trespassing-hunter-gets-blasted-paint-video

HaHa! I had to chuckle at this. A fitting marking. He should be thankful he didn't get sprayed by a skunk, or a more sinister trap was used.

I wonder if he shot the cameras. I did notice the two trees either side of him had what appears to be bullet holes in them. He should be thankful he wasn't a target, like the trees.

Had a similar instance in the Fl. Keys when I was pulling a friends lobster traps as he was in the Hospital. Someone was poaching the traps. I put hair hooks in the lines begining about 3' from the bouy on the line for about six feet. It didn't take long to find out who was poaching. Needless to say he and his cohorts no longer reside within the Keys or Dade and Monroe County as they are lucky that the other fishermen didn't take it upon themselfs to met out justice. The guy was stupid enough to show up at a Pub all bandaged up, questions were asked. He came up with some excuse, but word spread as the Doc's and Nurse's started talking about the guy with hair hooks that they spent most of the morning removing. I had spoken to a full time fisherman about how he was doing and why I hadn't had a catch. He is the one who showed me what to do. That was over 10 years ago. You get what you get when you tresspass.
Fishing is not my line of work then or now. Was just helping a friend with his 25 traps while he was outta of commision.

I can understand the intent. But any sort of a booby trap could lead to big trouble. What if the guy didn't have eye protection and paint or fragments damaged his eyes?

Finding a booby-trap, I would not have walked in a new direction to lean the gun on a tree, I would have turned around, and retraced my steps out of there.

Also, we can assume the gun was loaded?, so cleaning the loaded gun, leaning against the tree, was pretty foolish.

I can understand the intent. But any sort of a booby trap could lead to big trouble. What if the guy didn't have eye protection and paint or fragments damaged his eyes?

No injury was necessary for the property owner to have been prosecuted. He was charged with manufacturing an illegal explosive device. Sounds like it was more symbolism than a "real" charge, as the proceedings were stayed and will be (or possibly already have been) dismissed in six months if he doesn't/didn't set any more explosive booby traps. Sounds like it must've stayed local because the ATF isn't mentioned.

The trespasser got the same deal - don't trespass again for six months, and the charge goes away.

Lots of back-and-forth between the property owner and the trespasser and/or their family members since this happened. The video was posted on YouTube almost exactly a year ago, a Hatfield & McCoy kind of feud ensued in the Comments section and on social media, and the property owner got charged because of that uproar and the evidence (the video) that he himself allowed to be made public.

I have no sympathy at all for the trespasser, and think the way the property owner has been treated is just one more example of the folly of allowing BATFE to exist, even though they likely weren't involved in this specific case. The state of PA, or the county/municipality it happened in, wouldn't have been able to blackmail the property owner into accepting the government dictating how he controls access and/or security on his own property without being able to hold the threat of bringing the feds into it if he didn't go along with it. While he, the property owner, does sound like he's wound a bit tight, it's his property, the old codger was trespassing, and he wasn't hurt at all. The property owner should've suffered no consequences at all, mild though they may have been.

Blues

The old man, was 73. Walking, climbing creeks, exertion. What if the blast, had caused a heart attack or stroke, and he died on that video? The property owner would be facing murder charges.

Think things through, and figure out the worst possible outcome, and let that guide your decisions. Guy could have died, gone blind. It was foolish to plant a bomb, which is what this was, to ward off someone walking on land.

The old man, was 73. Walking, climbing creeks, exertion. What if the blast, had caused a heart attack or stroke, and he died on that video? The property owner would be facing murder charges.

Think things through, and figure out the worst possible outcome, and let that guide your decisions. Guy could have died, gone blind. It was foolish to plant a bomb, which is what this was, to ward off someone walking on land.

Then old enough to know better. He was where he knew he should not be, he was trespassing. What if a tree or tree limb fell on him, what if he stepped on a rock and broke his ankle and died of exposure?

You can *_what IF_* this forever, but one thing is a constant, and there is no "if" involved, he was trespassing.

1: Have you ever j walked? No human is without fault. Feet on ground, is not like breaking into a jewelry store at 3am. Both are trespassing. If you are a Christian, Jesus did the same thing, and ate field corn, on the Sabbath. Walking on ground, is a no harm no foul kind of issue.

2: An act of God, causing a tree limb to fall, is a long stretch from setting a booby trap. Most states, setting any booby trap, is a felony. Falling trees, not so much. If someone was hurt by a falling tree limb, most all property insurance policies would come into play. You think any insurance policy is going to cover booby traps? No, they will not, and they will cancel your policy after they figure out you set one.

3: A 73 year old, is getting on in years, and may not always make the best choices. He is someone's Dad, someone's Grandfather. . Do you want someone setting a booby trap for your parents, because they stepped on a piece of ground, harming nothing? We should be protecting our elders, our children, not setting traps for them.

