Undersized Gunbuster signs at banks

tricolordad

Banned
This has probably been beat to death, but...can anybody cite a source that shows whether or not a sign banning weapons that does NOT meet the 5x7 inch requirement on a Credit Union/Bank have the force of law behind it in Wisconsin?

Is there anybody that knows of a financial institution in or near St Croix County WI that doesn't ban me from carrying even a knife? (do not say walmart...lolz)

This has probably been beat to death, but...can anybody cite a source that shows whether or not a sign banning weapons that does NOT meet the 5x7 inch requirement on a Credit Union/Bank have the force of law behind it in Wisconsin?

I'd suggest that you check the WI laws to make sure. In Texas (where I live) there is an exact wording and size of lettering for those specified signs written in the law; if the sign doesn't meet specs, it has no force of law.

In Alaska the law says it is legal to put up the sign. State statutes make no mention of any requirement to respect that sign therefore it holds no legal significance. You really need to read all the gun laws of your State. Not only do you need to find the answer to this question but to the ones you didn't know to ask.

i usually go through the drive through at my bank but today i walked in because i didn't have a deposit slip with me and just to see also if there were any new changes being they recently changed the name of the bank and the security guard that usually stands out back was not there......i was carrying and looked for a no gun sign ..i didn't see one so i went in and probably printed whilst lifting my checks up to the new raised teller stations.. which is now fully encased in really think what looked like plexiglass? so i guess putting up that enclosure was an exchange for hiring the armed security to stand out front ?? i don't know but they not here to protect us but rather their own business which is why we should always carry ......to protect ourselves......
carry on

Here's the WI law:

1. In this paragraph, "sign" means a sign that states a restriction imposed under subd. 2. that is at least 5 inches by 7 inches.
a. For the purposes of sub. (1m) (c) 1m., an owner of a residence that is not a single-family residence has notified an individual not to enter or remain in a part of that building, or on the grounds of that building, while carrying a firearm or with a particular type of firearm if the owner has posted a sign that is located in a prominent place near all of the entrances to the part of the building to which the restriction applies or near all probable access points to the grounds to which the restriction applies and any individual entering the building or the grounds can be reasonably expected to see the sign.

am. For the purposes of sub. (1m) (c) 2., 4., and 5., an owner or occupant of a part of a nonresidential building, the state or a local governmental unit, or a university or a college has notified an individual not to enter or remain in a part of the building while carrying a firearm or with a particular type of firearm if the owner, occupant, state, local governmental unit, university, or college has posted a sign that is located in a prominent place near all of the entrances to the part of the building to which the restriction applies and any individual entering the building can be reasonably expected to see the sign.
b. For the purposes of sub. (1m) (c) 2., an owner or occupant of the grounds of a nonresidential building or of land has notified an individual not to enter or remain on the grounds or land while carrying a firearm or with a particular type of firearm if the owner or occupant has posted a sign that is located in a prominent place near all probable access points to the grounds or land to which the restriction applies and any individual entering the grounds or land can be reasonably expected to see the sign.

In Michigan, there must simply be "reasonable communication" - a sign of any size, notification from an employee, note in an employer handbook (for employees). No specified size or placement. It all is enforceable and will result in a charge of trespass if ignored.

I live in a real small town. We have one bank, one gas station, one market, a Post Office, a cafe, a John Deere dealership, and two cops... one for days, and one for nights. I taught all the bank employees how to shoot. They know that a "no guns" sign of any sort, in Indiana, carries no legal weight whatsoever.

Now and then I will share one of these cards with a "no gun" business.....

no business color.jpg

Here's a couple of links to my FTP site. These files will allow you to print your own cards, with info on the reverse relevant to your State's laws.

Link Removed

Link Removed

Is there anybody that knows of a financial institution in or near St Croix County WI that doesn't ban me from carrying even a knife? (do not say walmart...lolz)

From what I could Google up 943.13 (2) states what you said, 5x7". When laws specifically state a size another not meeting that legal requirement shouldn't be valid. But being in a state that lets signs play police shows you their outlook on gun carrying. I'd find a new place to bank. How can a place ban you from carrying a knife? It in your damn pocket! If WI has a pro gun org, which I would assume it does, join it, report these places and start boycotting them, but LET THEM KNOW why their loosing customers! While people in Anti states think pushing back is stupid, you would be very surprised what taking money away from businesses can do to affect policy!

Hmmm so unless its 5x7 its invalid...

Does that mean the police won't enforce it if I'm found out? I didnt anyways but as i was sitting here with my 2 year old my wife made the what if comment...so I got curious.

If it doesn't meet state req, than it's not valid, HOWEVER the cops can realistically do whatever they want, Shouldn't hold in in court but still sucks to go through that. I would suggest taking a picture of that sign in that situation. You never know how the cops will react in states where they allow signs to play cop. There should never be a time where you are "found out".

tricolordad, according to WI DOJ website the sign must be 5X7". However, if you carry on the premise it is a Class B forfiture. But from what I understand they have to ask you to not carry as it is posted and if you do not abide they can call the police and have you cited. SO, if you carry concealed who the heck will know? As it is CONCEALED. They can also specifiy which weapons are banned. The credit union I belong to does not ban weapons. nor does any other business in town! I guess they just want your money!! Iron County, WI

In Arkansas, Gun signs carry the weight of law. But this is the way they are worded.

(19)
(A) Any place at the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of the place by placing at each entrance to the place a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that “carrying a handgun is prohibited”.
(B) (i) If the place does not have a roadway entrance, there shall be a written notice placed anywhere upon the premises of the place.
(ii) In addition to the requirement of subdivision (19)(B)(i) of this section, there shall be at least one (1) written notice posted within every three (3) acres of a place with no roadway entrance.

Signs with the handgun and circle with line through it are not legal signs.
Now I'm farsighted and can read these signs. I do wonder about nearsighted people thou.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back