What would you do?

Shad C. Rogers

My wife and I would like to get our ccw permits. A little background about me I am a former US Marine (12 years out) and I was a police officer for 6 years (5 years out). I don't believe any of my history allows me to get the permit without taking the ccw class. My wife and I are planning on moving to Florida in May/June.

My question: Should we get or permits in Ohio? (since they are good in Fl.) or wait and apply in Fl?

Thanks,
Shad

My wife and I would like to get our ccw permits. A little background about me I am a former US Marine (12 years out) and I was a police officer for 6 years (5 years out). I don't believe any of my history allows me to get the permit without taking the ccw class. My wife and I are planning on moving to Florida in May/June.

My question: Should we get or permits in Ohio? (since they are good in Fl.) or wait and apply in Fl?

Thanks,
Shad

To apply for your Florida CCW all you need is your DD214.

Check into a non-resident Florida and converting to resident when you move.

There is only one Florida CCW permit. If you are not a resident of Florida it is called non-resident. I would use my DD-214 and apply for the Florida permit, got mine in 46 days, applied 2/1/13. When you move to Florida you will provide the state with your new Florida address and your permit will then be a resident Florida CCW. No where on the Florida CCW permit does it state non-resident or resident.

Thanks,
Shad

Check out the map here on USA Carry.. There is just a few states that differ on the two permits. If you do much traveling would be nice to have both. If was you, I would get one in Ohio before you move, and get your Florida one after you become a resident... that will open up a few more states for you to carry in.

Check into a non-resident Florida and converting to resident when you move.

FWIW: there is no "conversion" FLA makes no distinction between a resident and non resident permits. all that would need to be done is submit a change of address with the DOACS

Wait until your move to save money. Or if you think it's imperative that immediate action is needed ask your local issuing authority if you can get a provisional CWP until your move. Fla will require a DD214 plus it'll help if firearms training is included in your write up. Mine did but I separated in 87.................way to long ago

Wait until your move to save money. Or if you think it's imperative that immediate action is needed ask your local issuing authority if you can get a provisional CWP until your move. Fla will require a DD214 plus it'll help if firearms training is included in your write up. Mine did but I separated in 87.................way to long ago

in fla when you show your dd214 you don't need to show any other training, it would just be redundant, you don't get any bonus points for showing additional training

What branch of the service does not have fire arms training?

I'm going to echo what some other have said, but for a different reason. Look on the USA Carry site and see what is necessary to get both. Then, make an informed decision as to what fits your purposes better. The other thing to be thinking of is if you are driving to FL. If you are, having a permit that is recognized in states you are driving through will be handy if you choose to carry during this move. So, check USA Carry's site to see what you need to do to get either or both. Then check the reciprocities of states you will be driving through. I'm sure, once you've done your research you will know which or both to get.

There is no time limit for the DD214, I just got mine from Florida and it took just over 60 days. Just sent my DD214, I seperated in 92. Took the class with the wife anyway. Moving to TN in less than a month and will be required to get theirs within 6 months of establishing residency. Florida is reciprocated in more states than Ohio's and is good for 7 years instead of 4 so the extra cost was worth it. If you get the Ohio permit when you drive south and you are carrying you will be illegal in Alabama and Georgia as they do not reciprocate Ohio's permit.

Get the Florida license. Some Ohio Sheriffs will actually revoke your license if they find out you have moved out of Ohio.

Once you establish a Fla. residence you Ohio CHL will be invalid as they don't issue out of state licenses.
Unless it is really important to have your licenses for the couple of months in Ohio, I would save the money for your move and new residence.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back