What size is the right size?

Audioi

Hi guys, fist time posting here, looks like a really informative forum so thought I would reach out for recommendations.
I did not want to steal another post like this one ( http://www.usacarry.com/forums/concealed-carry-discussion/49302-proper-gun-small-ish-frame.html ) so here goes.
I am 5' 9" 165 lbs and trying to decide what size 9mm I should carry. I see that the LCR is listed as a top pick but my CCW instructor says the Glock 19 is as small as anyone should choose, how do you hide something like that? Your thoughts?

the best size is the one that you'll always carry.
I carry full sized glocks and even larger sized ones.
the way to conceal any weapon is by having a good rig consisting of a good holster and a strong, sturdy belt.

Go to a gun show or a gun shop that you may intend to buy from or one that carries many and try them all. No one can REALLY tell you what will be best for you--ya gotta try um on. This is an expensive and very personal/moral decision you are making--don't rush it. I should add that firing many or all of your initial choices is obviously a major factor--feel when fired, recoil experience etal

Carry the one you like and fits your hand properly. What size the gun, or maker of the gun, would be irrelevant if it does not fit the hand or you do not like the gun. Practice, training, are the key http://youtu.be/TKkKcWA1UMo with a Bond derringer.

The right size is the size that you can and will be willing to carry. There's no cookie-cutter answer for that one. You've just got to get your hands on some weapons and see what fits you.

The advice given thus far is sound. Your instructor has his opinion, but it is your opinion you have to live with. Try different guns of different caliber and styles at a gun store/range. I tried many guns like Glock, Sig, Berretta, and then I tried the Ruger SR9, and knew that was the gun for me. I liked the feel and balance. I've never bee sorry. I'm not saying that would be the gun for you, but you have to try many to pick one.

Hi guys, fist time posting here, looks like a really informative forum so thought I would reach out for recommendations.
I did not want to steal another post like this one ( http://www.usacarry.com/forums/concealed-carry-discussion/49302-proper-gun-small-ish-frame.html ) so here goes.
I am 5' 9" 165 lbs and trying to decide what size 9mm I should carry. I see that the LCR is listed as a top pick but my CCW instructor says the Glock 19 is as small as anyone should choose, how do you hide something like that? Your thoughts?

You instructor is an idiot.

I agree with what's been said so far. Will add that the smaller 'pocket' pistols may be easier to conceal, but they also recoil more because there's less gun to absorb the blow and they're also less accurate at a range of 20 feet or so than the larger handguns.

Most use holsters to conceal, i like the concealed carry fanny packs because you can carry a full size pistol (depending on which you get), they'll also hold keys and cellphone leaving pockets free for a pocket gun or just for comfort, and you pull the flap to draw rather than raise your shirt.

I ordered this inexpensive one from walmart, but more expensive ones are out there. I tend to wear sweat pants and a tshirt rather than blue jeans too. People here wear these (fanny packs) for walking and jogging quite a bit in indyland. Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement Fanny Pack - Walmart.com

I agree with what's been said so far. Will add that the smaller 'pocket' pistols may be easier to conceal, but they also recoil more because there's less gun to absorb the blow and they're also less accurate at a range of 20 feet or so than the larger handguns.

Most use holsters to conceal, i like the concealed carry fanny packs because you can carry a full size pistol (depending on which you get), they'll also hold keys and cellphone leaving pockets free for a pocket gun or just for comfort, and you pull the flap to draw rather than raise your shirt.

I ordered this inexpensive one from walmart, but more expensive ones are out there. I tend to wear sweat pants and a tshirt rather than blue jeans too. People wear these (fanny packs) for walking and jogging quite a bit in indyland. Ka-Bar TDI Law Enforcement Fanny Pack - Walmart.com

Hey all, first post here. My answer to the OP's question is similar to what others have already stated. I've had numerous CC pistols. Glock 27, Ruger LCP, Diamondback DB9, Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact, and now a S&W Shield in 9mm. I've found the Shield to be my favorite of all of them and here is why: The double-stack mags of the G27 and PX4 were difficult for me to conceal on my 160lb frame and were uncomfortable for all day carry. (YMMV). The Ruger LCP was a nice little gun but I wanted a little more juice, so I stepped up to the DB9. That gun was the biggest POS I have ever owned and I had multiple FTF issues with that. It didn't want to run any kind of HP ammo consistently. That is an absolute fail for any CC pistol IMO. I traded it and the PX4 for the Shield and couldn't be happier. It is a little larger than a mouse gun but still has the slim profile with the single stack mag for easy concealment in a IWB holster. My final thoughts are this. You are probably going to have to go through a few different guns and spend time at length at the range, carrying, and really getting to know the weapon until you find the "right" one for you. You can read as many articles or listen to all your friends telling you to buy this or that. But those are THEIR opinions and your probably will differ. I don't consider the money I spent on the various weapons a loss. I consider it a learning curve and safety investment.

Hey all, first post here. My answer to the OP's question is similar to what others have already stated. I've had numerous CC pistols. Glock 27, Ruger LCP, Diamondback DB9, Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact, and now a S&W Shield in 9mm. I've found the Shield to be my favorite of all of them and here is why: The double-stack mags of the G27 and PX4 were difficult for me to conceal on my 160lb frame and were uncomfortable for all day carry. (YMMV). The Ruger LCP was a nice little gun but I wanted a little more juice, so I stepped up to the DB9. That gun was the biggest POS I have ever owned and I had multiple FTF issues with that. It didn't want to run any kind of HP ammo consistently. That is an absolute fail for any CC pistol IMO. I traded it and the PX4 for the Shield and couldn't be happier. It is a little larger than a mouse gun but still has the slim profile with the single stack mag for easy concealment in a IWB holster. My final thoughts are this. You are probably going to have to go through a few different guns and spend time at length at the range, carrying, and really getting to know the weapon until you find the "right" one for you. You can read as many articles or listen to all your friends telling you to buy this or that. But those are THEIR opinions and your probably will differ. I don't consider the money I spent on the various weapons a loss. I consider it a learning curve and safety investment.

