Traveling in Nevada

bigdaddysdaddy

Can I carry a firearm if I'm traveling from Texas to Nevada, and how may I carry it?.

Can I carry a firearm if I'm traveling from Texas to Nevada, and how may I carry it?.
In Nevada it can't be concealed on your person without a CHL. Loaded, out of sight, inside your vehicle is fine. A few cities are still being stubborn about state law, but they seem to be coming around.

Be sure to check each state along your route.

Link Removed

Handgunlaw.us

Link Removed

Bookmark these.

In Nevada it can't be concealed on your person without a CHL. Loaded, out of sight, inside your vehicle is fine. A few cities are still being stubborn about state law, but they seem to be coming around.

Be sure to check each state along your route.

Link Removed

Handgunlaw.us

Link Removed

Bookmark these.

I have never heard of a Nevada permit referred to as a CHL. It is called a Nevada Concealed Firearm Permit, not a CHL. I know it's just semantics, but it can be confusing.

You can open carry, but do not have the firearm on your person inside the car.

If you're visiting Las Vegas, please don't open carry on The Strip or downtown at the Fremont Street Experience. You are very likely to have an unpleasant encounter with the local 'boys'.
Just be cool. These tourist areas are heavily coveted by the gaming industry and they don't like it when their revenue stream is interrupted by someone distracting their gambling patrons.
Most other areas should be okay, but it depends on a boatload of variables.

Nevada is NOT an open carry state. It is a FREE carry state. That means that open carry is 'de facto' legal because there is no statute prohibiting it.
Arizona IS an open carry state because there is a specific law allowing it.
Texas in is a NO OPEN CARRY state because there is a law forbidding it.

Getting the picture?

I have never heard of a Nevada permit referred to as a CHL. It is called a Nevada Concealed Firearm Permit, not a CHL. I know it's just semantics, but it can be confusing.

It must vary by county because mine issued by Nye County is a Concealed Weapons Permit.

I was under the impression that all Nevada counties have to use the following information on their permits:

NRS 202.366 Investigation of applicant for permit; issuance or denial of permit; expiration of permit.

1. Upon receipt by a sheriff of an application for a permit, the sheriff shall conduct an investigation of the applicant to determine if he is eligible for a permit. In conducting the investigation, the sheriff shall forward a complete set of the applicant’s fingerprints to the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History for submission to the Federal Bureau of Investigation for its report concerning the criminal history of the applicant. The sheriff shall issue a permit to the applicant unless he is not qualified to possess a handgun pursuant to state or federal law or is not otherwise qualified to obtain a permit pursuant to NRS 202.3653 to 202.369, inclusive, or the regulations adopted pursuant thereto.

2. To assist the sheriff in conducting his investigation, any local law enforcement agency, including the sheriff of any county, may voluntarily submit to the sheriff a report or other information concerning the criminal history of an applicant.

3. Within 120 days after a complete application for a permit is submitted, the sheriff to whom the application is submitted shall grant or deny the application. If the application is denied, the sheriff shall send the applicant written notification setting forth the reasons for the denial. If the application is granted, the sheriff shall provide the applicant with a permit containing a colored photograph of the applicant and containing such other information as may be prescribed by the Department. The permit must be in substantially the following form:

NEVADA CONCEALED FIREARM PERMIT

County............................................... Permit Number....................................

Expires............................................... Date of Birth.......................................

Height................................................ Weight..................................................

Name................................................. Address.................................................

City..................................................... Zip.........................................................

Photograph

Signature...........................................

Issued by...........................................

Date of Issue....................................

Make, model and caliber of each authorized semiautomatic firearm, if any...

Revolvers authorized................................................... Yes.................................... No

It must vary by county because mine issued by Nye County is a Concealed Weapons Permit.
Well this is not the first time the Nye County Sheriff has caused issues.

It's a concealed firearm permit. The four States that immediately come to mind with blanket weapon licenses or permits are FL, KY, MO and UT. While Utah calls it a CFP as we do here, the UCA specifically exempts you from most weapon laws in UT.

Florida calls it a concealed weapon or firearm license. Kentucky calls it a CCDW, carry concealed deadly weapon. Missouri calls it a concealed weapon endorsement which is on your drivers license or state issued ID as an endorsement. Again you are exempt from most weapon laws in Missouri if you have any concealed firearm or weapon endorsement, license or permit from any State.

Keep in mind that in most States, it's a firearm, handgun or pistol license or permit to carry concealed only. In some States it's a license or permit to carry period; open or concealed such as the case with IN and NH.

True weapon permits allow you to carry martial arts weapons, billy clubs or batons and knives. In Florida, if you have a CWFL, you are legal to own and carry switchblade knives and expandable batons. However you're not allowed to do that here in Nevada with a CFP.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defcon
Back