What size is the right size?

I am sure I could conceal the little LC9 but it does recoil, I have shot about 50 rounds through the Shield and really like it but I also like my XDS other than the short grip. Decisions, decisions...

I recently upgraded my carry to the Ruger LC9s from a Bersa Thunder 380CC. Both pistols are the same height, length and weight; but you can definitely tell you are shooting 9mm with the Ruger My wife and I rented a bunch of single stack 9mm this summer and while we shot the Shield the best, it is just too large and angular for a pocket. The Ruger LC9 is thinner and lighter that both the Bersa and the Shield so it is snappier. You can use the pinkie extension on the Ruger's standard magazine to get a full hand grip.

I'll only address the point about not knowing what I'm talking about...in Ohio 6 months ago a 12 year veteran and a Sargent was patrolling with a rookie cope ( a female ) both officers qualified with their weapons ,9mm glocks...neither ever engaged in a life and death battle...the 12 year veteran has trained on 44 occasions including stress training, the two cops were Professionally trained. ..they stopped a guy for a traffic violation...the guy exited his car with an Ak-47 with 800 rounds the guy was trying to commit suicide by cop..yelling shoot me shoot me...the guy only fired at the car not the officers. The guy stood outside his car in the open with no cover. 20 feet from the two cops..the Sargent was so shook up he fired through the windshield with his 9mm , rendering every one of his shots ineffective, the female got off a couple dozen shot from outside the squad car ( she was the rookie..the two cops fired 56 rounds at the guy with the Ak-47
Of the 56 shots fired from both officers only 3 hit him..two non lethal an one head shot...the 12 year highly trained Sargent was completely ineffective... so that tells you just how much train takes you... you can find this dash cam video on line..
Just two days ago a well trained cop and his partner came across two bad guys robbing a game stop store...one cop is dead after firing multiple rounds missing and the other cop was only able to fire one non lethal shot be for back up came the bad guys put servers rounds in the dead cop, an two non lethal shot in the cop that survived...my point is well trained cops who have little actual experience in facing real mortal combat are no better off then the bad guys..in this case in. PHIILY..the bad guys got the upper hand and had it not been for back up..these bad guys would have got away..and all that police trying was not worth the price of a cup of coffee

Sent from my SM-N910V using USA Carry mobile app

On another not I was highly trained military combatant. ..it took me a dozen fire fight to become effective...it was only luck that I survived...most non experienced combatants who make a lethal shot. It's not call proper shot placement. It's called luck...for me proper shot placement came after a half dozen actual skermishes. ..in Vietnam. ..it's a known fact that for every dead enemy head count. 2000 rounds were fired..so there goes proper shot placement right out the window
As far as me facing a deadly attack, I have the mental forditude to be engage with proper shot placement because I've been there and done that countless times in 22 months
It's like riding a bicycle you never forget how to do it...so don't tell me I would not know how to defend myself...I've already done that twice as a civilian...

I carry a Smith & Wesson SD40VE in a Raw Dog IWB holster. It is very comfortable for being basically a full size pistol with 14 rounds of .40 S&W ammo. A good holster and a good belt will make it easier on you. And ET. Love that Kimber! My SD40VE was fairly inexpensive, and I know those Kimbers are way out of my price range. But like you, maybe some day I will have one of my own.

L8R,
Matt

Thanks Matt for understanding the Bucket list thing..I spent a lifetime, taking car of my wife and kids...giving them the most I could in an education...always putting myself at the very bottom of the priority list...I really didn't need the kimber...but owning it and shooting it...gives me a sense of satisfaction, knowing that I'm not being selfish.
At some point in life if you do things right, and done all the right things. ..you can get some stuff for yourself without feeling guilty.

I have owned the Ruger SR9c and it is a great carry gun. But so is the Ruger LCR and I also like the Ruger LC380. Bersa Thunder .380 is nice.
You have to try them. Myself, I sold all my guns except my Bersa Thunder .32 acp and my Kel Tec P-32 pocket pistol. They are dependable and accurate and work well for me. :dance3:

I just picked up a Sig P938 and am quite pleased with it. After shooting it out back yesterday at paper targets, again I am pleased with the groups it left, which would all fit within the palm of my hand (from 9 to 21 feet).

