Where are people keeping large gun safes

Go for Barska biometric safes, if your requirement is for guns and not rifles, barska has all the standard features in affordable price, i highly recommend barska safe, if you want to go for something else you can study best gun safe reviews here.

I keep mine inside the basement within air that is mostly temp/humidity controlled. I also keep a heating rod and large desiccant pack in the safe for moisture control and I monitor my safe with a "MyTag" (Google it) - a $30.00 tag (requires a wireless hub device however) that provides real-time readings of both temperature and humidity of the safe's interior. I was surprised that it worked inside a steel box but so far its been working great. Some of those tags can also detect motion, so you could also track when the safe door opens rather easily. Tied that into some of my other automation stuff and I have it periodically reporting the readings to my phone so I always have updates on the safe and other indoor and outdoor points that I measure.

Mine is not currently bolted down - I thought about it but I also understand that determined people can still get into the majority of these "Residential Security Containers" (RSC's). While I would certainly not like to lose any of my guns, they are not so rare as to be irreplaceable. I got the safe primarily to stop curious children/teens we have in the house and casual thieves, and to hopefully protect from a fire (at least for a brief while). The safe is out of sight from outside observers, and there is lots of perimeter lighting and various other security measures that would have to be overcome before even gaining access to the safe.

If you are new to moving these things - have it delivered. If you insist on trying it yourself, know that many doors can be lifted off their hinges (removing a couple hundred pounds), and if its not an overly huge safe, sometimes the heavy-duty refrigerator dollies can be used. Also - go to your local Lowes/HD and get some thick-wall PVC pipe (smaller diameter) cut to a suitable length and just use that to roll the safe into the house. Most importantly, have a plan on how you will unload and (safely) move the safe.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back