Where I can't carry

blacksharkL82

too old to run.
I had to be in a hospital. I always carry.
My gun and extra ammo, were in a back pack, hand carried and placed in my room's locker, not locked.
Post operation, I rerturned to my room. I looked for my pack. No where to be found. I called for the floor nurse and asked where my belongs were.
She called security.
They came and explained that it IS against the law, to have a gun, in a hospital. HUH?
Upon discharge, I retrived my gun, from thier office and went home.
No, not with out a discussion with the head of security.

After, reading ALL the FL gun laws, I can not find any law/rule, disallowing hospital carry.
Next, my laywer, informed them about the suite.
A few weeks of back and forth and they wanted to settle. A very nice chunk of change.
Can anyuone, in FL., tell me where I can find out where they got thier info from or was it in thier dreams?
BTW. The head of secutiry, was dismissed.

In their dreams, I believe.

Most hospitals post a "no weapons" sign. If they don't, they are under the same rules as the rest of the public places, unless it is a military or government-run facility. They can ask you to leave the premises, but cannot confiscate your firearms.

If you were legal before you set foot in the hospital, you were legal while you were in it.

I'm no lawyer, but this is my understanding of carry laws.

Television. The anti gun liberal writers do everything they can to convince people that it's illegal to own or carry a pistol. People believe what they see and hear. It's in your living room. It seems so real.

I was told it was illegal to have a gun in a hospital in the state of Florida if that hospital has a Psychiatric Ward which most hospitals do when I first received my permit. However, looking in " Florida Firearms Laws, Use & Ownership" 6th edition I do not see anything listed on hospitals.

Also just saw in the back of the above book is an address to send questions to:
office@FloridaFirearms Law.com

I am happy that this worked out for you. Generally when someone is given authority beyond the limits of their character, they start to think they make the rules. He probably felt justified saying that guns aren't allowed in hospitals because guns are taboo in general.

I had to be in a hospital. I always carry.
My gun and extra ammo, were in a back pack, hand carried and placed in my room's locker, not locked.
Post operation, I rerturned to my room. I looked for my pack. No where to be found. I called for the floor nurse and asked where my belongs were.
She called security.
They came and explained that it IS against the law, to have a gun, in a hospital. HUH?
Upon discharge, I retrived my gun, from thier office and went home.
No, not with out a discussion with the head of security.

After, reading ALL the FL gun laws, I can not find any law/rule, disallowing hospital carry.
Next, my laywer, informed them about the suite.
A few weeks of back and forth and they wanted to settle. A very nice chunk of change.
Can anyuone, in FL., tell me where I can find out where they got thier info from or was it in thier dreams?
BTW. The head of secutiry, was dismissed.
You don't see a problem with your actions? You left a gun and ammo unlocked in a hospital room while you were under anesthesia and knocked out? Are you kidding me? You violated the very basic NRA rules. This is a classic example of how the anti's gain an advantage. What if that gun had been stolen and used in a crime in that hospital? Should you be responsible? Why not just check-in the gun with security upon admission?

From the NRA Website - NRA RULE: Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules.

An when you returned from surgery, under the influence of anesthesia or possibly narcotic substances you violated another safety rule.

From the NRA Website - Never use alcohol or over-the-counter, prescription or other drugs before or while handling guns.

Alcohol, as well as any other substance likely to impair normal mental or physical bodily functions, must not be used before or while handling or shooting guns.

Please don't feed the Brady's. You're killing the rest of us.

You don't see a problem with your actions? You left a gun and ammo unlocked in a hospital room while you were under anesthesia and knocked out? Are you kidding me? You violated the very basic NRA rules. This is a classic example of how the anti's gain an advantage. What if that gun had been stolen and used in a crime in that hospital? Should you be responsible? Why not just check-in the gun with security upon admission?

From the NRA Website - NRA RULE: Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules.

An when you returned from surgery, under the influence of anesthesia or possibly narcotic substances you violated another safety rule.

From the NRA Website - Never use alcohol or over-the-counter, prescription or other drugs before or while handling guns.

Alcohol, as well as any other substance likely to impair normal mental or physical bodily functions, must not be used before or while handling or shooting guns.

Please don't feed the Brady's. You're killing the rest of us.

