when asked why?

Cotillion

It seems like the majority of people who don't carry guns don't see the reason behind carrying a gun and I'm starting to feel like a broken record trying to explain! I'm curious as to what other peoples reasons are. I for one may be borderline crazy but I don't trust a stranger as far as I can throw them and frankly I feel its better to expect the worst and be prepared then walk through life seeing rainbows and bunnies! Let's face it there are A LOT of sick people out there and after watching marathon after marathon of the first 48 I knew it was time to start packin :)

Another question is what if I end up getting arrested for using a pistol in a crime, which to me seems like a pretty stupid question. If I ever come into that unfortunate situation where I need to discharge my firearm then my life or that of my families was in danger and no amount of jail time would ever make me regret my decision

I carry for that exact reason. if me and my family ends up meeting of these sick folks and something were to happen to either of them I could hardly live with it. that would probably haunt me for the rest of my life. id much rather live with shooting scum than have someone die at that scums hands. I don't live in fear, I just live and prepare.

I feel the same way. A very long time ago I remember the memorizing the Boy Scout motto-"Always be prepared'. A doctor I know asked me recently why I carry. He told me that was the job of the police to protect me. I told him about one of the times I had to draw my gun to protect my family and that there was not a cop in sight. The doctor responded I should have been submissive, to which I responded that it was impossible in dealing with a doped up man threatening me with a tire iron. It seems to me that the MAINSTREAM MEDIA is largely to blame. Even the tone of some media personalities saying the word "GUN" is negative. Gun owners are portrayed negatively. The millions of times a gun owner has had to use a gun to defend his(her)family or self is almost completely ignored. Once in awhile you here good story about a gun, but not often. Far more oten we hear tragic stories about careless gun owners and kids, which of course is tragic AND PREVENTABLE, but the slanted reporting shows me the media is predominately anti-gun. It is a good thing that in 1776 the people took a stand and refused to be sheep. Im a patriotic American who preferes to "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" and cling to my God and guns.

Every time I get my NRA Magazine. (Life member). I take the "Armed Citizen" page and fold it and put it in my pocket. I always have 5 or 10 of these articles in my pocket.

When asked why: I tell them that's a stupid question and hand them 1 or 2 or 3 "Armed Citizen" articles.

If they want to discuss it further I say to them: How are you gonna feel if some thug beats the crap out of you and rapes or kills or injures your Child or Significant Other or Yourself while you're powerless to do anything?

Do you want to watch. Powerless to do anything. Or do you want to stay in the fight long enough to give them a chance to survive or get away?

I've made my decision.

If that doesn't convince them. Nothing will.

Every time I get my NRA Magazine. (Life member). I take the "Armed Citizen" page and fold it and put it in my pocket. I always have 5 or 10 of these articles in my pocket.

When asked why: I tell them that's a stupid question and hand them 1 or 2 or 3 "Armed Citizen" articles.

If they want to discuss it further I say to them: How are you gonna feel if some thug beats the crap out of you and rapes or kills or injures your Child or Significant Other or Yourself while you're powerless to do anything?

Do you want to watch. Powerless to do anything. Or do you want to stay in the fight long enough to give them a chance to survive or get away?

I've made my decision.

If that doesn't convince them. Nothing will.

Bob, carrying these articles or copies of these articles is a GREAT idea! You're right - if this doesn't sway them, nothing will.

. A doctor I know asked me recently why I carry. He told me that was the job of the police to protect me. I told him about one of the times I had to draw my gun to protect my family and that there was not a cop in sight. The doctor responded I should have been submissive, to which I responded that it was impossible in dealing with a doped up man threatening me with a tire iron. ....
Ask that doctor, and any doctor who says something like that, what qualifications and training he has had in personal protection in general, and in firearms in particular. Get him to show you his certifications.

Well, I hope that doctor knows more about medicine than he does about law.

You have "no legal right" to police protection. And if his kind had their way, you would have no right to protect yourself either.

