When it's not on your hip, where is it? (storage question)

My carry weapon (Ruger SR9) is only on my person when I am out of the house. When I am in the house it is hung on a hook on the back of my door. I am always within 10 feet or so of a firearm of some sort when I walk through my house. It is only myself, my wife and our youngest son, who recently returned from Iraq. When the grand kids visit, most all guns will be locked up. My carry weapon will be unloaded and rehung and I will carry the magazine in my pocket.

You have a tough issue there.
The safest place it could be is on your person but I know at night in your PJs watching tv it's rough. In all honesty if she's that afraid I would get a few safes to put in key places. (if you have more than 1 gun even better). Night stand, living room end table, kitchen etc
image_2696.jpg

You can get these from Harbor freight tools for $109.
Kids will either be curious or not. I was lucky, I showed my 3 year old my revolver, I let him hold it (unloaded) so he could feel the weight & I told him "this is not a toy, see how heavy it is? Don't ever touch it. His curiosity was settled & he never looked at it again. Until now at 16 he goes to the range with me. I doubt your wife would let that pass as an ideal solution for you so I think for the money, the above will be your best bet.
Remember "Happy wife...Happy life!"

My 9 MM is on the bedside stand, right next to the Double Barrel with 00 Buck.

On the wife's side is her .357.

(No kids to worry about.) (If the grandkids here, they're unaccessable.)

On my night stand is a Kimber Eclipse 45acp plus a tactical flashlight,My wifes S&W 638 is on her night stand plus a light,

Mostly on my hip. At work I am not allowed to have it in the office so it is locked in my Nano safe that is bolted in my Jeep. As for home when in bed, I have a concealed P90 under my night stand.

Hollow out a big book and keep a second gun and a small flashlight in it. Keep it within reach of your bed. Problem solved...

Are you suggesting that he decieve his wife? Not agood plan ever IMO

I DO NOT APPROVE OF OR ENDORSE AND OF THE PRODUCTS ADVERTIZED IN THIS POST

I store all my guns in the safe except for the one that I carry. It always lays on the nightstand on my side of the bed.

1.- I would not try to hide the fact from the family members that you have a gun in the house. That will eliminate suprises.
2.- I would try to start educating the family members in gun safety. take them to the range and let them feel the range, smell it, touch it, make it fun and they will start to like it. fight the fears that they have, but do not puch them.
3.- When you have that acomplished then you can start bringing the gun stuff to the house, because everyone is confident that they can handle them.

The problem at your house is your family members lack of confidence with firearms.
hollow books and hiden lock boxes are cool, but the ultimate solution is confidence to win your family members.

hope it helps
Merry Christmas to everyone...!

Hollow out a big book and keep a second gun and a small flashlight in it. Keep it within reach of your bed. Problem solved...

With all due respect, I have WAY too much respect for my wife to lie to her or hide things (especially my handgun) from her. If you want to hid a gun from your wife, go for it, I would rather be honest with mine.

With all due respect, I have WAY too much respect for my wife to lie to her or hide things (especially my handgun) from her. If you want to hid a gun from your wife, go for it, I would rather be honest with mine.

I agree with Daven...except with me it's FEAR!
Fear of the never ending, relentless, non stop... "discussion"!

Link Removed

Geez, I hide guns from my wife all the time. Have to. If I don't and she spots one, and she likes it, suddenly it's not my gun anymore.

The most recent casualty of "spousal ownership transfer" was an S&W 64-3. I liked that gun for the whole few hours I owned it. :fie:

I guess the upside is I still get to clean and maintain them.

Respect

In regards to the latest reply here by Hp....

I respect your decision, and all the other choices of placement of their weapon while at home.

My situation, like each of yours, is personal. I do my best to protect my home, by having motion lights surrounding the exterior, as well as camera's and a system, and steel security doors, I feel safe at home.

The two most important aspects of my life are God and Family. I MUST respect both.