I am sure I could conceal the little LC9 but it does recoil, I have shot about 50 rounds through the Shield and really like it but I also like my XDS other than the short grip. Decisions, decisions...

I am sure I could conceal the little LC9 but it does recoil, I have shot about 50 rounds through the Shield and really like it but I also like my XDS other than the short grip. Decisions, decisions...

Get a Pierce grip extension for the flush mags on your XDS, takes nothing away from the conceal-ability and my pinky is much happier with something to hold onto.
61Wqq3suZvL._SL256_.jpg

As UFGator kind of shows in his post - there's nothing wrong with getting several guns for different occasions. I thought I was only going to get one but started with a 357 magnum revolver for home defense, then to carry got a 16 round 9mm pistol. Now I want a 9mm rifle since I already have ammo for it and think a pocket pistol/mouse gun would be nice to have for when I'm going on a quick run to the store and don't want to take the time to strap on my carry pack. I'm not a gun nut or nothin' ... but they do get kind of addictive:laugh:

What guns do you shoot well?

Out of those guns, which one can you hide the easiest?

That's the one you should carry.

Carrying a gun does you no good if you can't hit what you are aiming at.

I am 5'7"/130lbs and regularly carry my 9mm Glock 26 with the standard 10-round magazine and a spare 17-round magazine. I also have a 9mm Glock 19, which I don't carry at the moment (as it is permanently setup for home defense). However, I easily could carry it. When hiking, I carry a 10mm Glock 20 with two spare 15-round magazines. When jogging, I carry a .380 ACP Taurus TCP 738. I always carry 4-o'clock IWB. I always carry guns with a consistent manual of arms (i.e., no manual safety, one round in the chamber, no single-action).

As already mentioned, carry a gun that you shoot well and that you would practice with often. A mouse/pocket gun may conceal easily, but will you shoot 100 rounds through it in a practice session without complaining about the recoil and can you actually hit anything with it in a real defense scenario (e.g. shooting one-handed)?

When it comes to concealing, the length of the grip is often the deciding factor as the grip often points slightly away from the body (for IWB and OWB carry) and prints into your cover garment. Width is rarely a factor. Note that as long as printing is not against the law in your state, it doesn't really matter much. Most people are completely oblivious to printing. As long as you don't wear a body-tight shirt as cover garment, you should be fine.

When it comes to comfort of carry, don't underestimate the impact of a proper holster and belt. Both help distributing the weight of the gun and keeping it close to the body. Keeping the gun close to the body also helps with concealment.

Note that if you go for the Glock 19 and it turns out to be too big for you, you can switch to the Glock 26 without necessarily replacing your holster. The Glock 26, 27, 19, 23, 17 and 22 all are based on the same frame. They only differ in frame/slide length and grip length. Holsters for larger Glocks typically accommodate the smaller ones.

Good double-stack 9mm options are the Glock 19 and 26, as well as, the S&W M&P 9c. The Springfield XD® Mod.2™ is an interesting option as well. Similar variants exist in .40 S&W.

Good single-stack 9mm options are the S&W M&P Shield without thumb safety and the Springfield XDS. Glock still refuses to make a single-stack 9mm, despite the demand for it. The S&W M&P Shield also exists in .40 S&W.

As UFGator kind of shows in his post - there's nothing wrong with getting several guns for different occasions. I thought I was only going to get one but started with a 357 magnum revolver for home defense, then to carry got a 16 round 9mm pistol. Now I want a 9mm rifle since I already have ammo for it and think a pocket pistol/mouse gun would be nice to have for when I'm going on a quick run to the store and don't want to take the time to strap on my carry pack. I'm not a gun nut or nothin' ... but they do get kind of addictive:laugh:

I am quickly finding this out, I think one of each would do just fine!!!

What guns do you shoot well?

Out of those guns, which one can you hide the easiest?

That's the one you should carry.

Carrying a gun does you no good if you can't hit what you are aiming at.

The M&P does the ticket but overall I like my 92-A1 better, its just huge and has a trigger safety.

The M&P does the ticket but overall I like my 92-A1 better, its just huge and has a trigger safety.

Concealed carry is about compromise.

You either go with a gun that's a little smaller (and, therefore, harder to shoot well) for ease of concealment or you have to change the way you dress to hide a larger gun that's easy to shoot.

Either way you go, you get to a point of diminishing returns. You can get to a gun so small that you can't shoot it accurately but can hide it almost anywhere and you can wear clothing that can conceal anything but makes you stand out like a Sherman button at a Georgia picnic. The balance point is different for everyone based on their shooting abilities, tolerance level to discomfort (a concealed gun is supposed to comforting not comfortable) and location- since that sort of dictates how you can dress without stand out like a sore thumb.

I do not share your instructors 'opinion' about the G19 (compact) being the smallest you should chose, I carry the G29 (10mm, sub-compact). I really like the gun itself, but it is fat, heavier, and less comfortable than my S&W SW9VE. It also doesn't hide as well. I would love to gee the G29 in a 'Slim Line" config.

Like others have mentioned, Pearce Grips is a great addition to add the third finger to the shorter grips.

Hiding is based on the type of holster, size of the gun, and cover garment(s).

I can hide a shotgun or carbine using a sling and under a trench coat. Doesn't mean I want to and not very comfortable.

Dress around your gun. The bigger the gun the better your concealment clothing needs to be.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back