There are a couple of things that the average carrier might not like about this firearm.

1. While it is easy to field strip the pistol, the overly long spring makes replacing the barrel/spring back into the slide a little difficult. There are, however, Youtube videos that have helped considerably. Check the "nightmare" videos and you'll get the idea.

2. In some of the Sig P938 boxes one can find a Kydex holster. My P938 came with one, but my nephew's (who bought his last November) didn't have it. It is a good holster and allows me to carry at the #4 position (OWB) on my belt with the pistol cocked-n-locked. However, unless you remove the screw that adheres the holster together you will not be able to remove the pistol from it. I find without the screw, the holster works very well.

The pistol is a small 1911 9mm, and the best type of pistol I've seen yet. The warranty that Sig gives the buyer is for life, one of the best I've seen of any manufacturer, (of those which I've owned).

It has an exposed and rounded hammer, ambidextrous manual thumb safeties and an overall length of 5.9″. It measures 3.9″ high and 1.1″ wide, and SIG says the trigger pull weight is 7.5–8.5 lbs. The barrel length measures 3″, and the gun weighs 16 oz. (without a magazine). (Handgun review-gunsgunsguns.net)

Link Removed

I am glad you have the means to buy one. However just because a movie star can buy a million dollar purse doesn't mean they should.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using USA Carry mobile app

That Sig 938 is a sweet pistol just like ET's Kimber. And just like the Kimber, for now it is out of my price range. But there will be a day I will have something like that. As for now, I still like my lower priced SD40VE. But one of these days, who knows. Maybe I'll end up owning a Les Baer custom piece. Congrats on that Sig, mtnsniper!

L8R,
Matt

Be sure and check that p938 with the ammo you plan to carry. Gun-tests.com found it problematic with a popular personal defense round. In fact, they found it such a problem that they revised their initial rating to an "F". Fwiw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just picked up a Sig P938 and am quite pleased with it. After shooting it out back yesterday at paper targets, again I am pleased with the groups it left, which would all fit within the palm of my hand (from 9 to 21 feet).

There are a couple of things that the average carrier might not like about this firearm.

1. While it is easy to field strip the pistol, the overly long spring makes replacing the barrel/spring back into the slide a little difficult. There are, however, Youtube videos that have helped considerably. Check the "nightmare" videos and you'll get the idea.

2. In some of the Sig P938 boxes one can find a Kydex holster. My P938 came with one, but my nephew's (who bought his last November) didn't have it. It is a good holster and allows me to carry at the #4 position (OWB) on my belt with the pistol cocked-n-locked. However, unless you remove the screw that adheres the holster together you will not be able to remove the pistol from it. I find without the screw, the holster works very well.

The pistol is a small 1911 9mm, and the best type of pistol I've seen yet. The warranty that Sig gives the buyer is for life, one of the best I've seen of any manufacturer, (of those which I've owned).

It has an exposed and rounded hammer, ambidextrous manual thumb safeties and an overall length of 5.9″. It measures 3.9″ high and 1.1″ wide, and SIG says the trigger pull weight is 7.5–8.5 lbs. The barrel length measures 3″, and the gun weighs 16 oz. (without a magazine). (Handgun review-gunsgunsguns.net)

Link Removed
Im not sure who copied the design.. But I have Kimber Ultra CDP 45 ACP ( combat Defense Package. there are may 1911 designes but the specific lay out can be different ( slightly.. ) Your Sig is about as close to my Kimber as it comes,,,, I absolutely love the weight, tight tolerances, appearance and its ability to carry in the pocket... The other remarkable thing is for an all aluminum alloy weapon, its very light. It's amasingly accurate with much less " Kick" then you would expect from a 45 ACP. Its about the same size ( physically ) as my Thunder 380 ACP.
Your Sig ( absolutely gorgeous )
Link Removed
My Kimber
i-xtn3JQf-S.jpg

