Was it the music or the shotgun that caused Dunn to shoot Jordan?

nogods

That's basically what a jury has to decide in the case of Michael Dun this week - did he shoot Jordan because he was fearful of great bodily harm (supposedly from what he thought was a shotgun) or because he hates rap music?

We can only let the jury decide, but Dunn has highlighted how what one says may impact on what the jury thinks:

Letters by Dunn from jail released this week by the State’s Attorney’s Office reveal disturbing racial animus.

In a letter to an unknown recipient highlighted by Jacksonville’s WTEV, he writes:

It’s spooky how racist everyone is up here and how biased toward blacks the courts are. This jail is full of blacks and they all act like thugs. … This may sound a bit radical but if more people would arm themselves and kill these **** idiots when they’re threatening you, eventually they may take the hint and change their behavior.

In another letter to his girlfriend highlighted by HLNtv, he writes:

I just got off the phone with you and we were talking about how racist the blacks are up here. The more time I am exposed to these people, the more prejudiced against them I become.

And in another to his grandmother, he says:

I’m not really prejudiced against race, but I have no use for certain cultures. This gangster-rap, ghetto talking thug ‘culture’ that certain segments of society flock to is intolerable.

He must be driving his lawyer insane.

The Jury should never see the letters.
And, I understand disliking a set of behaviors. When the word "Thug" is used my mind instantly draws the picture, and I don't like the picture.

Well, it's State Attorney Angela Corey at work again. She got away with a bunch of things in the Zimmerman trial. Here we go again. It looks like she found her match with Judge Russell Healey: Link Removed

Here's what Dunn's attorney told the jury:

"God didn't make all men equal. Colt did. Colt is a firearm," Strolla said. "(Dunn) had every right under the law to not be a victim, to be judged by 12 rather than carried by six."

Personally I wouldn't have made any mention of god or equality or the judged by 12 swagger. Sounds to Wyatt Earp to me.

I want the jury to focus on the holes in the prosecution's case. I don't think the jury will acquit because "God didn't make all men equal. Colt did."

Self defense? Fear? Give me a break, he's a murderer. 3 shots in under 1 second, a two second pause, 4 more shots in about a second, a five second pause and then 3 more shots as they were trying to flee. He shot at a fleeing car with four kids who did nothing to him? Jury hung on 1s degree murder charge. Guilty on 3 counts of attempted murder. Each count carries a mandatory minimum 20-year sentence.

As soon as I heard that Dunn left the scene, did not call the police and kindly went on his day like it was the old west, I knew he was guilty of being an idiot. As of today he is guilty of attempted murder times 3. In Florida it is a minimum and mandatory 20 year sentence for each of those charges he was convicted of. So Dunn will never see freedom again. I am no lawyer but Dunn may of had a better chance of winning if he would of stayed on the scene and called the police. (Note to self, if I shoot someone or into a vehicle full of people, call 911 and get a good lawyer)

Howdy,

He should have left and found a different c-store.

On a different note: LEOs shoot at moving vehicles ALL the time, even fleeing vehicles, but justify it by "claiming" the fleeing vehicle was a deadly weapon.

Dunn = dumbass

Paul

As soon as I heard that Dunn left the scene, did not call the police and kindly went on his day like it was the old west, I knew he was guilty of being an idiot. As of today he is guilty of attempted murder times 3. In Florida it is a minimum and mandatory 20 year sentence for each of those charges he was convicted of. So Dunn will never see freedom again. I am no lawyer but Dunn may of had a better chance of winning if he would of stayed on the scene and called the police. (Note to self, if I shoot someone or into a vehicle full of people, call 911 and get a good lawyer)

agreed on all, however those who claim that there was absolutely no justification for the confrontation are all wet.

Simply disregarding the truth does make it go away. I have no idea whether the guy did it or not. But I do agree that the vast majority of blacks are racist. Does that make me racist because I happen to see black racism on a daily basis and read about it on a daily basis?

We are a nation of laws and, in at least Ohio, one of those laws says that as long as you’re under the influence of drugs or alcohol you no longer have a permit to conceal carry. Now, I’m not suggesting that a person doesn’t have a right to defend themselves after they’ve had a few drinks, but I will argue that a straight line function exist between a person drinking more alcohol leads to that person making more bad decisions. Looking at the laundry list of bad decisions made in this case, I cannot believe that alcohol did not play a factor. Furthermore, I contend that if the shooter was under the influence of alcohol, and as so, he had followed the law requiring him to unload and store his weapon before he started drinking, then now we would not have one dead teenager and one middle-aged man on his way to prison for the rest of his life.

