What do you think of lasers?

Zoomie72

I'm thinking of buying a S&W Bodyguard 38 Revolver which has a built in laser sight. Are laser sights like Crimson Trace worth having?

I'm thinking of buying a S&W Bodyguard 38 Revolver which has a built in laser sight. Are laser sights like Crimson Trace worth having?

I have the same thing. Never shot it, but the laser on it seems a little better than the LaserMax. I think that lasers are a plus, but not to be dependent on.

Lasers are great for any gun you would be using in the dark. My problem with them is that I see too many people become dependent on them rather than developing solid fundamentals. On the one gun that I have with a laser, I check the zero in it about once a month but I don't train with it. I prefer to spend my range time working on skills.

Lasers are great for any gun you would be using in the dark. My problem with them is that I see too many people become dependent on them rather than developing solid fundamentals. On the one gun that I have with a laser, I check the zero in it about once a month but I don't train with it. I prefer to spend my range time working on skills.

Agreed.........It's a great tool but DON NOT trust it 100%. I have a laser on only one of my pistols just for that reason. It's not as accurate as I had thought and intended and have to as well adjust more often than I figured I would even with it's lack of use. Kind of a disappointment for the amount of money I spent but if it comes into the rotation then maybe the red dot between the bad guys eyes will scare him off. If not I have a Sig with killer night sights that will do what is needed to protect my wife and home. Hone your skills before you spend money on any type of laser as it will give you false confidence!!!!!!

Honestly I never thought of lazers being anything but a exspensive toy, they may have there place and some swear by them, but as has been mentioned they can be a advantage in the dark, maybe, but it also gives whoever your shooting at a better target, and a lot of new shooters do not realize you still need to have the same trigger control or you will pull your shot off, and when at a inside range if several people there have lazers and do not turn them off between reloads and whatever, it is very distracting with red lines wobbling all over the place

Contrary to most, I would not say they are good in the dark - low light perhaps, but a red dot will not help you ensure target identification. They are no substitute for a good flashlight. Putting a couple of rounds into grandma because she was in front of the red dot is not a good thing. In low light or even fair light, they can be good for shooting in unorthodox positions where you can see the target but cannot line up the sights. Not so useful other than that.

Contrary to most, I would not say they are good in the dark - low light perhaps, but a red dot will not help you ensure target identification. They are no substitute for a good flashlight. Putting a couple of rounds into grandma because she was in front of the red dot is not a good thing. In low light or even fair light, they can be good for shooting in unorthodox positions where you can see the target but cannot line up the sights. Not so useful other than that.

I will agree with the part about a unorthodox positions, as for a light, it will do you more good than a lazer, but still gives the BG something to shoot at

I had a laser on my Kel-tek. Interesting but I found no advantage to it. Sights work in all light conditions, laser not so much. Ok, maybe you need to add "special effects" sights but you get my drift. And what if you are caught without your laser sighted weapon? Are you going to put one on all your weapons? If not consistency will be hard to achieve.

Bottom line though is, What ever works for YOU. My opinion was developed by me, for me. I felt it was an unnecessary crutch. I didn't have a laser on all my weapons, perhaps you plan on shooting only weapons so equipped. If so then I see no problem for you.

I have to laugh at myself a bit though because for Christmas I want a SIRT weapon for training. :haha: Still though I will not ever equip another of my weapons with a laser.

Last edited:
Lasers, are very useful, when you can not see your sights. As my prison guard neighbor says, even the worst prisoners become docile when they see a laser dot on their chest. As has been said, anyone with a gun should practice until competent with using regular sights, then continue practicing. A Laser should not be used as a crutch, but could save your life under some circumstances. Those who disparage Lasers out of hand, have not given enough thought to the subject!

Watch the Chrimson Trace video on their web site and that might help you make up your mind. For me, having one on my Bersa Thunder 380 is a great addition for short range self defense where you might be in a situation where you are not be able to get a good sight picture.

I have had lasers and found they are cool toys. I would not use a laser for several reasons. 1. it does not help in target identification and If it is totally dark the only thing that will light your target is a flashlight. You can hold a flashlight at arms length giving you about 2 feet from the light to you, a laser you hold right in front of you.

2. it gives the bad guy a target. That little dot you see on your target, the bad guy sees the same thing at the source of that red dot.

3. Lasers are useless in daylight. They disappear at short distances and at close range you should not need a laser.

I prefer and use nite sights. They glow in the dark, don't need batteries, and can't be seen from the muzzle end, and if you have to buy them as an accessory There cost is much less than lasers.

I just cannot get used to the idea of giving a bad guy any advantage and in my opinion that is what lasers do.

It has been my experience when in the field in the military and while hunting...anything that needs a battery can and will die when you need it most...have a backup plan.

Contrary to most, I would not say they are good in the dark - low light perhaps, but a red dot will not help you ensure target identification. They are no substitute for a good flashlight. Putting a couple of rounds into grandma because she was in front of the red dot is not a good thing.

I've heard that argument a lot of times, but it is amazing how well that little red dot lights up the target, and green lasers even more.

The laser is an excellent training tool. Dry firing, point shooting, the laser allows you to see where you are really pointing the muzzle. If you jerk the trigger, the laser will show that too.
With the 1911, the Crimson Trace laser is blocked b the trigger finger when it is in contact with the slide stop pin, as it should be as a habit until the firing of a shot is decided.
Thus you can point the gun at random targets in your home [with an unloaded gun of course], and when you move your trigger finger to the trigger, you will see how well your muscle memory has targeted the door knob or light switch.
The warning with lasers is that the 5 milliwatt laser can cause eye damage. But it will cause less damage than a 45 230 JHP. In the movies, the red dot on a shirt makes the evil doer stop. But people don't look at their own shirt, they might not realize you have a gun just because you have a laser pointer. But a laser and flashlight will identify your target and the laser will ruin their day or night vision for a few seconds.

The laser is an excellent training tool. Dry firing, point shooting, the laser allows you to see where you are really pointing the muzzle. If you jerk the trigger, the laser will show that too.
With the 1911, the Crimson Trace laser is blocked b the trigger finger when it is in contact with the slide stop pin, as it should be as a habit until the firing of a shot is decided.
Thus you can point the gun at random targets in your home [with an unloaded gun of course], and when you move your trigger finger to the trigger, you will see how well your muscle memory has targeted the door knob or light switch.
The warning with lasers is that the 5 milliwatt laser can cause eye damage. But it will cause less damage than a 45 230 JHP. In the movies, the red dot on a shirt makes the evil doer stop. But people don't look at their own shirt, they might not realize you have a gun just because you have a laser pointer. But a laser and flashlight will identify your target and the laser will ruin their day or night vision for a few seconds.

I normally set my trigger finger along the base of the frame on my 1911s. The first joint of my finger rests right on the front of the trigger guard. It gives me a good solid place for my finger and the laser isn't blocked. My finger naturally assumes this position on the 1911s because it corresponds to its placement on my smaller pistols that I owned and used prior to the purchase of the 1911s.

My home weapon is a Dam Wesson 357 Mag without a laser. I shoot quite well with it. I have Air Force Marksmanship ribbons for the M-16 and the S&W Combat Masterpiece 38 Revolver. I retired from the Air Force during the transition to 9mm. Point being that I won't be relying on the laser in order to shoot accurately. But, it does seem like it would be good for low light situations and odd positions. My thanks for all the input.

I like the Crimson Trace better than the one that comes on the S&W Body Guard. The Body Guard laser has to be turned on before use. The CT laser goes on when you tighten your grip on the pistol. Goes off by relaxing you grip.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back