Which one for concealed carry?

crenz66

I am thinking about purchasing a concealable weapon. I want this to be my weapon in my car as well. I am thinking about either going with a smith and wesson m&p.45 or something like a glock 30s .45 that is subcompact. Don't think i can go wrong with either. Just wanted some opinions.

Last edited:
If you are planning on .45 for sure, I recommend you at least consider the Ruger SR1911. I have several Rugers in 9mm and .40 S&W and love how accurate they are, how they perform and how easy to field strip and clean. My EDC is a SR40C and is very dependable. I love my Rugers.
-----I had a S&W Sigma 9mm and it was OK but I have found my Rugers much easier to shoot. The 1911 might be better than the Sigma but I have not shot it.
-----Upon the recommendation of another Ruger owner on this forum, I tried the SR1911 at the range several weeks ago. It was a very sweet gun, fit my hand well, without much recoil and highly accurate. I had my son and a friend with me and they have other brands of 1911's and they were very impressed with the Ruger. I know this will be my next purchase. The person on the forum that recommended it said his wife loved it too, it was so easy to shoot. Don't mix this up with the Ruger SR45 as they are two separate guns. I would suggest you at least consider this gun. Price runs around $725-750 similar to the "new" Remington 1911. I hope this helps.

Have you considered the Glock 36? I bought one out of curiosity, and surprised myself. Now I carry it all the time, either as my primary or as a backup.

Sent from my phone (which explains the typos), using the USACARRY app.

If at all possible, actually shoot all that you are considering buying to find which one fits YOU the best... I do recommend that for an everyday carry firearm you would do better with a poly framed one just for durability/rust resistance (not sure if any other than the glock qualifies that you are considering) Otherwise, you need to keep a close watch on the finish.... Keep 'em oiled!

Get the one that fits you the best. Try to shoot before you buy. I'm a big fan of the XDS and especially of the Glock 36.

Really think about how you will conceal. IMHO, comfort is one of the biggest factors. If it is uncomfortable you may be tempted to go without. I agree with the posters that mentioned poly-frame and 9mm, for the reasons they listed and the fact that a poly frame will be lighter (more comfortable). One theory I have heard on the matter is to remember that you aren't looking for a range gun. It doesn't have to be "comfortable" to shoot, it has to be comfortable to carry and you need to be able to hit your target with reliability.
-
I carry a Ruger LC9 (IWB w/ Remora no-clip) and a LCP in the pocket as a BUG (DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster). Biggest reason for both is that they are light, I can shoot them well, and I can carry them regardless of what I am wearing.

I keep my G36 in a DeSantis SOB holster. Even with the +2 extension, it's easy to conceal and comfortable to carry.

Sent from my phone (which explains all the typos), using the USACARRY app.

What caused you to decide that a 45 was the best choice? Simple physics favor a 9MM over a 45. Shot placement trumps caliber so where the shots go is a criteria you should use to make your choice. Having cheaper ammo as well as more rounds with a given size gun can be important if you are facing multiple opponents. The best test to use for your selection is one handed shooting from either hand. Add dynamic movement and recoil control becomes even more important. Work with an instructor who has experience in these areas to help you make the best choice for your needs.

The .45 is the carry round, don't let the 9mm is a cheaper round, or shot placement types deter you. (Do I really want to base my life on the cost of a bullet? And obviously you have to hit the target to have any effect - Duh)
One thing: the .45 is a large cartridge and sometimes has trouble cycling in a short barrel of 3" or less. Even Kimber Ultras have had problems with failure to eject and jamming (I presume they have addressed this issue).
My choice is the G30sf, and a G36 is not shabby either.

I am thinking about purchasing a concealable weapon. I want this to be my weapon in my car as well. I am thinking about either going with a smith and wesson m&p.45 or something like a glock 30s .45 that is subcompact. Don't think i can go wrong with either. Just wanted some opinions.

.45 acp Glock ~versus~ 9 mm Glock dilemna eh?

Go with the .40 caliber Glock like I did....
Problem solved imvho.

Carry what you can carry comfortably and maintain proper shot placement. Caliber does not matter per se. If you want to say this caliber or that caliber has no stopping power want to stand in front of me and take a .22LR to the forehead? I thought not. Personally, I chose the Glock 19 (9mm) because it was comfortable to carry, easy to conceal, and was tame enough in the recoil department to allow quick, clean follow-up shots. Your mileage may vary. If you can do this with a .45 or .40...so be it. The bottom line is that we can all recommend something, but that does nothing for you other than maybe give you a starting point. Go to the range, rent a bunch of pistols, and try them out.

The .45 is the carry round, don't let the 9mm is a cheaper round, or shot placement types deter you. (Do I really want to base my life on the cost of a bullet? And obviously you have to hit the target to have any effect - Duh)
One thing: the .45 is a large cartridge and sometimes has trouble cycling in a short barrel of 3" or less. Even Kimber Ultras have had problems with failure to eject and jamming (I presume they have addressed this issue).
My choice is the G30sf, and a G36 is not shabby either.

I use Colt New Agent/ Defender's, Glock 36's, and SA XDs's for carry guns. I like them all, but the Glock 36's are my favorites. I use the Pearce PG-36 +1 magazine floor plates and the Glock fits my hands perfectly.:smile:

Which one do you handle and shoot better with?

My suggestion would be that if you have it available to you, join a gun range or club that has an assortment of weapons that you can rent (or try free with membership) and toss some ammo down range with different guns till you find the right fit.

Here is another consideration. (I am very familiar with Glocks, so I'll present this from the Glock family point of view, but it might apply to other manufacturers also.) If a person used a Glock 26 for concealed carry, but also had a Glock 19 or Glock 17, then the larger capacity magazines from the bigger guns could also be used in the Glock 26 since all three are chambered in 9mm. The other benefit for those who own multiple sizes of Glocks is the commonality of function. This means that a person doesn't have to worry about different steps to take depending on which gun they use. All Glocks function the same in regards to magazine loading and unloading, chambering, and safties. Even the take down procedure for cleaning is the same. And if one stays with all 9mm, then buying and storing ammunition and loading magazines is simplified. The risk of taking multiple guns to the range and loading the wrong ammunition into a gun is eliminated if all guns require the same cartridge.

Something else to factor in also. Will you be the only person expected to use the gun? If you have a spouse or family member who will also be expected to be able to perform competently with the gun, then caliber size as it relates to recoil is a consideration.

Springfield Armory XD-S .45acp.

Score a big bore.

If you are an NRA member, it was awarded their handgun of the year in American Rifleman. YMMV

For concealed carry, I'm partial to the 3" Colt New Agent which is available in .45 or 9mm. I prefer the 9mm for concealed carry as the 9mm mag carries 8 rounds, versus the .45 with 7 rounds. Forget whatever you may have heard about 3" 1011s being unreliable. My New Agent has been completely reliable from the get-go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back