Trigger finger

mspt_99

so I have been working on my trigger finger placement. I have large but not thick hands and haven't settled in on where I am getting the best pull. Smaller guns like my kel tec PF9 it seems the last joint line is best. full sized .45 acps it seems pad works well. Couldn't find any threads if so can someone link me otherwise what are the general rules when figuring out trigger finger placement? Want to have more trial with less error!!
thanks
Mspt

Trigger finger placement

so I have been working on my trigger finger placement. I have large but not thick hands and haven't settled in on where I am getting the best pull. Smaller guns like my kel tec PF9 it seems the last joint line is best. full sized .45 acps it seems pad works well. Couldn't find any threads if so can someone link me otherwise what are the general rules when figuring out trigger finger placement? Want to have more trial with less error!!
thanks
Mspt

I have done a lot of reading to find out what the professionals advise, and I also have watched a lot of videos. The pro's seems to use either--whichever works best for them. Most, though, seem to use the pad on the finger with semi-automatics. Jerry Miceluk--who shoots a revolver--seems to use the joint line (at least that's how it looks in the pics I've studied).

I like this article https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ccm-columns/behind-the-line/teaching-trigger-control/ as it does a good job of explaining the importance of a smooth, consistent motion that minimizes movement in the rest of the hand.

I read an article during my research days that indicated that using the pad of the trigger finger resulted in less movement of the rest of the hand. Unfortunately, I couldn't find that reference today...but in my own testing I found this to be true so I use the pad of my trigger finger. YMMV, depending on how you hand fits into the gun I guess.

As with everything else that requires skill, it will be practice, practice, practice that will smooth out your motion and eventually make it instinctive.

Good luck!

I would focus on a smooth trigger pull. Be consistent, not quick at first and see what comes naturally for you as far as placement. And go from there.

Your trigger pull/finger placement is going to be based on the gun and action. Some triggers are set further out on the frame and grip on some guns and will require the use of the pad, while others will be closer in and will allow the first finger joint. The real concern is to develop a consistent and smooth trigger pull where finger movement is limited to the middle and end joint of the finger, and not at the finger joint nearest the hand. The later is more responsible for pulling shots.

Trigger finger placement should be on the pad of the finger, midway between the tip and the 1st joint. It is the only way to get the slack out and a even steady rearward pressure without moving the gun at the trigger break.

Something I found helpful, when watching TV ect I push my trigger finger and thumb against each other with great force while not allowing any of my other fingers to move at all. It took practice because my middle finger always wants to move too. This helps me to have a smooth trigger pull without my other fingers tightening on the gun which was affecting my aim.
I know this isn't about trigger finger placement but it really is a useful exercise. Good luck & have fun

Whichever position allows your finger to act as a lever that moves straight rearword without causing the firearm to sway left or right. For me on a full size firearm its almost 3/4 towards the tip of the distal phalanx (the first "joint" of the finger)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back