What size is the right size?

I was looking at that kimber but o decided the ruger sc40c. It had a laser on it and I like the sight for alive round. Plus I couldn't beat the price was $459. I had shoot this gun before and almost made it my first gun.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using USA Carry mobile app

I was looking at that kimber but o decided the ruger sc40c. It had a laser on it and I like the sight for alive round. Plus I couldn't beat the price was $459. I had shoot this gun before and almost made it my first gun.

of course you could not beat that price on the Ruger. FYI my Kimber comes with Crimson Laser grips, and Meprolight night sights in the combat defense package from the custom shop... You could also buy 3 Rugers for the price of one of these Kimbers.

i-sXW5hWg-L.jpg

i-HV4K5d4-L.jpg

Carry an XDm 9mm 4.5 in winter, and XD-S .45 in summer. No extra mag. for the XDm (19+1), and 1 7-rounder extra mag. for the XD-S (5+1).

Looks like the XD-S 9mm might be in the running, if you are into single-stacks. Same size as the XD-S .45, but a bit heavier because of extra barrel material.

The wife has an XDS 9mm 3.3 but its a bit tiny for me to shoot, guess this is a story of cake and eat it too.

It does sound like more than once carry depending on the time of year. Here in the northeast I can almost conceal a 12 ga shotgun on many days but we are hoping that soon the warm weather will return.

big gun in a small package,.. easy to pocket carry.. I pulled the gun up slightly to show that its in my pocket..

i-5rj3CvS-M.jpg

i-GJJkQn5-M.jpg

i-KHgrNqR-M.jpg

i-sGnSR3q-M.jpg

That Kimber is a sweet looking piece and they are made only a couple hundred miles from here!
Thank you... its by far the nicest, most accurate and highest quality, and most comfortable to carry, hand gun I've ever owned in 50 years of personal carry. It was my bucket list choice.

As a point of interest... here is a picture with my hand in my pocket.... I actually have the weapon in my hand ready to draw... but to the average eye.. IM just an old guy walking down the street with my hand in my pocket. IM not lifting my shirt or displaying the weapon but I've already got the weapon in my hand.. something you cant do with a waist band or belt mounted holster, without telegraphing that you are carrying...

i-2Xf7L26-L.jpg

As a point of interest... here is a picture with my hand in my pocket.... I actually have the weapon in my hand ready to draw... but to the average eye.. IM just an old guy walking down the street with my hand in my pocket. IM not lifting my shirt or displaying the weapon but I've already got the weapon in my hand.. something you cant do with a waist band or belt mounted holster, without telegraphing that you are carrying...

Right, and sitting down in a restaurant and drawing the pistol from that position is something you can not do when pocket carrying. You also can't draw from a front pocket when crouching down (e.g., when ducking for cover). There are pros and cons with every carry method. When carrying IWB at 4 o'clock, I don't grab my firearm until I need to employ it. I don't fondle the firearm and I am certainly not lifting my shirt. Someone walking with his hands in his pockets is always suspicious to me as it is a standard method for a BG to quickly pull a weapon (e.g., a folding knife, switchblade, or pocket gun). That typically puts me in condition orange.

Right, and sitting down in a restaurant and drawing the pistol from that position is something you can not do when pocket carrying. You also can't draw from a front pocket when crouching down (e.g., when ducking for cover). There are pros and cons with every carry method. When carrying IWB at 4 o'clock, I don't grab my firearm until I need to employ it. I don't fondle the firearm and I am certainly not lifting my shirt. Someone walking with his hands in his pockets is always suspicious to me as it is a standard method for a BG to quickly pull a weapon (e.g., a folding knife, switchblade, or pocket gun). That typically puts me in condition orange.
I don't go to restaurants where I might draw my weapon because of a bad meal. I cant crouch IM too old... IN 70 years of eating at restaurants, Ive never had that bad of a meal that would require an armed response.
You don't grab your firearm until you are ready to employ it.... how many fire arms have you employed???? IN 50 years of carry, I've never employed a single fire arm , I have however, on two different occasions, deployed my weapon to protect myself and my family. if your weapon becomes unemployed, can it collect unemployment compensation?
When someone has their hands in their pocket, you go to condition orange???? I don't know what that is... but I do have Cancer from Agent Orange... I guess that is a permanent condition Orange. I cant carry at 4 o'clock, I'm left handed. Maybe I am a Bad guy because I have my hands in my pockets often.. I also carry a knife... in my pocket...

