What would you do?

Aresye

Had some thoughts today about CCW protocol, and was kind of stumped as to how I would handle this situation, no matter how unlikely.

We all know that to carry properly, it needs to be deep concealment. That is a no-brainer. However, despite our best concealment efforts, we are still human, and sometimes things happen out of our control, no matter how careful we are. This brings me to my question to you all.

What would you do in a worst case scenario of somebody finding out you are carrying, and them inciting panic wherever you currently are? It could be at a restaurant, gas station, department store, etc. The reason behind you being compromised is not really a factor. As I said before, we are human, and some things are out of our control. You could have slipped on a wet floor, a strong wind could have lifted your shirt, or maybe somebody was trying to squeeze by you in a tight spot and accidentally bumped into it.

So regardless of how it happens, somebody notices you are carrying, freaks out, and starts a wave of panic where you are. What would you do now?

For me, my first action would be to attempt to deescalate the situation. I would stay where I am, keep my hands out to my sides, and generally present a non-threatening appearance. If I am near a wall or an isle in a store, I would keep myself in a place to prevent somebody from trying to be a hero, and jumping me. From there I will wait for the store security, or other competent authority to approach, and calmly explain to them that I am a licensed conceal carrier, and what they would like me to do. From there on I would cooperate until the police arrived, because they have likely been called, at which then I will choose to exercise my rights, and not answer any questions until I have consulted a lawyer.

It is a horrible situation that we take very careful measures to prevent, but it is still a possibility, even to the most careful CCW holders. With that said, what would you do in this scenario?

Laugh at them ...

Out Loud ...

Point at them and make fun of them!

Seriously. Open Carry is pretty normal in AZ and NV and having your CCW become visible is not a legal problem. I'm not particularly careful to 'deep conceal' because it's not terribly important here. I'm pretty sure I've been 'discovered' but nobody has made a big deal about it.

For instance, once, leaving a bar, my shirt tail got caught in a button in the upholstery and uncovered my pistol. I looked behind me to see if anybody noticed; the guy in the booth behind was talking on the phone. He looked at me, pointed and waved, and didn't even interrupt his call. But, this is the West -- open carry is still common here. It seems people in the East and South (and of course CA) worry about this most.

I have to agree with the two above post and disagree with the OP that the only "proper" way to carry is deep conceal. I rarely deep conceal and that is only if I am going to a "gray area" or an area considered a "gun free zone" for law abiding citizens even though it is legal for me to carry there I would rather not have the harrasment. other then that I sloppy conceal or OC pretty much everywhere. If and when I DCC then I just drop the gun in its holster (Kholster) and forget about it. As soon as my shirt is on the gun disappears.

WellI dont think I would laugh at them.But Prolly just say "I have a permit to carry it" and move on.No big deal. If they tried to make it a big deal I would just walk away from them and ignore them.BTW I dont "deep" conceal either. I use a owb under a shirt or jacket. :cool:

Aresey, I was wondering where you are from? I think you are worrying WAY too much. I certainly don't want to see a panic started, but as long as you are in a place where you are legal to carry, and you do have a permit, don't worry about it. Tell them you have a permit and move on. If they call security or the police, you can show your permit and go about your business. Enjoy your right to carry.

Well, I know for a fact that wouldn’t likely happen in my State of Arizona were practically every man, woman and child has a permit. Really, when a store clerk sees a customer with a gun on their hip or elsewhere, they simply ignore it unless it's pointed at them. Likewise, if anyone has watched the news in the past year or two, a lot of folks are aware that more citizens are legally carrying. Conversely, perception trumps facts every time, so if you happen to look like some bad-ass or dress like a gang member then yes, you may well be profiled right down to the ground. I suppose this is 'change we can believe in'...

My CCW class instructor used to live in Florida and shared a story that happened to him, at all places, a Bass Pro Shop. He had squatted down to look at something on a bottom shelf and his gun was revealed. A woman saw it, panicked, and called the cops on her cell phone. She also reported to store security who started moving in on him. He noticed the unusual activity and decided to head for the door where he was met by 6, yes, 6 deputies who made him and his wife lay on the ground while they searched them both. Once they found his permit then everything was ok. They didn't even give him a chance to offer an explanation before treating him like a criminal. It all turned out ok but he and his wife were a bit shaken. So, the scenario presented is a possibility. If security or LEO's get involved, obviously the correct thing to do would be to be respectful and cooperate until the situation is defused. The ignorance of others would most likely cause us more problems than anything.

Wow, that’s a pretty wild story and I can see how that could happen under some conditions. Frankly, it sounds like the ‘reporting person’ created the shark frenzy. If she was the least bit dramatic with the call then it does tend to ratchet things’ up. In turn, the dispatcher responds with; ‘man with a gun’ and before you know it, here comes the helicopter, drug sniffing dogs, and the fifth Chinese hoard.

I guess I just look more like some older harmless man than anything else. However, one day I was feeling and looking 'scruffy' (un-shaved) as I went shopping. Sure enough, I attracted some disapproving looks. Now if my gun had been exposed, it may well have lifted some eyebrows.
Regards,

to all,

fwiw, i'm really GLAD that i live in 2 places (about 6 months in each, each year), where NOBODY panics when they see a gun. - you MAY get "delayed" by long discussions with "strangers" about what you/they/everyone that they know carries!

yours, TN46

I was more directing this thread towards the people from states that do not offer open carry, such as Florida.

Also, if I recall, was not a man charged with brandishing recently because an LEO saw his gun under his jacket?

