Where Do You Carry Your CCL(s)?

astevens1956

For some time now, I've been carrying my CCL in the same wallet as my Driver's License, Credit Cards, etc....I've begun to doubt the wisdom of doing so. Primarily because I find myself thinking that offering my wallet (sans CCL) might provide the diversion necessary to successfully draw my weapon while the BG is preoccupied with it....however, if the first thing the perp saw was my CCL then he knows I'm armed!

What are your thoughts...where do you carry yours?

PS: I understand this may require additional efforts when presenting to an LEO....he/she may not take kindly to reaching for a second identification without proper notification.

where do you carry your permit?

I carry my permit on my pants in a Timbuk2 ID Money clip.Link RemovedLink Removed
I have it clipped on inside the waistband and under the belt. It is not noticeable and very comfortable (although I must admit that I haven't tried it in the summer yet).

Note: the shape and tensile strength of the clip grasp the seam of the waistline of your pants to prevent it from coming off on its own, but it is easy enough to grasp the top (about a half inch of nylon sits above the pants fabric) and lift it out when you need to present it.

It is clipped to my pants on the weak side at about the 9-10 o'clock position, and while I know some people say having it on your belt may may LEO's nervous, I figure the following:
1) for a traffic stop, it is quick to retrieve and produce for the LEO if I am readying my ID and permit before they get to my car
2) for an in person request for ID, I plan to tell them where it is and ask if I can retrieve it myself OR if they do not want me reaching for my beltline I have no problem with raising my arms and having them lift it out.

I don't always carry my bag/backpack (I hate purses, so usually have a messenger bag or backpack with me), and I almost forgot to grab my ID's a couple of times so this is a sure-fire way to always have the permit ON ME.

I say throw your wallet up in the air at the perp, while hes scrambling to keep his eyes on the wallet/catch your wallet you will already have 3 bullets in his chest, that is if your life is in immediate danger. After that pick your wallet up and you have your permit back.

I have an extra copy of my CCW which I keep over the sun visor of my truck that I can give it to the officer first then ask him how he wants to proceed.:biggrin:

If you realy insist you can get one of those neck loop badge holders for your CCW Badge. :hang3:

His original post does not have the word "Badge" in it. Why does it have it in the quote on your remark? Your subject states not another CCW Badge post. Did I miss something?

What your saying does make sense, I thought about something similar a few weeks ago, while at a gas station if someone asks for your wallet you'll be giving them all your money, Bank Cards, Drivers license, CWP's etc so I went to Walmart and bought a leather thing to put my Drivers License, Bank Card, CWP's in and keep it in my right front pocket, my wallet is in my left front pocket with very little cash.

I carry mine just like you do, wallet, behind my Drivers license. I wouldnt hand over the whole wallet, I would only hand over what ever cash I have, toss the wallet on the ground and draw my weapon, if you have to use your weapon, your money is on the ground, wallet as well, and possibly a dead/injured BG.

Indiana's License to Carry is simply printed on flimsy paper. Most folks around the state, including me, just copy their license, and stash copies where they feel appropriate. The state doesn't have a problem with it. There are no watermarks, or other means of identifying the original.

As others have said...right behind drivers license facing opposite direction. LEO's are the only ones that will ever see it. A bg is going to see the cash and credit cards and I highly doubt he's immediately going pull out the drivers license before the going for cash or cards. But I am thinking of getting one of those flip wallets with a ccw badge...:sarcastic:

Mine is in a separate business card case along with my license kept in the bill section of my wallet, since my bills are in a clip in my pocket. That way, the license and permits are always together, but can be easily separated from the wallet.

Your "memory train" had better be in gear. If you start to change where you keep the license and you are so used to carrying it in your wallet, you may find that you can easily forget it when you rush out of house. I will go out of my house for a walk and not take my wallet and then realize I have my CCW and no ID--very easy to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back