I don't go to restaurants where I might draw my weapon because of a bad meal. I cant crouch IM too old... IN 70 years of eating at restaurants, Ive never had that bad of a meal that would require an armed response.
You don't grab your firearm until you are ready to employ it.... how many fire arms have you employed???? IN 50 years of carry, I've never employed a single fire arm , I have however, on two different occasions, deployed my weapon to protect myself and my family. if your weapon becomes unemployed, can it collect unemployment compensation?
When someone has their hands in their pocket, you go to condition orange???? I don't know what that is... but I do have Cancer from Agent Orange... I guess that is a permanent condition Orange. I cant carry at 4 o'clock, I'm left handed. Maybe I am a Bad guy because I have my hands in my pockets often.. I also carry a knife... in my pocket...

So, you are not ready to fight when getting robbed at a restaurant or when ISIS decides to take over the mall the restaurant you are eating at is attached to. Your choice. I am prepared.

When you are being threatened or actually shot at, being 70 is the least you will be thinking about. Taking cover (or at least seeking concealment) is the first action of a response plan. That can be as simple as taking a knee behind something (counter, wall, car, etc.) Taking a knee on the side where you carry your gun in the pocket will allow you to still draw the gun from that pocket. Similarly, if you are sitting in a restaurant, moving slightly off the chair so you can angle down your leg as you were taking a knee will allow you to draw from the pocket. Both options are not as simple as drawing from 4-o'clock, but feasible if practiced before.

Employ and deploy can both be used to describe the use of a firearm for self defense. Try to employ your brain when writing posts.

Employ - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

employ

transitive verb

1(a): to make use of (someone or something inactive) <employ a pen for sketching>
1(b): to use (as time) advantageously <a job that employed her skills>
1(c)(I) : to use or engage the services of (II): to provide with a job that pays wages or a salary

2: to devote to or direct toward a particular activity or person <employed all her energies to help the poor>

Deploy - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

deploy

transitive verb

1(a): to extend (a military unit) especially in width
1(b): to place in battle formation or appropriate positions

2: to spread out, utilize, or arrange for a deliberate purpose <deploy a sales force> <deploy a parachute>

intransitive verb

: to move, spread out, or function while being deployed <the troops deployed along the front> <the parachute failed to deploy>

Try to read up on common self defense and firearms knowlegde. You may learn something. Jeff Cooper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Combat Mindset and the Cooper Color Code

White: Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow: Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to shoot today". You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six." (In aviation 12 o'clock refers to the direction in front of the aircraft's nose. Six o'clock is the blind spot behind the pilot.) In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep. As Cooper put it, "I might have to shoot."

Orange: Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot that person today", focusing on the specific target which has caused the escalation in alert status. In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that person does "X", I will need to stop them". Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

Red: Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger (established back in Condition Orange) has been tripped. "If 'X' happens I will shoot that person" - 'X' has happened, the fight is on.

Lefties wouldn't carry at 4. Instead they would carry at 8. You wouldn't expect me to carry in my left pocket as a right-handed person either.

How is this all related to the OP's question about the right size? There are many factors when it comes to carrying and eventually using a firearm for self defense. They all involve tradeoffs, as well as, proper training and practice. It doesn't matter how big or small the gun is you are carrying if you have not the slightest idea about how to use it in an actual self defense situation.

I was not responding to the op.. I was responding to someone who had some comments to make about my choice of carry weapons.. specifically my Kimber combat defense package 45 ACP... as far as your tutorial on a self defense plan... how many lives have you taken in the defense of your life... ??? IN my two years ( 22 months ) of combat in south east Asia .. I've taken more than I want to remember. IM still here after 70 years. So come back and tell me how you made out once you reach 70.... with 50 years of combined military combat, military active duty and civilian carry, and my military use of deadly force and my two civilian encounter makes me an experience and lethal combatant...
I find is sadly pathetic that you are trying to tell me the mind set on how to defend myself... going through CHECK LIST.. of actions and reactions... FYI, I've been doing this for a very long time. offering to the OP, a very big gun in a small package , with consideration to comfortable concealed carry, summer or winter. Thank you for the time you spent trying to keep me alive and how I should defend myself against ISIS at the Olive Garden.. or the Four Seasons restaurant.

That is True however Ruger makes some awesome guns. If you go the the pharmacy do you buy the clartin$ 24 or the $10 lordatine. It has the exact same Ingredient. I not saying your kimber is the same as the Ruger. I am saying they are just as good. I think Kimber is over priced.

That is True however Ruger makes some awesome guns. If you go the the pharmacy do you buy the clartin$ 24 or the $10 lordatine. It has the exact same Ingredient. I not saying your kimber is the same as the Ruger. I am saying they are just as good. I think Kimber is over priced.

