Two Different Cities, Same Ol' Police State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next up (or I should say, "Next down and soon-to-be-six-feet-under), Philando Castile after being shot an undetermined number of times (as of this writing) by a Falcon Heights, MN cop yesterday, 7/6/2016. The video appears to be rotated 180° making it appear to be a right-hand drive car. It's apparently an anomaly of either the camera or the site it was being live-streamed to's software, as the video that I saw on the news first thing this morning was turned the right way, but everything on YouTube that came off the live stream looks just like this one. Anyway, here we go, again, graphic and language warnings, and probably NSFW:

Same comments as first post from me - another cold-blooded murder by a cop who will very likely get away with it, or at the most, suffer only minor legal consequences.

I consider the following to be a compelling interview with the mother and uncle of Philando Castile. I just happened upon it while searching for the above video. Some so-called "conservatives" will poo-poo it because the interview was conducted by a CNN on-air (no) personality during a CNN broadcast. Your loss if you don't listen to these grieving and egregiously aggrieved family members of the dead man, for their words cover many important issues, not the least of which is allowing the listener to get to know what kind of man their son/nephew was.

Philando Castile's mom: 'We are being hunted' - CNN Video

Blues

Note that these are two different cases.

Philander Castile was a licensed concealed carrier with no criminal history who was stopped for an allegedly broken tail light. He was shot and killed by the officer while obeying all of the officers commands. Based on the video, there was clearly no way that lethal force was justified. The officer who shot him should be charged.

Alton Sterling was confronted by officers after they arrived to investigate a “man with a gun” call. He was uncooperative and resisted. The officers tried to taser him. While being tackled by the officers, one officer discovered that he had a gun and the other one shot him shortly thereafter while he was still resisting but sort of under control by the officers. Was lethal force was justified? Based on the video, I would say no. The officer who shot him should be charged.

Note that these are two different cases.

Philander Castile was a licensed concealed carrier with no criminal history who was stopped for an allegedly broken tail light. He was shot and killed by the officer while obeying all of the officers commands. Based on the video, there was clearly no way that lethal force was justified. The officer who shot him should be charged.

Alton Sterling was confronted by officers after they arrived to investigate a “man with a gun” call. He was uncooperative and resisted. The officers tried to taser him. While being tackled by the officers, one officer discovered that he had a gun and the other one shot him shortly thereafter while he was still resisting but sort of under control by the officers. Was lethal force was justified? Based on the video, I would say no. The officer who shot him should be charged.

Your bottom line conclusion in both instances supports my bottom line conclusion in the Title of the thread - ie: Same Ol' Police State.

Blues

Your bottom line conclusion in both instances supports my bottom line conclusion in the Title of the thread - ie: Same Ol' Police State.

Blues

Right. I just wanted to make sure to distinguish both events as they involve different facts with the same outcome. I have been reading about both cases today on various blogs and forums, and people seem to confuse both shootings.

Two observations in the Philander Castile case.

The officer had his firearm drawn on a traffic stop. Why? Even if this traffic stop would have concluded without any incident, the officer violated the law by using lethal force where none was warranted. Officer safety is not an excuse to draw a firearm on a non-threat.

Philander Castile notified the officer that he had a carry permit and was armed. MN has no duty to inform, unless explicitly asked by a LEO. So much for informing an officer where not required "to put the officer at ease".

One observation in both cases.

"Comply or I will shoot you" is an illegal use of lethal force by law enforcement when there is no imminent threat. Unfortunately more and more officers use their firearms as compliance devices, forcing them into the situation to shoot someone without legal justification, in many cases under stress and frustration.

IF I was a LEO and with all the CRAP that Black Lives Matter, Sharpton, Jesse and all the rest of the race industry has been spewing I would have my gun out at every traffic stop!

How many cops have to get killed before people start telling Black Lives Matter to stop with all the crap calling for cops to die!!!!

We have to many cop haters on this site!!!

Two LEOs in Dallas were just shot! Wonder what bummer will have to say about them.

Last edited:
IF I was a LEO and with all the CRAP that Black Lives Matter, Sharpton, Jesse and all the rest of the race industry has been spewing I would have my gun out at every traffic stop!

If you were a LEO, you were then just asking for going to jail or getting shot with this type of behavior. Since you are not a LEO, you seem to be OK with a LEO pointing a gun at you while giving you a speeding ticket.

Now, in Dallas, during protests of those two shootings, two police officers have been shot. Shooter is still on the loose. :(

I have to ask' your boyfriend is dying and instead of doing anything at all to stop the bleeding you whip out the cell phone and start a video selfie?

I have to ask' your boyfriend is dying and instead of doing anything at all to stop the bleeding you whip out the cell phone and start a video selfie?

According to Reynolds (the girlfriend), the killer was told before he opened fire that the dying man had a permit and a gun. Aside from being told at least twice by the killer to keep her hands where he could see them during her "selfie video," do you think the killer would've allowed Reynolds to put hands on the dying man knowing that he had a gun somewhere on him? Would you have allowed her, or would she be just as dead as her fiance if she tried that with you?

Two snipers have shot 11 officers in Dallas. Three police officers and one transit officer are dead, three in critical condition. One civilian shot.

Still looking for one shooter.

Well, trying to stop the bleeding may get her shot by the cop as well. She was still obeying the officer's commands. Based on stupid law enforcement SOP, the LEOs did nothing to stop the bleeding and no one was allowed to help either. Also, most people have no clue about trauma assessment and treatment, including most people on this forum. Streaming live to Facebook was probably the smartest thing anyone could have done in this situation.

Which side gets the blame on this one? BLM calling for the murder of cops and now, during a BLM march, two snipers open fire killing three cops and wounding others?
I would say someone took the BLM message to heart and acted upon it. Shouldn't the BLM organizers be held accountable for stirring up violence and getting exactly what they wanted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Should probably start a new thread on this one.
I was thinking about that. But then again, this shows the other side of the story.

If police were "nervous" about traffic stops before, think how they'll feel tomorrow. Cops on edge aren't good for anyone's health.

If you were a LEO, you were then just asking for going to jail or getting shot with this type of behavior. Since you are not a LEO, you seem to be OK with a LEO pointing a gun at you while giving you a speeding ticket.

You say that after 3 LEOs killed in Dallas and 3 in critical condition. It has become open season on LEOs! The race baiters have put a target on the cops and they have a right to protect themselves.

What is everyone going to do when all the cops quit? I would not blame them if they did!!!!!

It's pretty clear that police in the US need to be disarmed for public safety.

Link Removed

5 countries where police officers do not carry firearms — and it works well

You say that after 3 LEOs killed in Dallas and 3 in critical condition. It has become open season on LEOs! The race baiters have put a target on the cops and they have a right to protect themselves.

What is everyone going to do when all the cops quit? I would not blame them if they did!!!!!

None of this gives a LEO the right to point his firearm at me during a traffic stop. A LEO that breaks the law is no LEO anymore. He just became another thug.

Yes, CNN and the race baiters have created this situation in Dallas the same way they did in other cities before. It was just a matter of time.

Which side gets the blame on this one? BLM calling for the murder of cops and now, during a BLM march, two snipers open fire killing three cops and wounding others?
I would say someone took the BLM message to heart and acted upon it. Shouldn't the BLM organizers be held accountable for stirring up violence and getting exactly what they wanted?

The American gun owner and the NRA will be blamed for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back