use of a dog?

dojoman

CHEMUNG COUNTY, N.Y. -- Elmira police are looking for two men who they say attempted to rob a homeowner in the city. Police say they were called to investigate a report of a shooting on Columbia Street around 8 p.m. Wednesday. When they arrived, police say they learned that two men rang a homeowner's doorbell and attempted to rob the house.

They say the homeowner's dog then chased the two men away. One of the suspects was armed with a handgun and fired one shot at the dog. The dog was not injured.

Elmira Police are continuing to investigate the incident and ask that anyone with information call them

I am seeing home invasions on the rise in Onondaga County. I'm not shock sadly, and been tellin my close friends for bout two years now that this would happen. Naturally they all said I was crazy but now they believe me. Sad its come to this level but thank god we have the 2nd. And ppl can say what they want bout our handgun laws n permits but st least its not Nazi City, I mean NYC or DC or IL. Keep you eyes open fello Americans....this ride is only gonna get worse bc it gets better

Just to throw some fact out their for ur story. Dog r the #1 deterrent in home invasion. All u need is a dog that barks . Though I would have a big one with a good bark that was breed for bodyguard work or guarding an estate. Remember turner and houch the movie . That was a french massif they r the best at guarding estates (I.e. ur home) will I went off track there . But great story.

We have 4 dogs. Two are small "ankle biter" variety. Not much protection there. The other two however are. The are south african boerboels, they are 130-140 lbs each. One male, one female. The male's bark can be heard by the surrounding neighbors even if he is inside. The female's bark is not so profound, but she is none the less a prolific protector. The male most definately is the dominant protector of the house, (well besides me and my firearms, lol) unless you shoot him, I can guarantee that you will not enter the house. Just a bit of info backing the the #1 deterrent statement. Both the big dogs are very loving, caring and great dogs. Anyone looking into a dog for protection for you house and property, I strongly suggest you look into the breed. They do not come cheap, but for the kind of loyalty, protection, love and companionship the dogs give, it is worth it. In my life I have had or been around most every common "protective" dog. This breed surpasses them in my opinion. Not that other breeds aren't great dogs to have, this breed has sold me on them. I will not have any other full size breed ever again.

My (now 4 years old) Chessie scared away a burgler (I assume) one time that I know of. Locks were jimmied when we got home, had to break in ourselves thanks to the perp ruining my locks.

Now I have 2 Chessies.

Dogs are a great first line of defense. Most burglars will leave upon hearing a dog bark but those intent on harming you will just shoot the dog. A dog does give us time to retreat to a safe room and arm ourselves.

Oh I agree dogs are amazing to have, wish I could own one but my townhome is too small and no land for the dog to Rome. But there has been many other articles on home invasions out here, not Shockin to me at all. Sad but not a shock. Stay safe fellows

There r dogs that need very little area to Rome. Just a walk will do them fine off the top of my head bulldog. A little research on the internet u will find alot more. Yes dogs can make good bullet sponges for a retreats or getting better prepared.

We have 4 dogs. Two are small "ankle biter" variety. Not much protection there. The other two however are. The are south african boerboels, they are 130-140 lbs each. One male, one female. The male's bark can be heard by the surrounding neighbors even if he is inside. The female's bark is not so profound, but she is none the less a prolific protector. The male most definately is the dominant protector of the house, (well besides me and my firearms, lol) unless you shoot him, I can guarantee that you will not enter the house. Just a bit of info backing the the #1 deterrent statement. Both the big dogs are very loving, caring and great dogs. Anyone looking into a dog for protection for you house and property, I strongly suggest you look into the breed. They do not come cheap, but for the kind of loyalty, protection, love and companionship the dogs give, it is worth it. In my life I have had or been around most every common "protective" dog. This breed surpasses them in my opinion. Not that other breeds aren't great dogs to have, this breed has sold me on them. I will not have any other full size breed ever again.

I've been a big APBT fan for years! Ever since I began my involvement to pitbull rescue. But, I can definitely see me with this breed. Do you know where they rank on the "dangerous" breeds list? (I'm just to lazy to look it up right now.)

How is their temperment around a house full of kids yelling, screaming & wrestling?

I sometimes have 5-7 kids running all around my house. They range from 5-18 and my dogs love playing with ALL of them. That's what really made me love the APBT; how they play with the WHOLE neighborhood of kids. Yet, they are fantastic PP dogs that also show they have a great deal of good common sense!

The "only" drawback to the APBT is "travel" and taking them out in public where all the sheeple are terrified just by having one look their way. I really wearing down and think my two current APBTs may be my last.

-

My ankle biter gives me PLENTY of protection. He may only be twenty pounds, but he's twenty pounds of fury, and if the bullets start flying, I'm covering him. He's my partner and my best friend. He'd do the same for me if he could.