There are lots of good weapons for 1/3 the price of the Kimber.... I think you missed several points I was making.. One is, IM old and have survived both military and civilian attacks, defending my life... When you get to be my age, you buy things for more than just the need. When you have advanced stage Cancer, you buy things because you want them,,,, I've spent my life time buying Rugers, that are pedestrian as they come because Children and grand children and college and weddings etc, take the priority... I now buy things because I can, I just spent 300 dollars on a pocket knife ( Zero Tolerance ZT 301 with tiger stripes ) a have a bunch of 20 dollar and 50 dollar knives... ...not so much to brag about the cost, but to give myself an Atta-Boy for doing it right....... that is, I've been married to the same woman for 47 years, and we are still in love...I have 2 great kids, one has a PHD, and the other followed my second career as an engineer.. I also have four grand children... I have absolutely no regrets.. because I did it right... made the priorities a priority.. with a short time remaining in my life... the little things I buy are just because I can, without being selfish to my family...
BTW the Kimber is only overpriced " To You " ... no one held a gun to my head... I'm financially very comfortable, and if I died tomorrow I would have no regrets.

Apples to apples???? I don't think so

Ruger SC40C ( plastic composite gun )

i-CFJg2vL-L.jpg

Kimber Ultra Carry CDP 45 ACP with Crimson laser sights and Meprolight night sights. ( All Alloy frame and slide and bushingless SS barrel, rosewood grips. )

i-XpRppVN-L.jpg

I was not responding to the op.. I was responding to someone who had some comments to make about my choice of carry weapons.. specifically my Kimber combat defense package 45 ACP... as far as your tutorial on a self defense plan... how many lives have you taken in the defense of your life... ??? IN my two years ( 22 months ) of combat in south east Asia .. I've taken more than I want to remember. IM still here after 70 years. So come back and tell me how you made out once you reach 70.... with 50 years of combined military combat, military active duty and civilian carry, and my military use of deadly force and my two civilian encounter makes me an experience and lethal combatant...
I find is sadly pathetic that you are trying to tell me the mind set on how to defend myself... going through CHECK LIST.. of actions and reactions... FYI, I've been doing this for a very long time. offering to the OP, a very big gun in a small package , with consideration to comfortable concealed carry, summer or winter. Thank you for the time you spent trying to keep me alive and how I should defend myself against ISIS at the Olive Garden.. or the Four Seasons restaurant.

Once again, thank you for your service. Military combat and civilian self defense are two completely different issues. You should know that by now. Note that my reply was just trying to explain my wording from my original post, which you chose to ridicule in a follow-up (drawing in a restaurant due to bad food, employ vs. deploy, Condition Orange vs. Agent Orange, etc.). You have the freedom to remain ignorant, but don't ridicule those that aren't. It just makes you look stupid. (I assume that you do not consider a shopping mall attack similar to the one on 9/21/13 at the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya. Link Removed.) If you get a chance, read up on Jeff Cooper.

Once again, thank you for your service. Military combat and civilian self defense are two completely different issues. You should know that by now. Note that my reply was just trying to explain my wording from my original post, which you chose to ridicule in a follow-up (drawing in a restaurant due to bad food, employ vs. deploy, Condition Orange vs. Agent Orange, etc.). You have the freedom to remain ignorant, but don't ridicule those that aren't. It just makes you look stupid. (I assume that you do not consider a shopping mall attack similar to the one on 9/21/13 at the Westgate shopping mall in Nairobi, Kenya. Link Removed.) If you get a chance, read up on Jeff Cooper.
don't get your panties In a bind...Tha hazing I displayed was to your irreverent attempt to teach me rudimentary self defense principles...there are many dooms day people on these forums,
preparing for the all out ISIS attack....I'm not dismissing the chance of that happening, but the chances of that happening to you is about as probable as you winning a 300 million dollar lottery . Truth is, some one wins those lotterys..but the chances are 1 in 1.8 billion...there is way too much emphasis on being prepared, only to find out that no one is prepared to face death, unless they have HaD that experience enough times to actually be experiences...prepping for a life threatening encounter can Only be practiced under life threatening circumstances. No one is prepared for actual mortal combat..

don't get your panties In a bind...Tha hazing I displayed was to your irreverent attempt to teach me rudimentary self defense principles...there are many dooms day people on these forums,
preparing for the all out ISIS attack....I'm not dismissing the chance of that happening, but the chances of that happening to you is about as probable as you winning a 300 million dollar lottery . Truth is, some one wins those lotterys..but the chances are 1 in 1.8 billion...there is way too much emphasis on being prepared, only to find out that no one is prepared to face death, unless they have HaD that experience enough times to actually be experiences...prepping for a life threatening encounter can Only be practiced under life threatening circumstances. No one is prepared for actual mortal combat..

Your previous posts already displayed that you don't know much about modern self defense principles (or the proper use of the English language). My ISIS attack scenario was just an example, so was getting robbed at a restaurant. The bold part is absolute nonsense and shows that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back