What if someone grabs your firearm while you are Open Carrying?

SirTapparuni

What would you do? Im curious to know what can be done, and your thoughts.

What would you do? Im curious to know what can be done, and your thoughts.

What would any reasonable person or decent law enforcement officer do if someone grabbed @ their sidearm?
It all depend's on the situation....

For example;

If it was some curious child touching my sidearm, then I would simply pull the child's hand away and give the kid a little educational scolding.

If it was some idiotic anti-gun libtard trying to prove some stupid point, then I would probably b*tch slap him/her across the face.

If it was some violent thug trying to grab @ my sidearm, then it's clearly self-defense time.

The Outlaw Has this happened to you before?

Nope....Never has.....

Actually, I'm wrong....It actually did happen to me once, many years ago, when I used to work as an armed security patrol officer.

A little boy touched my holster.

I was standing in line at a Subway sandwich shop (lunchtime) and the little boy was standing with his mom directly behind me.
I felt someone touch my holster and I quickly reacted by moving myself away from the little boy.

Then I looked at his mother (who quickly apologized for her kid's curiosity).

I smiled at the little boy and patted him on top of his head while pointing my other finger at him and saying "No, No, No!"
The kid and his mom both smiled back at me and I went about my business.

Nobody was injured or killed in this situation.

How long have you OC? And what state do you live in? I also would like to say I like your choice of words...Libtard. I'll have to remember that.

sent from a Samsung Galaxy S4

If you are open carrying then I think it is up to you to be more aware of who and what is around you. If you think that by open carrying someone could take your gun from you I think that maybe open carrying is not for you. Maybe I am being unreasonable but I think if someone gets your OC gun it is your fault.
One situation that sticks out in my mind was when I was in a Turkey Hill store and this guy who was open carrying was crouched down looking at some newspaper or magazines. This caused the butt of his gun to extend away from his hip just a bit. I had two thoughts. One was if he was aware and on extra alert to his position and vulnerability. The other was if I or someone else could get his weapon before he could. No I didn't try. Everything has it's pro and cons. It's just that you need to be aware and prepared for each situation.

How long have you OC? And what state do you live in? I also would like to say I like your choice of words...Libtard. I'll have to remember that.

I open carried for approx. 14 years when I was employed as both a Federal Reserve 'wanna be' LEO and as an Armed Security Officer in Southern California.
Now I live in Texas and I only carry concealed.

Criminals have many other much easier options available to them to obtain a firearm than to steal it from the holster of the person carrying it. Criminals typically are not stupid - they are lazy and will opt for the easiest targets and they are just as afraid of getting shot and/or killed as any other person is. That being said, The_Outlaw covered it rather well.

Situational awareness comes first. Second, summed up well above. Third, the libtard (or whomever else was trying to prove a point) would get a slap/punch and hopefully a charge for attempted robbery/theft.

For what it's worth, if someone can grab your carry weapon, you need to be more aware of your surroundings. And I have carried daily for 30+ years, working and not working, and never had anyone grab my gun.

For what it's worth, if someone can grab your carry weapon, you need to be more aware of your surroundings. And I have carried daily for 30+ years, working and not working, and never had anyone grab my gun.

I would argue, like above, that most people aren't stupid enough to grab a gun from someone's hip unless there's an element of desperation. There's easier ways to get one. With all due respect, just because no one ever did doesn't mean that they never could.

Thank's for the input...

But I was completely aware that the small boy and his mom were both standing behind me in line at the Subway sandwich shop.

Also, my right forearm was resting atop my sidearm as I stood in line (as it always did habitually). :cool:

Im looking for a good OC holster for my XDM 3.8 9mm. So far a Serpa or the XDM gear. But according to Blackhawks website, the serpa only fits the XD. Any input would be appreciated.

the 'gun-grabbing' politicians try to take your 'oc' and other weapons , somewhere everyday...what are YOU doing about it.....and yes it is happening to me and you as we speak.....call'em,write'em,go to their meetings, vote'em out....Semper Fi

Thinking more along the lines of a physical reaction to someone touching or grabbing at your gun, your very first reaction should be to force the gun into your holster. Doesn't matter if the touch was intentional or not, and if it was a kid, this initial reaction will probably not hurt the kid unless you squash a finger ("hot stove" type lesson learned on the kids part).
-
There are several other techniques you can learn on how to deal with close quarters combat, gun retention techniques etc., but the initial reaction is important. Since holsters generally protect the trigger, this keeps it hidden and safely out of play. It is also good, if you do enter into a CQC situation that there is not a gun involved unless you choose to bring it into play. Easier to draw it later than try to get it back from the BG now.

I don't carry in the open, so that's not an issue for me. But my son-in-law carried sometimes in the military. His solution was to keep an fixed-blade kerambit style knife on the other side, blade forward. If someone tried to grab his firearm, all he had to do was lock down on their wrist with his shooting hand, pull out that little blade with his other hand, and slice their forearm to the bone. No grip = no theft of gun. I actually liked that idea and it is now firmly stored in my 'tactical thoughts library'.

I had this happen while I was at work, [Armed Security] I was standing somewhat against a wall, watching something that could have turned into an incident and some older guy "Former LE" put his hand on my weapon and I felt him kinda tug [outwards] I immediately grabbed his wrist and did somewhat of a standing arm bar & ended up taking him to the ground. He kept yelling "ow I was just looking at it" needless to say I wasnt too happy, and he got a bit of an ass chewing for doing it. Afterward he apologized for his stupidity and stated he'd never seen the M&P and was thinking of getting one.
In civilian clothes, it would depend on the situation and who it is.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back