Wanted: Your two cents'

tmhouseknecht

I am completely new to the world of CCW. I was just issued my CCW permit here in PA. I have been scowering the internet and reading anything I can read regarding CCW from tips for carrying to laws relating to the subject.

So the time has come for me to decide which firearm I am going to carry. I have it narrowed down to three guns. I would like your opinions on each as a viable carry gun.

1. Px4 Storm subcompact (9mm- I am leaning towards this firearm.)
2. Glock 26.
3. Kahr PM9.

If you had to choose one of these firearms to carry which would it be? and why? Also, perhaps you would choose a gun not of this list?

I have had the opportunity to hold each and get an idea of their ergonomics, and I like the way the Px4 feels the best. However, I think it is safe to say that the Px4 is the largest of the three.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I realize alot of this can come down to preference but I would still appreciate your opinion on the matter.

On a side note when I applied for my CCW permit at the local sheriffs office one of the first basic questions the clerk asked me besides if I was 21 and such was "Are you in school". I assume she meant college because most 21 year olds' are not in high school. Why would it matter if I was in school. I understand that most (if not all) university's would not allow you to carry on campus but it still makes me wonder.

Thanks again!
Tyler.

Tyler, You picked some quality weapons. Probably the one you "feel" the best with is the one you will be most comfortable with. I would not only hold them, but SHOOT them as well. Find a shop you can rent them at and spend the $$. You want to make sure they shoot like you think they will. Many shops will work a deal if you buy the gun from them. I like your first two choices best. Glocks have a huge following and you will get a lot of nods for them. All three with conceal well with the correct clothing, holster and a GOOD belt. (Not a Wally World belt.)

I am 5' 10" 225 and carry a FS 1911 IWB in a Crossbreed Holster.

Keep researching and TRAIN often! Get beyond the CCW class and find some additional training classes from reputable people. (Ask a couple of different gun shops and as the same names come up, go to them first.)

I don't want to sound like I am telling you everything. I know others will chime in shortly!

Good luck and welcome to USA Carry!

3 great handguns from 3 great companies. i would say it comes down to aesthetics and ergonomics, whatever you think looks best and feels best in your hand. IMHO i would go with the Px4. off the list i would suggest a compact 1911 from any of the quality brands, just because of the stopping power and single action.

the only reason i can think of for the school question is the amount of shootings that happen in them. otherwise idk why they would ask.

Thanks for the quick replies. I do like the 1911's and they are worth consideration. On another note I don't feel concealing should be an issue. I am 6'2" 240 so I have a large frame. I do realize concealing is an art and takes time to perfect to avoid "printing" and so on. I am leaning towards IWB holsters for most situations. This holster seems amazing. What do you think?

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MTUQwzXv8lM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, I know the drastic change in volume and obvious card reading can be annoying but the product looks solid.

I had 2 pennies,but I hid them for fear that the liberal democrats or the president was gonna try and steal 'em... So I'll just offer my opinion...

Have you had the chance not only to handle, but shoot any or all of them? Need to feel the recoil and the way it handles under firing conditions. If you plan to carry it for taking care of business you had best make sure you can take care of business with it should the need arise... Shoot 'em all...

Are you looking for really concealed and comfortable carry? If so the Kahr PM9 is a great choice... The recoil is not all that bad for the size..

Again, try 'em all under firing conditions and also in a holster in the manner you will use for carry. It will spend more time in the holster on you than in hand under use...

Good luck..

Also consider the Smith and Wesson m&p series. I carry the full size 357 sig iwb. I'm thinking of getting the 9mm compact,as well.

Personally I prefer the Glock, but the best advice has already been give. Shoot all three if you can find a range that you can rent them. Ultimately you need to choose what feels best in your hand what you are most comfortable with.

If I had to choose from the 3, I'd go with the 26. It will be the least snappiest of the bunch and in the most accurate realm.

I prefer the next size up from the micro pocket 9's.

Not sure what your need is, but the Kahr P9 is very thin, and very light but still feels like a gun. Good luck either way.

PS. I carry the Kahr P45 or the Walther PPQ daily

I carry a Kel-Tec PF9 or Ruger LCP or a Walther P22 on the days I prefer to carry no guns

There is no correct choice. Whichever pistol you choose it will be the best choice you could make as well as the worst choice you could make.

Every pistol is a compromise.

If there we're a perfect choice there would only be one Pistol on the market and it would be called "The Pistol."

The key to making the right choice for yourself and only for yourself is to make a decision you can live with.

You're gonna carry this Pistol every day for the next 20 or more years. (Unless you buy something else along the way).

