What 308 to get ?

bluetickokie

I've been looking at the M1A , throw out some other 308's for me to look at. a good all-around 308

My FNAR Heavy is my favorite gun. Accurate and fun to shoot. The only downsides I've seen for it are the mags are expensive and heavy and it sucks to take apart and clean. I'ts also been super reliable with even in crappy conditions and with cheap ammo like Tula.

I have the LMT MWS in .308. It is amazing!! It's designed to be a 700-900 yd gun. I have no place around here to test that out, but I'm accurate at 300 yds with iron sights.

You can't go wrong with a Remington 700. Parts are always available so you can customize however you want.

Any of these will shoot .308 ammo if they're chambered in .308. If you're reloading you have to watch your overall length. You might have a problem with rounds fitting magazines.

My vote is for the Scar 17. It is chambered for the 7.62X51 and will also shoot .308. You can shoot any type of ammo but the steel cased ammo is hard on the extractor.

My vote is for the Scar 17. It is chambered for the 7.62X51 and will also shoot .308. You can shoot any type of ammo but the steel cased ammo is hard on the extractor.

You are backwards, you can shoot 762 in a 308 but not 308 in a 762.

From accurateshooter.com

“Are the .308 Winchester and 7.62×51 NATO one and the same?” The simple answer is no. There are differences in chamber specs and maximum pressures. The SAMMI/CIP maximum pressure for the .308 Win cartridge is 62,000 psi, while the 7.62×51 max is 50,000 psi. Also, the headspace is slightly different. The .308 Win “Go Gauge” is 1.630″ vs. 1.635″ for the 7.62×51. The .308′s “No-Go” dimension is 1.634″ vs. 1.6405″ for a 7.62×51 “No Go” gauge. That said, it is normally fine to shoot quality 7.62×51 NATO ammo in a gun chambered for the .308 Winchester (though not all NATO ammo is identical). Clint McKee of Fulton Armory notes: “[N]obody makes 7.62mm (NATO) ammo that isn’t to the .308 ‘headspace’ dimension spec. So 7.62mm ammo fits nicely into .308 chambers, as a rule.” You CAN encounter problems going the other way, however. A commercial .308 Win round can exceed the max rated pressure for the 7.62×51. So, you should avoid putting full-power .308 Win rounds into military surplus rifles that have been designed for 50,000 psi max.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Which one's will use any 308 ammo ? I wrote down the ones post so far and looking them up. Thanks for the help

The LMT MWS uses both .308 or 7.62x51. Also, if you choose to use any similar round, close in size to the .308, the LMT will allow you to screw on a new barrel (they provide the torque wrench and socket to do it yourself) and now it is chambered for that caliber. This option is also available to swap out different length barrels if you'd like. Caliber barrels that you can screw in are: .243, .260, 6.5mm, 7mm-08, or .338.

This is why the MWS moniker. It stands for modular weapon system. I love mine.

I've been saving up for a scar 17...but now I'm thinking I'll go for the colt le901 and get a dedicated .22, 5.56, 300blk uppers for it for just a little bit more than a single scar 17.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

The manufacturer states in there manual.
"The SCAR 17S is designed to operate with NATO spec 7.62X51mm ammunition (308 Win.)
The barrel and action of this rifle have been made with substantial safety margins over the pressures developed by established American loads. However we assume no responsibility for incidents which occur through the use of cartridges of nonstandard dimension or those developing pressures in excess of SAAMI established standards."

On one hand they include "(308 Win.)" and "substantial safety margins" and on the other hand they assume no responsibility.
If you read through the FN,s forum you will see that many of the SCAR 17 owners shoot both 7.62X51 and 308 Win. with no ill effects. The only caution I have read is to stay away from reloads and steel case ammunition. I do not know what pressures are developed by the M118LR and the MK316 but they are also fired through the SCAR on a regular basis.

Here is mine.
Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD, DNZ Tactical-Remington 700 LA-1" Scope Tube-RH-High Mount, VISM VSFDR1042G 10X42 Vantage Series scope, YHM 7.62 Phantom Stainless QD suppressor.
Link RemovedLink Removed

Here is mine.
Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD, DNZ Tactical-Remington 700 LA-1" Scope Tube-RH-High Mount, VISM VSFDR1042G 10X42 Vantage Series scope, YHM 7.62 Phantom Stainless QD suppressor.
Link RemovedLink Removed
+1 to the SPS!!
Here's mine :)
null_zps6ecba28f.jpg

Savage M-11 with adjustable trigger...

Sent from my phone (which explains all the typos), using the USACARRY app.

A backup copy of this message may be found at Ft. Meade, Md. on the NSA's servers.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back