Mountaingoat, thanks for the story. Pretty much sounds like the exact scenario I was trying to describe.

Aresye,

as many people as CCW in FL, i have trouble believing that anyone FROM Florida would "panic" = must have been a "visiotor" from the "generally anti-2nd Amendment" northeast.
(fyi, our family has a condo in one of the "silk stocking areas" of Miami & a "camp", i.e., a traditional "Florida-style bungalow", in one of the "far off of the Interstate Corrider" of counties., - i cannot imagine "panic" in either place, at the sight of a holstered handgun!)

yours, TN46

badge.jpg

What would I do? Why I would display my CCW badge, and flex cuff the person protesting, then wait for law enforcement. (JK):yu:

Most adults are aware people carry guns, if they live in a shall issue state. Odds are nobody will even care.

Aresye,

as many people as CCW in FL, i have trouble believing that anyone FROM Florida would "panic" = must have been a "visiotor" from the "generally anti-2nd Amendment" northeast.
(fyi, our family has a condo in one of the "silk stocking areas" of Miami & a "camp", i.e., a traditional "Florida-style bungalow", in one of the "far off of the Interstate Corrider" of counties., - i cannot imagine "panic" in either place, at the sight of a holstered handgun!)

yours, TN46

I figured most likely a tourist. But in a sporting goods store no less?

As far as most people "knowing" that their state is a shall-issue, many wouldn't. I didn't know it was even legal to open carry, much less conceal in Idaho and I've lived here 10 years. So to assume everyone knows, well.... you know the saying. BUT in contrast, as I've gotten into guns again and talked to people, I've been surprised how many here not only have to problem with people carrying but also carry themselves. I love Idaho!

On the OP, I would throw my hands up for a second, state "I have a permit to carry" and return to whatever I was doing. If LEO's arrive due to a store employee calling in on me. I'd follow all directions until ascertained that I was legal. Go home, call a good bastard Lawyer and file suit against the establishment that call it in. I'm CC within State Law, the Business welcomes ALL (NO CC SIGN AT ENTRENCE) then I should not be harassed.

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand

Aresye,

yours, TN46

If it happened south of Ocala, I figure you'd end up like the person in the story about what happened at the Bass Pro Shop. South of Ocala, you might as well be in NYC or Newark because it's full of carpetbaggers that have come south and now are trying their damnedest to turn FL into where they just left.

North of Ocala, you are still in the South and there it's a little less likely that folks are gonna panic over seeing a holstered pistol in a Shall Issue state.

As for the original question, I don't know. I have never been put into the situation in nearly 20 years of almost daily concealed carry.

I make sure that what I'm wearing is loose enough, long enough, and enough of what ever else is necessary to hide the pistol I'm carrying that day through a normal range of motions. If it's not, then I change clothes, method of carry, or guns. Yes, I check in the mirror before I leave the house. I know where the gun is. If I can't see it and I know where and what to look for, chances are excellent nobody else will be able to see it.

As for someone accidentally touching it, that ain't happening. Nobody gets in contact with the gun. I consider an important retention issue. You can't take what you can't touch. In a crowd, my elbow is locked on the butt of the pistol with my hand stuck partially in my pant's pocket to hide the way I'm holding my arm. For some reason, folks have never tried to run me over in tight spaces like in your example. It might just be a Southern politeness thing. Folks still hold doors open for each other and say, "After you," around here so I seriously doubt that somebody is gonna try to buffalo past a full grown man in a crowd of adults as you suggest.

Wind blowing a cover garment and causing the pistol to be flashed is a whole 'nother problem. When wearing windbreakers, I carry my keys, cell phone, or reloads if I'm carrying a wheel gun in the lower slash pockets to add some weight to the lower edge of the jacket. I also choose jackets that have storm flaps over the zipper. All of them have either velcro or snap closures on the storm flap. I use one of the middle closures (usually about belt high) to keep the jacket from billowing open.

Iceman: You cannot just let stupid things I have mentioned in the past lay to rest, can you :sarcastic: Although to give myself some credit, I never mentioned a CCW badge, although I do know that must have been a hot topic in the past.

JTG: Good idea on the wind breaker. Being in Florida, with the approaching summer, do you have any recommendations for a windy day that is too hot for a jacket?

I agree with Woody1960 No big deal. My weapon at times buldges out from my shirt and, never have had a problem. Concealed means out of plain sight thats what i do as to the ignorant poeple that want to cause panic shame on them I would just advise them Im a legal permit holder and move on wouldnt stay there and argu with them or wait for security to show up if they want to talk to me they can find me.

Iceman: You cannot just let stupid things I have mentioned in the past lay to rest, can you :sarcastic: Although to give myself some credit, I never mentioned a CCW badge, although I do know that must have been a hot topic in the past.

JTG: Good idea on the wind breaker. Being in Florida, with the approaching summer, do you have any recommendations for a windy day that is too hot for a jacket?
aresye, its all in fun. Glad to see you posting again.:pleasantry:

Aresye,

yours, TN46

I figured most likely a tourist. But in a sporting goods store no less?

As far as most people "knowing" that their state is a shall-issue, many wouldn't. I didn't know it was even legal to open carry, much less conceal in Idaho and I've lived here 10 years. So to assume everyone knows, well.... you know the saying. BUT in contrast, as I've gotten into guns again and talked to people, I've been surprised how many here not only have to problem with people carrying but also carry themselves. I love Idaho!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back