What gun do you take camping?

santa

santa
The times Ive been car-camping in a campground Ive always carried a 22 mag and a 38 or 357mag handgun and kept it hidden. But when backpacking or car-camping well off the road I carried a 22 mag revolver and a 357 or 44 magnum. My idea was the 22 was backup and the larger revolvers would be large enough for dangerous animals such as an irate bear. Most of my backbacking was in California and Washington state. Now I have a cabin in the woods and keep a 12 gauge ready. What do any of you carry camping and why? Just curious thats all.

I take my .40 and my 9mm, but I also only go camping where the largest dangerous animals I have to worry about are a wolf or human. If I were to go somewhere that I might encounter bears or mountain lions, I would think a handgun wouldn't cut it. But I def would like to hear from some people more experienced!

I carry the same Compact 9mm I carry all the time..
I thought about carrying my .45, but I live in Florida and don't see the weight to benefit ratio..
The worst thing I'll run into is a big Boar.. The bears we have down here are pretty small and Black bear at that..
IF I was hiking Alaska, then I'd move up in caliber for sure!!

If I am off the beaten path I will have a S&W 65 in .357 magnum on my hip.

If I am camping with the wife in an established campground then I will more then likely have a S&W 642 with 135 grain +P short barrel gold dots in my pocket. That or my XD .40S&W with 180 grain gold dots.

My normal woods gun is an old 1917 Smith (one of the Brazilian contract models) that has been converted to .45 Colt. I tote it in a right hand crossdraw to keep it out of the way and draw it using the Cavalry or twist draw method (I'm left handed). I'm too far south for bears and too far north for gators, so all I have to worry about is 2 legged varmints and feral dogs. The sight of a big N-Frame Smith tends to keep the former toned down and a half ounce of lead travelling at 850fps plus does the job on the latter if it becomes necessary.

For more social circumstances like a camp ground, I go with one of my normal concealed carry guns and keep the 12 gauge or a pistol caliber lever action carbine (normally a '94 Trapper in .45 Colt) out of sight but handy.

I was thinking about the same situation. I am pretty sure I will go with my SW 360pd airlite in 357. I put the crimson trace grip on it with the shock absorption pocket. It really cut down on the palm pain. I like the idea of the crimson in panic situations as aiming is one less thing I have to consider. I call it PHD...PULL HERE DUMMY :biggrin:

My camping is almost always done in conjunction with motorcycle riding so I bring a more concealable gun with me.....something I can carry in the inside pocket of my riding jacket. My HK SK, LCP, or LCR all fit the bill.

Depends on where and when. Friend wife & I routinely carry 9mm semi auto sidearms. Mine is a nice old t-series BHP, hers is a newer BHP Compact, both Belgian. There are 2 GI M1 carbines, a 12 Ga. Mossberg 500 A, and a GI M1 rifle in the truck. We've camped from Florida to Alaska and Maine to California much of the time camping in BLM, National or State forest land. The pistols and perhaps a carbine handy or in the tent is comforting if two legged menace is a concern. In brown bear country the shotgun and the rifle will be definitely be readily available. Over the years what we have used most has been mosquito coils.

Hope your luck is as good and your experiences as enjoyable as my family's has been.

Regards - Al

If in a state park where only ccw is allowed and depending on the temperature, either a 1911 or a keltec p11 9mm. Everywhere else in the woods, oc my 1911. It is a good idea to carry in the outdoors. You never know what you might run into.....

Ruger Redhawk 5.5" 44 Mag

My woods gun is my Redhawk 5.5" in 44 mag. No particular reason other than I really like the gun - bought it used and it tolerates a lot of being dragged through the brush without getting banged up. It is also a gun I shoot well and have some nice loads worked up for it.

Oh, and it'll resolve, with authority, most any situation requiring the use of a sidearm ;-)

Back in the Days !!

Before I got married my camping was backpacking 3-5 days ! Got married it became a camp ground ,TV & electric skillet SUCKS ! But when I did backpack it was a 357 ,158 gr.or higher ! Till I moved to Montana and seen fresh Grizzer tracks and then changed my flavor to 44 mag !!!

I have always carried a .45LC Colt when hunting in my native state of Colorado. We had an encounter once with a Wolverine, it took 4 well placed .45LC's to kill the darned thing... I fear those Tazmanian Devils more than I do an old Grizzly boar!!! Thank the Lord NC doesn't have any of them running around... :fie:

At camp, or when camping I always have my EDC, Kimber 1911 in 45 ACP on me, an LCP in my pocket as well. If I'm going deeper into the woods or any place like Alaska, I'll have my Ruger Alaskan, 480 Ruger in a Blackhill's Leather holster.

My wife and I are avid backpackers. I carry the same firearm I carry every day, simply because it is the one I am the most accurate and familiar with. It's my Taurus PT-1911.

In fact, growing up in Colorado, while hunting, backpacking, or just plain camping, I carried (or had access to) my dad's 1911.

While camping in a campground, I still carry the 1911 and usually have my Winchester 30-30 lever in the truck. I seem to have more run ins with bears at campgrounds than I ever have when I'm backpacking.

Hunting, its the same gun, the good ole 1911, well, as a defensive firearm... I think hunting with the 1911 would be a bit difficult... I don't know if I could get a deer or elk in that close... Hmmmm... Something to try this year? NOT!

Bleh, I usually just take my Marlin .22 bolt action rifle and my M&P 40, dont have a whole lot here unless you go further north where the bears become a little more abundant, especially in the U.P. either way, always safer than sorry. Couple years ago, I was in Rose City, [population like 250] small hunters town, saw a guy around bear season, had one stretched out on his trailor....Wow, Huge. Had to have been 700lbs easy, Pepper spray wouldnt have messed with that thing too much, gotta be prepared, always!

camping trip

i like to carry my 5906 9 mil double stack (smith and wessen) its been so reliable ,it has never let me down .i bought it the early 90's in california when the gun had the double stacks,now you cant buy it with a 15 rounds,if california dosnt get a grip on the gun laws out here we are going to be in a lots of trouble.if you want to opencarry in california the politions are putting so many hole in gun rights i feal that i am eatting swis-cheese .when the drug dealers have more rights than we do ,we are in trouble

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back