Link Removed

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

Sigmund Freud in "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis" via John Pate

Your right this question has been brought up quite a bit, then again every question on every forum has! Different people talk on different threads typically pertaining to the same things that the forum type is about and you can choose to add your 2 cents or not. Either way you're obviously just looking to troll so I don't understand why you care what the topics about anyway :/

Back on topic I liked the responses, considering I've only known 1 person in my life to cc sometimes I feel kinda nutty like I'm the oddball for being prepared ha! It's good to know there are others out there!

I cc. I do not feel obliged to explain to anyone why I have a gun, maybe perhaps if I get stopped by a LEO, if required I will and can show my permit. Now if I feel being threatened by what others say around me, I won't be able to live a full happy life I had intended long ago to have. In short, I do not care what others say...I do not show, they do not know...

I feel the same way. A very long time ago I remember the memorizing the Boy Scout motto-"Always be prepared'. A doctor I know asked me recently why I carry. He told me that was the job of the police to protect me. I told him about one of the times I had to draw my gun to protect my family and that there was not a cop in sight. The doctor responded I should have been submissive, to which I responded that it was impossible in dealing with a doped up man threatening me with a tire iron. It seems to me that the MAINSTREAM MEDIA is largely to blame. Even the tone of some media personalities saying the word "GUN" is negative. Gun owners are portrayed negatively. The millions of times a gun owner has had to use a gun to defend his(her)family or self is almost completely ignored. Once in awhile you here good story about a gun, but not often. Far more oten we hear tragic stories about careless gun owners and kids, which of course is tragic AND PREVENTABLE, but the slanted reporting shows me the media is predominately anti-gun. It is a good thing that in 1776 the people took a stand and refused to be sheep. Im a patriotic American who preferes to "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" and cling to my God and guns.

Well said Santa!

May I say that for Christmas I'd like another XDM40, 8 lbs of Power Pistol powder, 1000 new .40 brass and 1000 155gr .40 HP bullets.

I cc. I do not feel obliged to explain to anyone why I have a gun, maybe perhaps if I get stopped by a LEO, if required I will and can show my permit. Now if I feel being threatened by what others say around me, I won't be able to live a full happy life I had intended long ago to have. In short, I do not care what others say...I do not show, they do not know...

I fully agree. I just responded to a guy (I did not say "idiot") here on the forum that relayed a story about being at a friends property for a party with people there he didn't know during which time he took off his shirt and exposed his "CC" and was surprised by negative response. Yeah, really...

I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but why do you feel the need to tell anyone you carry in the first place? What they don't know won't hurt them. Concealed is concealed.

I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but why do you feel the need to tell anyone you carry in the first place? What they don't know won't hurt them. Concealed is concealed.

You raise a good point. Like with other issues, some people are more talkative than others. Some people may make assumptions based on the contant of one's conversation. I find that in many situations, if people truly want to know, they will ask me, which can also mean that if they don't want to know, they may ignore me!

Yes, the beauty of concealed carry is that basically no one needs to know.

Well said Santa!

May I say that for Christmas I'd like another XDM40, 8 lbs of Power Pistol powder, 1000 new .40 brass and 1000 155gr .40 HP bullets.
Im making a list and checking it twice. Have you been a good boy all year?

The original question was "Why?" Following is my answer.

The Freedom of the Second Amendment

The second amendment to the constitution was placed there by the founding fathers for good reason. They had just overthrown an unjust government and wanted to make sure that if the occasion ever arose again, the populace could, again, overthrow an oppressive government.

In this day and age it becomes increasingly unlikely that even a “well armed militia” could overthrow the HUGE government we now live under even if it did become oppressive. But that being the case, there is no reason to avoid the meaning of the second amendment. It was clearly not placed there to protect “sportsmen” or to protect the ability to hunt for food. No, it was meant to give citizens the ability to confront other citizens on an even footing. The weak could not be oppressed by a well armed minority, government, local police organization or vigilante group.

