Veterans/Military "sign in" honor list

..I remember my father telling me that the USAF was formed right after WW2 and to do it they recruited from the Army, Navy, and Marines to form a new hybrid armed force...
Not exactly. They just renamed the Army Air Force into the US Air Force, part of the National Security Act of 1947. Most of the personnel/assets were already there, so there wasn't much recruitment of new people. Mainly the only recruitment necessary was in logistics and base infrastructure. They had all that, but there were some areas where the Air Force had to 'expand' by creating their own independent organizations in that reagrd to split off from the Army.

Not exactly. They just renamed the Army Air Force into the US Air Force, part of the National Security Act of 1947. Most of the personnel/assets were already there, so there wasn't much recruitment of new people. Mainly the only recruitment necessary was in logistics and base infrastructure. They had all that, but there were some areas where the Air Force had to 'expand' by creating their own independent organizations in that reagrd to split off from the Army.

The common notion is that the Army Air Corps just changed their name. That much I would agree with.

The reality is somewhat different, I believe.

My dad and my uncle both argued about this all the time.

My uncle was an Army Air Corps bomber pilot over the Pacific.

They loved to argue. You would probably have enjoyed debating with them, Rhino.

US Navy
Years Served '78 - '87
Duty Station: NAS Oceana, USS Eisenhower
Flew A-6 Intruders during the Iran Hostage Crisis and in some of the early crises with Lybia and Lebanon

The common notion is that the Army Air Corps just changed their name. That much I would agree with.

The reality is somewhat different, I believe.

My dad and my uncle both argued about this all the time.

My uncle was an Army Air Corps bomber pilot over the Pacific.

They loved to argue. You would probably have enjoyed debating with them, Rhino.
Yep. Probably.

US Army Reserves 1978-1980
983 Eng BN
Lima Ohio

US Army 1980-1984
C Co. 27th Eng Bn (ABN)
Smoke Bomb Hill
Ft Bragg, NC

I'm seeing these all over the gun forums. I'm the only one thinking these lists may be more dangerous than gun registrations?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back