What are the pros and cons of an ankle holster?

Karsten

I am brand new to concealed carry. Since I normally wear polo or golf type shirts in the office with my shirt tail tucked in, IWB is not practical for me.

I am mostly carrying in a soft leather brief case that contains my Bible, files and notes, and books.

I am thinking towards an ankle holster for a compact .380 or 9mm.

Is there a particular ankle holster you would recommend? What are the pros and cons of an ankle holster?

I have seen some ankle holsters that have a wide velcro strap and some with a small strap that goes high on the calf. What is the significance of the high strap?

I'm in a similar situation when I'm at work. I have one of these: Link Removed
Pros - Completely concealed, secure and comfortable.
Cons - not as easily accessible as I would like, but definitely better than not carrying.

The one I have for my Sig P238 .380 is an Uncle Mike that sounds like the one you are looking at. With mine, I wrap the higher strap just under my knee so the part that hangs down attaches to the velcro on the wider band below. I think it's just to help the holster stay up.

I like this holster but find it really only works for me when I am wearing cowboy boots. (oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I am a girl :) Otherwise it just slides down to my ankle and is not very well concealed there. Also, I have to wear wider boot cut pants or I could not get the pant leg up in time for it to be helpful. Ankle holsters are really only practical, I think, for back up guns, though, because of the gun's general inaccessibility.

I personally where an ankle holster in the same predicament you have.
Pros-
you cant see it if you wear proper pants
dont need to worry about adjusting your shirt or holster
it is another option to carry

Cons-
accessability is lowered
is able to come loose (doesnt matter what holster you have or retention device...its just how it goes )
hard to run
as times goes on it can damage your hips (it is a known fact and my partner, father, retired police officer, had carried his S&W Centennial on his ankle for 15+ years and his hips are uneven)

If this is your only option to carry then go with it. But have you tried a below the waistband holster? High noon holsters and i think Fist-inc make one and it is an IWB but is lower and below the belt line. And also another option depending on your firearm can be an in the pocket holster. Desantis makes one and most guys i know carry in the pocket. It is great because it can be carried this way all year round and no one knows.

An inexpensive option, one that I have done on occasion, is to use an inside belt holster held inside an elastic "sleeve" that comes with the cheap soccer shinguards. Quick access to any ankle system is a pipedream. Also, I often wear shorts in summer, so don't ankle carry often. I usually keep my pistol in my brief case (the section intended for a notebook computer), and simply stick it inside waistband when necessary. I spend a lot of days working in mountains in summer, and open carry most of the time, or in a fanny pack when I want to be discreet.

Carried an ankle holster on the job; Pro: found it to be a great back-up if knocked to the ground. Con: firearm does become heavy on one leg, which does make it unconfortable espcially when chasing someone. My opinion they have their place but I would rather have a COB or Paddle with long tail shirt. My response time is much faster and less conspicuous

I think all the pros and cons have been indicated, but there is one con that was not mentioned.

They can itch when they get sweat, You also need to keep them clean enough or they will smell you a mile away

:) but all and all...if that is all you can use. Good luck and look around you can probably get a nice pancake holster or IWB that can help you conceal better.

also think about the .380 or 9mm you want to carry.

Thin is the key to carrying comfortable. Well that is my opinion.

look at Mitch Rosen, Galco also has a ankle lite.

You might consider making a holster out of a hollowed out Bible.

Not so unrealistic, I just purchased the Hidden Advantage from Galco a Day Planner with a separate area under the day plammer for a firearm (Walther PPS 9mm) and one mag. a bit pricy at $170.00 plus shipping.

Not so unrealistic, I just purchased the Hidden Advantage from Galco a Day Planner with a separate area under the day plammer for a firearm (Walther PPS 9mm) and one mag. a bit pricy at $170.00 plus shipping.

That is very expensive! My stepson made one for each of us for Christmas two years ago and he only used the books he bought at an op shop (Goodwill), used a sharp knife to cut a space in the book to fit your particular gun. With Glue sticks and a carefully cut fabric to line the inside, it was really beautiful and useful. He also carefully chose a book that a particular person will read, e.g., he chose a cookbook for me and an airplane book for his dad. A neighbour got a patriotic book. You gotta be creative and save a bit of money. With the economy right now, I wouldn't mind being called a skint. As I always have a file of books down the floor near my desk, you wouldn't know that my spare gun and spare ammos are with and in it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back