Pit bulls r not post to be or breed to be human aggressive. Cocker spaniels number 1 on the biting humans list. Labs are number 2 I can't remember the rest. Pit bulls Are not hi on the list its more of how u rase them

Pit bulls r not post to be or breed to be human aggressive. Cocker spaniels number 1 on the biting humans list. Labs are number 2 I can't remember the rest. Pit bulls Are not hi on the list its more of how u rase them

You absolutely correct blackdog.

Pitbulls are way down on the list of dogs most likely to bite. I think last I checked they were around #72. But, they are #1 on the "Most Dangerous Breeds" list because they have been responsible for so many fatalities. Unfortunately, when they are raised by irresponsible owners, they can to great damage; or even KILL when they do bite.

I've spent the better part of the last 30yrs rehabilitating such dogs. IMHO; they are the most loyal & easily trained breed of any dog I've worked with in my 40+ years of training & rehab. I would love to keep doing "pitbull" rescue & rehab. But, I'm getting old, tired & worn out because of some health issues.

We also plan on getting an RV soon & traveling across the country for an extended period of time while I'm still able. I've discovered that most hotels and/or campgrounds will not accept dogs listed on the "Most Dangerous Breeds" list.

It's VERY unfortunate; and it totally SUCKS! But, I've come to realize it's a reality I must live with in a "sheeple" led society.

-

Funny dog story...

I was getting ready to go running and walked to the road to check the mail. A Benz came down my quiet country road at high speed. I motioned for him to slow down. He jammed the brakes and started carrying on. He told me he would be back to settle things after he dropped off his kid. I advised him to not return.

A while later I was sitting on the porch steps tying my running shoes when he came rolling down the driveway. He got out all brave and full of animated bravado. A little muscle-headed guy. I asked him to leave but he continued. I pressed the garage door opener releasing my GSD. I told the punk "I asked you to leave and you wouldn't. Now Say hello to my daughter. Stay put until the police arrive." The dog held him at his car door for about five minutes until the police arrived. The LEO laughed his pants off to see this dog sitting attentively about a foot from the punk. Any movement would have brought the bite. He was scared to even flynch. The LEO advised him I wouldn't press charges and that he should regard this as a learning experience.

You absolutely correct blackdog.

Pitbulls are way down on the list of dogs most likely to bite. I think last I checked they were around #72. But, they are #1 on the "Most Dangerous Breeds" list because they have been responsible for so many fatalities. Unfortunately, when they are raised by irresponsible owners, they can to great damage; or even KILL when they do bite.

I've spent the better part of the last 30yrs rehabilitating such dogs. IMHO; they are the most loyal & easily trained breed of any dog I've worked with in my 40+ years of training & rehab. I would love to keep doing "pitbull" rescue & rehab. But, I'm getting old, tired & worn out because of some health issues.

We also plan on getting an RV soon & traveling across the country for an extended period of time while I'm still able. I've discovered that most hotels and/or campgrounds will not accept dogs listed on the "Most Dangerous Breeds" list.

It's VERY unfortunate; and it totally SUCKS! But, I've come to realize it's a reality I must live with in a "sheeple" led society.

-

While they may be low on the bite occurance list, they are on the top of the "Human Death by Dog" list. Just sayin...

Mostly, I believe, a dog is the product of its environment. Yea, the breed plays a roll but any dog can be viscious. Even ankle biters. They just cant inflict the same damage. I have enjoyed the company of a few pits over the years. None were mine though.

We have two cattle dogs. They bark every time a grasshopper farts. Funny thing is you can usually tell when they are just casually barking but their tone really changes when they see something that should not be there. A great alarm system if you ask me. I usually investigate with my 870 in hand if their barking continues for more than a minute. Usually it's just a deer passing through.

I've never seen Labs as being anywhere close to high on any list of biters. I tried to look up lists, found several with differences and none that I found listed Labs and while Cocker Spaniels were on some of the lists, no one listed the first.

Top Biting Dog Breeds
Doggy Doggie Dog :: Top Biting Dog :: August :: 2008
Top 10 Dog Breeds
Top Biting Dog Breeds
Top 7 Dangerous Dog Breeds | PropertyCasualty360
Link Removed
10 Most Aggressive Dog Breeds | eHow.com
Link Removed
I have to backtrack, I did find a list that had labs on it in Florida.
Link Removed

Just to throw some fact out their for ur story. Dog r the #1 deterrent in home invasion. All u need is a dog that barks . Though I would have a big one with a good bark that was breed for bodyguard work or guarding an estate. Remember turner and houch the movie . That was a french massif they r the best at guarding estates (I.e. ur home) will I went off track there . But great story.

We have dogs. 5 of them. Ironically the smallest one has the loudest bark. Go figure!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back