This size of personal carry weapon is by far the best size and design, Ive ever used over my 50 years of personal carry.
My Kimber 45 ACP is no bigger than my Thunder 380 ACP.
i-vczXbrD-L.jpg

I have one of these.... Quite an awesome little 9mm...... It is a Sig 938 also, just a different model than posted above, and of course, I think mine looks much better, lolLink Removed

If ya can't carry a Desert Eagle .50, then the next best thing is the SpFld V-10, .45cal. Link attached;
Link Removed
Link Removed
Sweet, fells good, and DEAD on. Especially if you have a big hand. -----JMHO-----

If ya can't carry a Desert Eagle .50, then the next best thing is the SpFld V-10, .45cal. Link attached;
Link Removed
Link Removed
Sweet, fells good, and DEAD on. Especially if you have a big hand. -----JMHO-----

That is a sweet looking pistol too..... Something about the lines and curves that all these smaller "copies" of the 1911 general design have that make them big-time eye pleasers....

Rob Pincus says: Subcompact 1911s Just don't work well....

From Trigger Time TV posted on May 7, 2012 (same date as the above video) (I added the bold):

Ok guys, Mr Pincus has laid down the challenge!

"I have gotten tired enough of watching people fight with 3" "subcompact" 1911 .45's to put this video (and the accompanying challenge) out in public.
I think 1911s are a bad idea to start with, but it is simply reckless to offer these mini-versions as defensive firearms to the public. They have a ZERO PERCENT Success rate in my training courses.... Never had one not fail. Yes, people will undoubtedly post how they have the magic unicorn Ultra Carry that never chokes. Cool--- SHOW UP at a class and prove it.... I'll refund your tuition and pay for the ammo if it really runs and you really run it."

In the comment section from the above video posted 3 months ago (I added the bold):

UPDATE: We had a Kimber Full Size Custom gun make it through a two day CFS class this weekend with Zero Malfunctions! (yes, that is the first one since this video has been posted 2.5 YEARS ago.... any brand, any size). Unfortunately for the student, a great dude, he had a few operation failures, including ones that involved the safety that kept him from being able to claim the free tuition / ammo offer. So, the challenge stands.
Normally, I am VERY engaged in the comments/questions on the content I post, but I do generally ignore the silliness in this thread. I thought about turning comments off, but I know a lot of people enjoy venting their opinions under this vid....so, Carry On!

Discuss.

Make and model does matter

I agree with everything being said except make and model. I have shot some guns that I Feel Are clunky. It's like running a poor she on vegetable oil, metaphorical speaking of course. I suggest go to range that has the most availability in rentals. Most will let you try more than one gun. Shoot different makes and models. Unless you have friends who have different guns to checkout. Also check out which guns have more to offer. For example glocks you can buy different calibers and accessories. I would not go with a caliber that's hard to find or not stocked heavy in guns shops. And check our prices for ammo in the caliber you want and compare it to other calibers. It may not be what you want to pay. I hope this helps.

You may want to go to a range that rents guns, handle the ones you think you like get it down to a what you like best and test fire it to see how it fits your hand and how well you shoot it. I agree with the man who said 9 mm Glock is the way to go. I carry a G 19 in a Remora IWB holster and have no problem hiding it. Just don't get in a hurry making your choice as it will cost you dearly to make a mistake.
PhilG

The best size is the one you will carry, because on the day you don't, that is when you will need it (Murphy's Law) I am 5'5" tall and weigh in around 200 lbs. I carry an XD-40 Service model in a Blackhawk Serpa holster, with no problems at all.

Howdy,

The best size is the one you will carry, because on the day you don't, that is when you will need it (Murphy's Law) I am 5'5" tall and weigh in around 200 lbs. I carry an XD-40 Service model in a Blackhawk Serpa holster, with no problems at all.

Yep!

Eventhough I'm not a 9mm fan or a pocket pistol/revolver fan and my EDC is either a Glock 23 or something bigger, if a .380 pocket postol is the biggest thing that you feel you can carry/conceal and then carry it!

A .380 in the pocket beats a mini-gun at home EVERY FREAKIN' TIME!!!!

Paul

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back