What's in your range bag

NewlyEnthused

OK, another newbie question.

I'm picturing a cool leather carry bag for the handgun in case (unloaded), ammo, eye and ear protection and notebook.

But I thought I read somewhere that you can not transport the gun and ammo together?

I saw in one range orientation video that a guy carried in his gun in a locked case, the ammo in a locked steel ammo safe, and his other gear all separate. Looked like overkill

Does anything have to be locked?

What else would be a good thing to have in the bag?

Right now all I have is a green nylon overnight bag to carry everything, so I am obviously planning ahead.

I'm picturing a cool leather carry bag for the handgun in case (unloaded), ammo, eye and ear protection and notebook.

why leather? most people use canvas or other synthetics. what a good bag has is a lot of pockets for rounds, tools, oils, mags, and the like
But I thought I read somewhere that you can not transport the gun and ammo together?
maybe that is the case in some states but I don't that that there are any laws like that in SC
I saw in one range orientation video that a guy carried in his gun in a locked case, the ammo in a locked steel ammo safe, and his other gear all separate. Looked like overkill

depending on what state he was in, for SC it is indeed overkill
Does anything have to be locked?
not in SC

What else would be a good thing to have in the bag?
I carry tools, pens, staples and stapler, gun oil, towels, hand wipes, extra ear protection. bug spray, range ID, mags, rounds and of course extra guns. others may have other good ideas of what to bring
Right now all I have is a green nylon overnight bag to carry everything, so I am obviously planning ahead.
obviously you realize that there are better options available

One cased da/sa pistol, 8-10 full 30rd AR mags, 10-12 full pistol mags, box of ear plugs, stapler, leatherman, 4-6 50rd boxes of pistol ammo, a cloth or two, this all depending on the day. Ear muffs stay in the vehicle, usually have 2 in case I have company and want to go shoot.
That's about it.

I generally carry preloaded mags in the range bag - along with hearing protection / cleaning supplies / etc.. I also have a separate ammo can/box for extra loose or boxed ammo.
Depends more on where I am going really - some ranges have rules that indicate you cant draw/shoot from concealment etc. soo I tend to abide the rules and only use cased guns. others are not that way.

I do not see any value in carrying empty mags to the range.. unless your in one of those states (or dont have a permit/etc/etc) range time can be expensive per hour (unless its free range! heh)

Before you worry about going to the range look up your state in the concealed carry information portion of this website and familiarize yourself with your state laws. Your buddy that told you whatever isn't going to go to jail when you get popped following his advice you are

I carry up to four pistols in cases with two sets of hearing protectors in a large leather camera case. the outside pockets carry all my ammo I need for the session, extra magazines, and speed loading devices. I have another bag for all my cleaning supplies when I return home.

Besides what everyone else mentioned, I also have athletic tape. I'll use it to tape my fingertips if they get sweaty, or if my hands are extra dry and the skin starts to tear.

Howdy,

What's in your range bag will depend on several things:

1.) What are you shooting. Revolver, semi-auto pistol, bolt-action sniper rifle, etc?

2.) What type of shooting are you going to do. Bull's Eye, IDPA style, long range precision, etc.

3.) What is available at your range/shootin' spot. Nothing or full blown National level IDPA course w/ an Olympic style skeet & trap range, etc.

So, what you have in your range bag depends on a lot of "stuff".

Paul

I guess I should have known. The range I go to has clips provided. I guess that is what is called being prepared. That's also why I am here.

Oh and FWIW I use a 10 year old Cabella’s gym bag. Most of my range time is at work so they provide eye and ear protection and ammunition and they have a medic on site.
If it’s just me I bring my own ammo, spare magazines, targets, a first aid kit, ear and eye protection and sun screen.

4 or more pairs of ear protection & a jar of foam ear plugs - I have kids and always try to have at least one extra pair than I think I will need
4 or more pairs of eye protection
extra mags
extra ammo
extra paper targets
screwdriver (flat / phillips combo)
some change - sometimes a coin is just the right tool
old standard issue Camillus US Army pocket knife - It was from my grandfather. The can opener and the awl on that pocket knife are great for unjamming a .22 or anything else

Sometimes I just carry the ammo, extra mags, ear plugs and glasses. Already have the guns on me. If I am head out into the woods I bring more stuff. I have a pen (if I want to score targets etc.) and I wrap masking tape around it to use for holding targets (less weight/space than a staple gun and staples, and it never jams)
-
Ruger sells a cool multi-tool that has screwdrivers, torx, awl etc. Ruger-Avid-Gun-Tool-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
-
I also have a "quick-clot" GSW application and a roll of that self stick bandage wrap.

He's stated that he's extremely new to shooting numerous times lighten up

No problem. Yes I am new, but I don't get to range as often as I would like. But, with my home life, I NEED to be prepared mentally to answer questions that will be appropriate to all mental development ages.
If I had the money and the time, I would be out shooting more than once a week.

But yes, the range has a overhead guide wire with a backboard to binder clip the target onto.

At this point, I am thankful for any response I get, because all is new. After I have shot a few million rounds I might get a little pickier, but thanks Eidolon, I do appreciate it.

But yes, the range has a overhead guide wire with a backboard to binder clip the target onto.

your only error is thinking that we all live in "your world". the reality is that we all don't shoot at tidy indoor ranges with electric cabled target retrieval. For example I use a home PVC target stand that I use fishing line a clips to hold cardboard backing that I staple my targets onto and I have to walk down range in order to change the paper

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back