Travelling to Maryland

coloneljim

My wife and I will be going to visit my Marine son stationed at Indian Head for Christmas. I'll be going from Arkansas, through Tennessee, and Virgina. Bothl those states honor Arkansas CHL, so no problem there.

I think I know the answer to this question, but is there anyway to legally carry my firearm when I cross the Virgina/Maryland border? I like to travel at night and really feel uncomfortable with a weapon.

Thanks for your responses.

My wife and I will be going to visit my Marine son stationed at Indian Head for Christmas. I'll be going from Arkansas, through Tennessee, and Virgina. Bothl those states honor Arkansas CHL, so no problem there.

I think I know the answer to this question, but is there anyway to legally carry my firearm when I cross the Virgina/Maryland border? I like to travel at night and really feel uncomfortable with a weapon.

Thanks for your responses.

In a word: NO.

Ok, thanks. That was the answer I expected. Oh, well, I'll just travel unarmed this trip.

Hey, CJ, didn't mean to sound so terse. Just that Maryland pisses me off with it's draconian gun laws. You sounded like you wanted to CARRY in MD. You can't do that legally. However, you can TRANSPORT: Put the unloaded weapon in a LOCKED gun case in the TRUNK; keep any ammo separate. This way, at least, you can travel armed until you get to Maryland.

I grew up in Maryland, although I have lived in ND for the last 20-odd years. When I travel back to visit, this is what I do; armed until I get there, then stash firearm in the trunk.

I grew up in Maryland. Spent 30 years there, and I ain't gonna go back.

Maryland law on the transportation of handguns is so draconian there's actually no allowance under law for someone from out of state passing through with an unloaded, locked, cased handgun in the trunk.

Link Removed

FOPA is your protection, but don't count on Maryland LEOs adhering to FOPA.

I grew up in Maryland. Spent 30 years there, and I ain't gonna go back.

Maryland law on the transportation of handguns is so draconian there's actually no allowance under law for someone from out of state passing through with an unloaded, locked, cased handgun in the trunk.

Link Removed

FOPA is your protection, but don't count on Maryland LEOs adhering to FOPA.

The way I view it is "what they don't know can't hurt me". Personally, I'll be damned if I would travel across the country unarmed just because I can't carry in MD.

KNOW YOUR RIGHTS and be prepared to fight for 'em.

The way I view it is "what they don't know can't hurt me".
Trees falling in the woods and guns carried for protection. I agree with the sentiment, but the OP asked is there anyway to LEGALLY carry my firearm (emphasis added).

Trees falling in the woods and guns carried for protection. I agree with the sentiment, but the OP asked is there anyway to LEGALLY carry my firearm (emphasis added).

Yeah, I know, and I'm not telling him to carry.

I am saying I wouldn't hesitate to TRANSPORT legally.

When it comes to carrying a firearm in Maryland, FAGEDDABOUTIT. They won't give permits to residents unless you're connected.

Pull over somewhere in Virginia before you cross the Border to Maryland. Unload the weapon, and put the weapon in a locked container in the trunk. Put the ammo and/or magazine in a separate container. When you get to you son's place take the weapon out and store it in your son's home until you are ready to leave.

When you leave, put the locked container back into the trunk, and when cross over into Virginia, Lock & load!

Maryland is very problematic to carry. The only way anyone I know has been able to is while working security and on duty and even then its been fairly hard to get the permit. Non LEO or security officers. I plan on getting out of the state as soon as I can because of the state laws

One further issue- If your son is living on a military installation, you may need to utilize your motel's safe. Guns are not allowed on post, and they can thoughly search your car, if they so desire.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back