Everyone who remembers my posts on here in the aftermath of the Zimmerman verdict knows that I am no fan of Zimmerman, but, unlike Dunn, at least Zimmerman stayed at the scene until police arrived. What innocent person would leave the scene, not call police, and go about his day the way this guy did? As for the mistrial on the murder charge, I can't help but wonder if he'll get retried for that one.

The lesson to learn...
Was it worth it to run his mouth about something as trivial as loud music for the few minutes he was subjected to it? Keep your mouth shut. Mind your own business. If you feel the need to bang every jerk on the head you'll spend your entire life doing it. If you ignore this advice then the biggest troublemaker you'll ever know is the guy staring back in the mirror.

The lesson to learn...
Was it worth it to run his mouth about something as trivial as loud music for the few minutes he was subjected to it? Keep your mouth shut. Mind your own business. If you feel the need to bang every jerk on the head you'll spend your entire life doing it. If you ignore this advice then the biggest troublemaker you'll ever know is the guy staring back in the mirror.

maybe if the kid wouldn't have threatened to kill the man he wouldn't have been shot to death.
there are 2 sides to this and now because of a drunken guy and a stupid loud mouth "tough guy' there are now also only losers. dunn will rot in jail and the kid is dead.
the lesson for gun carriers is when carrying don't go looking for troubles like dunn or the popcorn guy did and if you are asked to stop being so obnoxious instead of going hard on them shut up and go away. this way idiocy won't prevail.

Dunn's lawyer told the jury that Dunn would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6. He got his wish. The problem is that an innocent victim got carried by 6 in the process.

I wonder if he'll be a big talker in jail.

maybe if the kid wouldn't have threatened to kill the man he wouldn't have been shot to death.
there are 2 sides to this and now because of a drunken guy and a stupid loud mouth "tough guy' there are now also only losers. dunn will rot in jail and the kid is dead.
the lesson for gun carriers is when carrying don't go looking for troubles like dunn or the popcorn guy did and if you are asked to stop being so obnoxious instead of going hard on them shut up and go away. this way idiocy won't prevail.

There's what's legal and there's what's smart. The first rules of PP are awareness, avoidance, deterrence, de-escalation and withdrawal. You don't smartass someone because it gets a response. And if the response is a verbal threat that's just not enough. I hope this guy rots in prison. He gives a bad name to guns and SYG. Just like the other imbecile Zimmerman. These guys can't help but involve themselves. There's no proof anyone told Dunn they would kill him. There was no testimony to that effect by any witness. So... for all intensive purposes it didn't happen. In my 50 years on this Earth you know how many people threatened to kill me? Probably in the hundreds. I'm still alive and so are they. It's simply not enough even if its true.

. He gives a bad name to guns and SYG. Just like the other imbecile Zimmerman.
I hate to inform you but neither case were SYG cases, keep believing what the NY times tells you to believe.
These guys can't help but involve themselves.
if you see a stranger in front of your home you are just going whistle as you walk by?
There's no proof anyone told Dunn they would kill him. There was no testimony to that effect by any witness.
dunn's testimony gets no weight?
So... for all intensive purposes it didn't happen.
so if a tree falls in the forest.....

In my 50 years on this Earth you know how many people threatened to kill me? Probably in the hundreds. I'm still alive and so are they. It's simply not enough even if its true.

you must have that magic personality, I don't know too many people who gave been threatened with death by hundreds of people. SMH

I think the comparisons to this case and Zimmerman are way out of line. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the prudence of following a suspicious person through a neighborhood, GZ did nothing illegal by doing that. He came out of that neighborhood with very clear evidence of having been physically attacked. SYG has nothing to do with being on your back, fully mounted and having your head beat against a concrete sidewalk. At that point, it is plain ol' self defense, and a jury believed that and acquitted GZ. SYG never came into the trial, only pushed as an anti-gun meme in leftist media throughout the rest of the country.

As to the "weight" of Dunn's testimony, the claim of him seeing a shotgun was at best a wash with the jury because his girlfriend testified that he never said anything about that in the many hours after the shooting before he turned himself in. The first mention to anybody who testified of a shotgun was in the first interview of Dunn in the cop-shop. Self-serving utterances by defendants that are uncorroborated by either other witness testimony or physical evidence is routinely rejected by juries. Besides, three survivors of the shooting who also testified that there was no shotgun in their vehicle, well, their testimony has at least three times as much "weight" as Dunn's assuming that their denials of the shotgun being present were also self-serving utterances. Combined with Dunn's girlfriend's testimony though, it seems more like the truth than a "weightless" self-serving utterance.

The guy should have been convicted of Murder 1. How could he have been convicted of Attempted Murder for the three occupants that he didn't hit, but get a hung jury for the Murder 1 charge on the guy he fired at, hit, and killed? That jury was full of cowards, and the aggregate of their verdict is completely and illogically inconsistent.

Blues

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back