So ask yourself: "if the **** hits the fan will I be glad I have this Pistol or will I be wishing I made another choice?"

When you answer that question you'll know you made the right choice.

Also consider the Smith and Wesson m&p series. I carry the full size 357 sig iwb. I'm thinking of getting the 9mm compact,as well.

Link Removed

Ah yes, the M&P is also a great choice.. I have 2... Able to carry the M&P45 IWB with the CrossBreed SuperTuck...

Thank you all for your replies! I know I have to live with my choice but it just seems the Px4 sub has quite a few great features for the size- single and double action, the decocker lever, and tac rail.

Plus I have a 92fs which I have put a thousand or so rounds through at a range. From my understanding people say they handle similarly. Also I know.. 92fs- love it or hate it.

Thank you all for your replies! I know I have to live with my choice but it just seems the Px4 sub has quite a few great features for the size- single and double action, the decocker lever, and tac rail.

Plus I have a 92fs which I have put a thousand or so rounds through at a range. From my understanding people say they handle similarly. Also I know.. 92fs- love it or hate it.

Also have a 92FS... Love it... Kinda too large for concealed carry in the warm months... I prefer it for shooting tight groups at the range...

I wanted to help you the best for I can. I was in the same spot you are in now about a year ago. You do have some awesome pistol on you list, first I want to let you know that I own a P x 4 Storm subcompact. It is extreamly accurate, but a little fat (wide) for my hand and you need the picky extension on the mag for it to fit you hand. It is also a bit jumpy due to it being so small. I seen one of the other replies recommended a compact 1911, that is what I ended up doing once I could afford it. I carry a Kimber Raptor Ultra II. Now if you want the biggest bang for your buck try a CZ 75 D PDR. New they are around $525, used they are a $425. I am a huge fan of CZ they are priced extreamly reasonably for an awesome accurate pistol. I just added a set of Crimson Trace laser grips to my 75throttle compact, I cannot say enough about good things about these pistols. Between my wife and I we own 7 C's.

I am completely new to the world of CCW. I was just issued my CCW permit here in PA. I have been scowering the internet and reading anything I can read regarding CCW from tips for carrying to laws relating to the subject.

So the time has come for me to decide which firearm I am going to carry. I have it narrowed down to three guns. I would like your opinions on each as a viable carry gun.

1. Px4 Storm subcompact (9mm- I am leaning towards this firearm.)
2. Glock 26.
3. Kahr PM9.

If you had to choose one of these firearms to carry which would it be? and why? Also, perhaps you would choose a gun not of this list?

I have had the opportunity to hold each and get an idea of their ergonomics, and I like the way the Px4 feels the best. However, I think it is safe to say that the Px4 is the largest of the three.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I realize alot of this can come down to preference but I would still appreciate your opinion on the matter.

On a side note when I applied for my CCW permit at the local sheriffs office one of the first basic questions the clerk asked me besides if I was 21 and such was "Are you in school". I assume she meant college because most 21 year olds' are not in high school. Why would it matter if I was in school. I understand that most (if not all) university's would not allow you to carry on campus but it still makes me wonder.

Thanks again!
Tyler.
Before you buy any gun you should try it out to see if its for you. Don't buy what your friend suggest or what your cousin has. Go to a good gun store and try out several types. The guns on your list are good. I have a Glock 27 and I love it. I also have a ruger LC9, ruger LCP and a Ruger 357. Like I said before, shoot a lot of guns before you buy. Guns are expensive and if you're going to spend your hard earned money it makes good sense to spend it on something you can use!!

My wife just picked a ruger sr40c if that helps. She has small hands and it really spoke to her in the grips department. She likes the recoil over the sr9c. Both guns are damn near identical with little exception. We have not explored the 3 on your list however.

I don't like Glocks and not real fond of Beretta so that leaves the Kahr. I've handled them a few times and found them suitable for concealed carry(maybe a little blocky compared to others). I carry a Ruger KP95 or SP101(3 1/16")mostly because I live in an either/or state so peaking/printing is not a problem. Obviously, I prefer a larger gun than the subcompacts. I'm 60ish and retired so I don't have to "fit in" with a specific type of attire. I carried a Browning HiPower for years until I got tired of people who noticed it when open carried asking"if I knew my pistol was cocked".

Well, without trying to persuade you to this gun and that gun, all those are great choices. I would go with the one you can afford, fits your hand, and functions well for you. Another thing to consider is, the method you plan to use to conceal. If you want to conceal in your pocket, IWB holster, OWB holster, or what have you, will make a difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back