I don't believe that we can say definitively that it was a "bomb." If it had been, I don't think the locals could've kept ATF out of it. Nothing in anything I've read about it describes details of the trigger mechanism. It could've just as easily been a CO2 cartridge as anything explosives-based.

I used to own a very busy coffee shop. Female employees usually left their purses in the lady's restroom. At Christmas time one year, when we had six or seven extra temps working, we had a spate of thefts of money, cigs, whatever, out of the purses in there. A couple of the girls asked me how we could set a trap to catch the thief, and I went on the web for ideas. Somehow landed on the local Spy Shop's website on the page where this powdered substance that turns bright purple when touched on skin was listed. Takes just a little bit spread over a bill, and the thief's hands would look like they're wearing purple-colored surgical gloves. Stuck the corner of a $50 bill out of a wallet in one of the purses and about a half an hour after one of the temps clocked in, she came running out of the restroom in a flash of purple, straight out the back door, into her car and gone in a purple flash. One of our aprons with purple hand-prints all over it was laying in the parking lot right by where her car used to be.

But golly gee wiz! She coulda gotten some of that purple powder in her eyes! Or hyperventilated, passed out and cracked her head on her kitchen counter when she saw the cops coming up her driveway out of her trailer window!

Boo-friggin'-hoo.

The property was posted not only for no trespassing, but with warnings about getting "painted" too according to what the property owner said on social media and in the Comments section of where the video is posted. From one ol' fart to another, he shoulda taken the long way around to his huntin' grounds, and the property owner shoulda never suffered any legal consequences whatsoever.

Blues

3: A 73 year old, is getting on in years, and may not always make the best choices. He is someone's Dad, someone's Grandfather. . Do you want someone setting a booby trap for your parents, because they stepped on a piece of ground, harming nothing? We should be protecting our elders, our children, not setting traps for them.
Well I ain't 73, but I ain't that damn far from it either, and I can see a sign that says "Posted No Hunting", and I know what the hell it means, and that the right thing to do is honor that property owners property rights, and I would stay the hell off his property.

And if 73 is as far over the hill as you are trying to make it out, and he is prone to "not making the best choices" what the hell is he doing out in the woods, alone, with a gun in the first place?

Plus he was not setting a trap for the elderly, he was setting it for the jack-wagon that was blatantly ignoring his rights as a property owner, who happened to be old enough to know better.

Laurel & Hardy slapstick is funny, because it is a bit, to be funny. Anyone that thinks paint bomb going off in someone's face is funny, well, that is beyond my comprehension. I am not saying the old hunter made a good choice, but no one deserves to be treated like trash.

I had an employee years ago that was watching TV on a break, and he busted out laughing. He was watching Headline news, which repeated every half hour. In the next half hour, I was in the break room, and I could tell by the audio, the same story was repeating. I watched it, to see what was so funny. It was a story about a war torn area of Africa, where 200,000 children had lost limbs due to landmines. When the journalist showed a stump, and said 200,000 limbs, that is where my employee busted out laughing. Guess how many more moments that guy stayed employed at my company? Long enough to clear out his desk. He asked me why he was getting fired, and I told him, I thought it would be funny. Years later, this guy has been investigated for the disappearance and (feared murdered) of a young woman that has never been found.

Funny? No, I do not think an attack on anyone, is ever funny.

We had a situation where a man stopped to ask if he could hunt on our 58 acre parcel. We told him no, as we only allow family. 2 months later we found his truck parked pretty much right in the middle of our property. He had taken an old logging road in that was out of sight of the house and set up shop like he owned the place. We were waiting for him when he came back, we warned him that there would be consequences if he was caught again. As far as we know, he has not been back, but the DNR and County Sheriff are all aware of this guy. He is a habitual trespasser and they are always watching for him.
I was brought up to respect other people's property and the Landowner's rules governing the property. If the Landowner said you can't hunt or even cut across to hunt somewhere else, you did not do it.
Moral of the story is, if you show respect to those around you, you will get it in return. This guy did not respect the Landowner, and was shown no respect in return. Could he have gotten hurt? Yes. Did he? No, and I would bet good money that he will not be trespassing again any time soon.

What if the blast, had caused a heart attack or stroke, and he died on that video?
If pigs had wings they'd be birds. As the property owner I wouldn't do something like that but I would want a trespass charge. I have a small herd of deer that seem to live on my land all year. A neighbor asked if he could setup on them last season but I said no. At least he asked and didn't just do what he pleased. People should always get permission before hunting private lands.

Now, if someone had booby trapped that corn stalk 2000 years ago and got that on video, that would be funny. Lol. Dieties should know better.

I am a land owner. I am not fond of trespass violators. But i do not try to booby trap them. I politely run them off or call the police.

I had an agent of the state (game warden) trespass on my property and put up a camera..... Someone cut the camera off the tree and it hasnt been seen since, imagine that......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back