What makes a good long distance rifle?

ben_p

Greetings, I've been getting back into shooting more and more and I would like to purchase something that I can use to shoot at long distances (750 - 1000+ meters). There are a lot of options out there and I'm interested in knowing what to look for in a rifle that will make it good for long distances. Brand names and models are OK but more importantly I want to know what traits those brands/models have that make them good?

Some of what I can think of (please correct if I'm wrong) could be caliber? longer barrel length? a floating barrel?

Also, if you have any input into why certain characteristics make a rifle better at longer distances or how much of a difference a characteristic makes that could be useful when purchasing as well.

Thanks.

P.S. I know the shooter is going to make the biggest difference at those distances and if I'm off by a very little bit it will be greatly compounded at those distances but someday I hope to have the shooter consistent enough to handle those types of changes.

There's a bunch of deferent ways to go m1a not bad at all. M110 I pulled right out of the box and slapped a scope on and started knocking out 1,000. But there r cheaper ways like building ur own. I think its funner that way.

AR10 SuperS.A.S.S. RIFLE 7.62 FORWARD ASSIST BLACK

Medium%20Images%5CRifles%5C10SBFMEDIUM350.jpg

SAVAGE 10FP

Savage makes an awesome beginning long range platform. The link above is for my rifle. She still gets it done after 10 years of hard use!!!

SAVAGE 10FP

Savage makes an awesome beginning long range platform. The link above is for my rifle. She still gets it done after 10 years of hard use!!!

Savage has been particularly singled out as the best out of the box accurate rifle. Don't know if it still has that distinction but if not, it is still close to the top in accuracy and close to the bottom in it's class in price.

Look at who uses what in the record books. Everybody who shoots long distance will have his druthers. I like a Rem 308 but I also like a Barrett 50. I don't have a Barrett 50 because I just can't justify it's use in SC whereas the 308 is an all around gun if you want it to be.

I had an Match Grade M1A 10years ago and sold it for the same price I could get for it today. They are nice but I got rid of it because I never used it although I'm thinking of getting one again.

I hate guns, they are the sole source of my addiction.

My precious..........

KK

Google "Savage 111 LRH"
Google "long range hunting forums", and READ and READ, and LEARN.
Be prepared to spend LOTS of TIME at the range.
I have a Sendero in 300RUM....10 shots/12" @ 1000yds is my best.

Good luck in your quest!

Later....

OK, I guess I should have been a bit more clear with my question...

What makes the Savage more accurate at long distances than a Winchester firearm? What makes one model of Savage more accurate than another?

I'm not trying to find the best firearm but I'm trying to find what characteristics make one firearm better than another.

Thanks.

I just thought of possibly a better way to ask...

If you were building a custom long distance rifle what would you put down as functional characteristics it would have?

One of the things that I don't think has been resolved is glass bedding vs. free floating. There are arguments on both sides and some pretty good gunmakers opt for free floating but that may just be because it is easier. Some really fine gunmakers that do custom work for individuals do glass bedding.

Are you planning to buy stock, or order custom?

KK

One of the things that I don't think has been resolved is glass bedding vs. free floating.

Perfect, well, not perfect that it hasn't been decided but that's the types of things I'm looking for.

Are you planning to buy stock, or order custom?

I'm probably going to buy something stock rather than custom just to save price. That's why I want to know what makes a good rifle though. I'd rather not buy something just because it's this or that brand. I want to know why a brand/model is better than another.

The last deer I took this season was with my brother Remington model 700 in .223 @ 100 yards in the left eye. That model gun you can get in, well a ****-ton of different calibers. Accurate as hell and bolt action. I dont know why but I do love bolt actions...

JD

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back