Very cold weather carry (Single digits)

Artista_co

While discussing cold weather carry an interesting point came up. It was quite cold, (single digits) and while discussing carry guns, my friend said that when it gets that cold, he always reverts to a revolver. The reason being that the action on a semi slows when you are shooting in that cold of weather. I have not tested his theory, but I suppose it makes some sense - he suggested that I shoot sometime in those conditions and see the difference in action speed. It might be moot because my holster is almost always an IWB, and my body heat keeps the gun from getting that cold.

Aside from the general reliability of revolver arguments, any thoughts?

Haven't heard that before. But if true nothing to worry about in Florida. Were I live it had been below 32 degrees 3 times this year.

I guess he is using wrong lube also and like you said with IWB body and jacket would keep the gun warm enough.

Last time I shot in near 0° the actions were indeed slower. My .22 rifle would not cycle, nor would one of my magazines fit into the well...it was interesting to say the least.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

I shot my XD40 at minus 9 this year with no noticeable slowdown. I had an opportunity to shoot it at minus 14, but I'm getting old and decided to sleep in.

Wrong lube or build up of crud.
I used to overlube with improper product after gruesome experiences in a jungle environment. Over the last couple of decades, I've become more informed and choose appropriate lubricants for the applications I need.

I use clp...which lube is right? My xds shot fine, but the 238, lcp, sw 9mm, and issc .22 all functioned albeit slow.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

I know of some that when it gets to that kind of cold will use a cold weather motor oil. If you used a 5W motor oil than it would maintain its viscosity better than normal firearm lube.

The same is true if you live in an extremely hot weather environment. You will want a heavier weight oil so it doesn't burn or evaporate away.

Most people will not experience these extremes and have used firearm specific lube. But if you do operate in these extremes, start thinking motor oil used for such extremes.

For long term storage, oil will run off, use a thin film of grease and then clean the gun and lube before you shoot.

Unless you are leaving your weapon stored in the car, garage or outside for an extended period of time, I don't think it's an issue. If you are, a revolver will pose similar problems as an automatic. When outside, my OWB carry keeps my gun at least 90 degrees even in the coldest weather most of you will ever experience.

I really don't think people need to run out and buy special low-temp oil and grease, just carry as usual and you'll be fine. Just try this: Stand outside for a couple of hours while wearing your gun. Before you go back in the house, reach in and touch your gun. I guarantee that it will feel warm to the touch. I've ridden my ATV for miles while carrying in sub-zero temps., and the gun stays warm.

If you feel like worrying about something, pick something more important to worry about.

I don't think anyone is really worried. I've been in cold where my spit crackled before it hit the ground. The lubrication on your firearm will definitely be affected by that. Your firearm will not be 90 degrees much longer once you take it out of the holster.

Hence these two lines:

Most people will not experience these extremes and have used firearm specific lube. But if you do operate in these extremes, start thinking motor oil used for such extremes.

While discussing cold weather carry an interesting point came up. It was quite cold, (single digits) and while discussing carry guns, my friend said that when it gets that cold, he always reverts to a revolver. The reason being that the action on a semi slows when you are shooting in that cold of weather. I have not tested his theory, but I suppose it makes some sense - he suggested that I shoot sometime in those conditions and see the difference in action speed. It might be moot because my holster is almost always an IWB, and my body heat keeps the gun from getting that cold.

Aside from the general reliability of revolver arguments, any thoughts?

I live in Minnesota and I know even with all of the below zero weather we have been having my gun is always warm to the touch in my iwb holster when I get home, I don't think col weather is much of an issue with iwb carry.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back