What are the chances of a bad guy going into his room, which is probably 1 out of 100's, then go find his stuff and get his gun and commit a crime with it? I can't go into a hospital in my town with out being asked where Im going and what patient am I seeing. I do agree that his bag should have been locked up since the nurses seem to have sticky fingers at this hospital.

What were they doing going thru your stuff in the first place?

Was it by chance a teaching hospital ? As an extension of a school it might be a problem - though in all honesty I
don't know Florida's law well enough to make a definitive statement....

ok so according to the Florida Department of Argiculture (link to the info Possession Restrictions - Weapons - Division of Licensing, FDACS )
there is no indication that you can not carry legally inside a hospital.

I do not see any fereral law prohibiting the lawful carry inside a hospital.
but if it was a teaching hospital it is not indicated in the law in that clear stated way so that whould need to go up to a court of law for decision.

What are the chances of a bad guy going into his room, which is probably 1 out of 100's, then go find his stuff and get his gun and commit a crime with it? I can't go into a hospital in my town with out being asked where Im going and what patient am I seeing. I do agree that his bag should have been locked up since the nurses seem to have sticky fingers at this hospital.

There is the slight possibility of being able to "fly under the radar," but I think you would be surprised of what hospitals check. If there are psychiatric or drug & alcohol issues suspected, a search is practically guaranteed. If one is pleasant and quiet, maybe things will go OK. If one asks too many questions, or may have a louder demeanor than usual, red flags go up, and the "difficult patient" label is put into use. With the general fear of firearms tht the publc has, it is too easy to be taken out of context and labeled "homicidal." I know this sound absurd, but if the 1 person out of 100 has a fear of firearms, the problem is going to get real big.

Hospitals tend to have "No weapons" policies, which tend to only result in a tresspass charge at worst, unless, one is an employee, then, they can terminate that employee. Some hospitals will go as far as to write their policy over the scope of the property, not just the building. Does this hold up in court? Hospitals I have dealt with tend to settle out of court, but not everyone has a Lawyer fund handy, and the hospital knows that!

It violates the safety rules we teach in every handgun class. Period. No exceptions to these safety rules. EVER!

What are the chances? Well, people steal guns and commit crimes every day. What are the chances you would have died today? The mathematical probability is in the millions to one. But you have life insurnace don't you? The reasoning behind my statement is because we can't control our world. Anyone who thinks we can is wrong. My statement is for the reasons I can't think of, not the arrogance to think I have it all covered. People will steal anything. My friend's elderly father had his gold dentures stolen from the hospital room locker. Besides, I don't want a patient partially under the influence of any post operative drug handling a gun in any public area. It's just not safe, thus the rule should be obeyed.

ok so according to the Florida Department of Argiculture (link to the info Possession Restrictions - Weapons - Division of Licensing, FDACS )
there is no indication that you can not carry legally inside a hospital.

I do not see any fereral law prohibiting the lawful carry inside a hospital.
but if it was a teaching hospital it is not indicated in the law in that clear stated way so that whould need to go up to a court of law for decision.
I'm curious... as an instructor do you teach students to keep guns away from unauthorized persons and to never handle a gun while under the influence of drugs or alcohol?

I teach my students to keep a watchful eye on there firearms and to keep them away from unauthorized people (family or regular people around the firearm).

I agree that is it odd that the people at the hospital touched your bag without prior authorization from you, but if you where going in for a procedure. You should of taken a portable lockbox, a small gunsafe and tie it to your locker to make sure it was secure while you where having your procedure. So in that instance you got lucky that someone did not take you gun and sold it at an FFL, pawn shop or something worst. But anyway you live you learn and hope never to do the same mistake more than twice.

F.S. 394.458 "...except as authorized by law it is a third degree felony for any person to bring, carry, possess, or transport a firearm or other dangerous weapon (or alcoholic beverage) upon the grounds of any hospital (or mental health facility) providing mental health services...." On the plus side F.S. 790.06(12) does not list "hospitals or mental health facilities". You could consider yourself lucky that you are not a "Test Case". I am surprised your lawyer couldn't tell you that.

Perhaps you should purchase a copy of Florida Firearms Law, Use & Ownership - Seventh Edition by Jon H. Gutmacher, Esq. Your LGD should have a copy.

Have a nice day,
GH

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back