The movement, since the 70s toward concealed carry permitting and open carry permitting has been in the right direction. Some states are doing it as the Constitution meant it to be done. Vermont and Arizona are good examples. California was without permits until the Supreme Court told them they had to have a permitting process. They now do have a process, though it is actually a sham as only the well connected can get a permit in that state. The interesting thing is that, in California, open carry is permitted without any permit as long as the weapon is unloaded. But, you can carry the magazine in your pocket!!! Texas has “concealed carry” with a permit and they are working on “open carry” with a permit so they are moving in the right direction.

But why is it important…other than that the Constitution says we have that right?…. In every state that has enacted “concealed carry” permitting crime rates have gone down. They have gone down because the potential criminal is concerned that he might have resistance and not even know from which direction that resistance might come. Open carry has its problems. I am not sure I would want to be carrying in the open even if it was permitted. The first target of a criminal, on entry into an area, would be take out those with exposed weapons! I would prefer the criminal would not know I was behind him with a weapon.

Some states don’t allow carrying in hospitals, banks, government buildings, drinking establishments and churches. Some of this, such as drinking establishments makes a small amount of sense, but some states don’t restrict it except to say the person carrying should not be drinking which makes a LOT of sense. However, why would a permit carrier who had to go through an FBI background check to get the permit be restricted from carrying into a bank where he might be able to stop a hostage situation from developing. A restriction that the bank robber has no compunction in ignoring. The robber in this case knows that he will not meet any resistance as no one but him/her will have a weapon!! Why is there a restriction against carrying a gun into a church, where an Islamic extremist might launch an attack? The usual answer I get to that one is, “Why would you want a gun in church?” That is a very uninformed question and the answer is a simple, “Why not?”. It is our right to carry.

The permit method of allowing the carrying of weapons is not, in my opinion, constitutional, but does carry with it a full FBI background check which should quench some of the critics. However, what would you think if the government said you free speech was conditioned upon a permit obtained only after having taken a four year course in English and paying a $100 a year fee for the permit? Or your right to freedom of religion or from religion was predicated on your having obtained a permit that required a study course of all the worlds major religions and a “church tax” or $5 to be paid every time you entered a church, synagogue, or mosque. (For the non believers, the fee would be an equal distribution of a tax equal to all the church taxes received from the previous year, distributed to all the atheists. Even taxing, fair and balanced.) Freedom of association would then mean every person on Facebook would then have to pay $1 for every “friend” that they accumulated. So why is the second amendment different? Why is there a permit required to exercise that Constitutional right?

Actually, though the critics will say otherwise, carrying of weapons either open or concealed reduces violence. Back in the old west when two men, carrying openly on their hip, met on the side-walk, they tipped their hats to one another and were polite. To do otherwise might cause one or the other to draw and shoot. It was a gentler time!!! That of course is an exaggeration. But, when the law places a heavier burden on one who is carrying, that person is more aware of his responsibilities. If you are carrying and know that the law frowns on your exposure of your weapon, you tend to be very concious of that responsibility to keep it out of sight and your need to be really sure that it is justified before pulling it out. This causes you to quell your anger and think in a very controlled manner about what you may be thinking of doing. Most states make a big issue out of “brandishing” a weapon and assess large penalties on those that pull a weapon for the purpose of “scaring” someone. I know that if I have a weapon in my car, I am a much better driver and less aggressive. When I carry I feel secure and in feeling secure I feel less need to be aggressive. Aggressive behaviour, at least in males in most species, is intended to scare away a rival when a threat is perceived. When you are carrying you feel less threatened so there is less need to be aggressive.

I saw a statement recently that referred to the open carrying of weapons as a levelling of the playing field. The 90 pound grandmother is equal to the 230 pound “gorilla” in the dark alley. In that confrontation both are on level ground when it comes to force and any exchange must be negotiated and the more convincing argument is the winner because force is no longer a factor. Only reason can be used when force is neutralised. The upholding of second amendment rights will lead us toward a more reasoned society.

"You shall know the Truth and the Truth shall make you free."

Jim Isbell

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back