for concealed carrying. Though some people have no problems concealing a full size handgun, I see no point in compromising capacity, sight radius (accuracy), barrel length (power), and grip length (recoil reduction) when I have no need to tuck it under a garment. The situation where the individual can shoot a compact better than a full size would be the only time I would agree a compact is better for that person than a full sized handgun.

Not as much as it does for concealed carrying. Though some people have no problems concealing a full size handgun, I see no point in compromising capacity, sight radius (accuracy), barrel length (power), and grip length (recoil reduction) when I have no need to tuck it under a garment. The situation where the individual can shoot a compact better than a full size would be the only time I would agree a compact is better for that person than a full sized handgun.

Good points. Surely good info to consider. Now let me ask this, to clarify the size matters question: If I OC my little Ruger LCR .38 in my nice leather Desantis thumb-break holster, will I be taken as seriously as if I were OC'ing a larger gun like a full size 1911?(Or any other large framed whether semi or wheel gun).

Danmc:298238 said:

Good points. Surely good info to consider. Now let me ask this, to clarify the size matters question: If I OC my little Ruger LCR .38 in my nice leather Desantis thumb-break holster, will I be taken as seriously as if I were OC'ing a larger gun like a full size 1911?(Or any other large framed whether semi or wheel gun).

I believe so. Most people, and even gun owners, wouldn't be able to tell the caliber between different glocks/xd's/m&p's without closer inspection. With after market caliber exchanges, most of those firearms can be a completely different caliber then ordinary.

You can't tell if my Jericho is a 9, 40, 45 just by looking at it from a distance.

This is why I do not believe a desert eagle .50 will deter anyone more so than my .40.

Throw in a rifle or shotgun, that changes the game IMO.

Pro open carry arguments typically revolve around deterring criminals from attacking you at the sight of your gun. If your gun is small, there is a less chance they will notice it. I say if you want to open carry, you better open carry something large and noticeable. Keep the subcompact in your pocket as a backup.

I open carry. So, there is no need to be discrete. Size does matter in this case. Wasn't there a story out there about an off duty cop with a .38 revolver having a shoot out against a bad guy with a Glock 17?

@DC

I know they make a subcompact model. But you lumped the XD line from Springfield and the Sig Sauer company in with the LC9 and LCP which are specific models from Ruger...it was just an awkward way of presenting your OP, IMO. I have seen quite a few people openly carrying a full size XD...so when asked if anyone carries a subcompact? Then uses XD generally, I had a different image come into my thoughts.

I presently only have an LC9 as gifted my 1911 to my son. I carry the LC9 in a Desantis iwb holster with my shirt tucked behind exposing the grip and top of the slide fo open carry.

Will have another 1911 soon!

Considering Open Carry Subcompact in holster while on my bike due to size and weight until I get Concealed Carry. Could a gun be attached to frame of bicycle or to top of gas tank of motorcycle and be considered to be legal under open carry?

I probably would not want to attach the firearm to the bike frame. If for some reason you were forced off the bike, you may not have access to the firearm. I used a reflective PT belt I had and a holster.

XDm-45 Compact in a Blackhawk Serpa retention holster at the 3:30 position. But I use the 13-rnd mag with extension, so it looks like a bigger gun than it is.

If I need to carry it concealed, I'll keep the 9-rnd mag in it.

the XD(m)s aren't really considered SUBcompact, are they? Just Compact.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back