As I am sure you each respect yours, my wife had a gun in her face by an ex-boyfriend and that scared her for all these years of guns. I have come a long way from the day's of keeping it in a safe, and I am ok keeping in in the closet, It's more important to me to show respect for my love, my wife, than anything else. I live my life as close to the Bible as I can, and respecting her fears and wishes is important to me. If my dog barks (which he does if anyone comes NEAR our home, I get the gun, if my security lights go off, I get my gun and check the camera's.

And don't even say she doesn't respect me for asking me to keep it in the closet, if you have a wife who had a gun shoved in her face (point blank against the forehead) then you can say something, but even then, don't judge her feelings/fears. She did agree to go to the range with me by spring so I say- baby steps, baby steps.

:)

Gimpy

My live in girlfriend (I hope that doesn't offend) is a nurse who treats spinal cord and severe brain injury patients. Over the years she has had many "accidental" gunshot injuries so is understandably anti gun. She does respect my wishes and doesn't even say anything anymore when I "strap up" to take the dog for a walk. We live in a rural area known for wolves and mountain lions so it makes sense to be prepared.
My CC goes in the nightstand or my briefcase when it's not on my hip and sometimes on top of the dresser. We do not have ANY kids around so that isn't a concern but I am EXTRA carefull when there will be anyone else in the house. Too many people are killed or wounded by the uneducated handling guns.
Your choice has to be based on your personal beliefs and living situation.

Guns In The House

There are no easy answers, but maybe what worked for me will work for you. My wife didn't really want guns around the house. Where she grew up, nobody did guns, at least among her neighbors/friends/family.

Well I have a very good friend who has hundreds of guns (literally) and also is occasionally called as an expert witness on gun control matters in his state. He and his wife both carry. Anyway one time when we were visiting he suggested we all go shoot a few rounds. It is easy at their place as they have their own range right near their house. Since three of us were obviously all for it, and my wife is a good sport, all four of us went. We had a great time. We started with 22's, killing lots of boxes and targets, and very slowly progressed to larger calibers. My wife said the .357 was a bit much, but the 38's were ok. It was a great day, and both of us learned a lot about handling handguns. Our friends were VERY picky about safety, and real good at explaining, not a bad thing.

We live very rural, which can sometimes raise worries,. That Christmas my wife surprised me. She asked for a 20 gauge shotgun, and a 38 revolver, for Christmas! Wow. Both just to have around the house "in case". Ok, two guns coming up.

I put a range on our property so we could both practice. We have fun at it.

Then when OBUMA took over, things were even more worrying. So we both took an all day class with range training, got our CCW permits, and went to a store that rented guns and had an indoor range. I knew what I wanted, a Ruger LCR. Wife tried several guns, trying to see if she liked pistols. The little Glock she found was a honey, but then she tried the LCR. Story over, two LCR's for us.

We now both carry when we go to town.

So maybe you could try above?

As to where we keep guns? Anywhere and everywhere, EXCEPT when little kids come visit, then they all get locked in my room.

Have fun out there, and stay safe.

Geez, I hide guns from my wife all the time. Have to. If I don't and she spots one, and she likes it, suddenly it's not my gun anymore.

The most recent casualty of "spousal ownership transfer" was an S&W 64-3. I liked that gun for the whole few hours I owned it. :fie:

I guess the upside is I still get to clean and maintain them.

Yes I also have this problem have not shot my AR in months, :cray: and my day to day carry (G-27) is NEVER more than a arms reach away, and the 12 gauge is behind the bedroom door, and if I was able to get to the basement the BG had better have brought the whole hood with him

On the nightstand. All the time. Also keep one within arms reach while in the house, on me when I go out.:pleasantry:

Xd man

I keep my colt 45 acp 1911 by my side in the living room and my springfield 9 mm by my bed --both out of the holster-- no kids no worry. When i leave home i hide the 45 and carry the subcompact.

One is next to the couch, One in the kitchen, the wifes is next to the bed. All are out of sight but in arms reach.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back