Traveling by Air

Thanks.
Is there a limit as to how many I can bring?

Gipaskin gamit akong selpon.

Besides the weight limit, which if you go over its just an oversized bag and costs more, there isn't a number limit on firearms (I've taken three at one time). I believe you can only transport 11 lbs of ammunition though.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Besides the weight limit, which if you go over its just an oversized bag and costs more, there isn't a number limit on firearms (I've taken three at one time). I believe you can only transport 11 lbs of ammunition though.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

Ah ok. No plans of bringing ammo. I already got some in GA.

Any airline suggestions?

Check your airline's website for written instruction on traveling with firearms. Each may all different amounts (weight) of ammo.
Also, check with the state that you're traveling to and abide by their rules on how to legally travel/transport a firearm in their state.

I found this on the Spirit Airlines website:
"6.4.1.16. Firearms
Spirit Airlines will allow customers to transport firearms in accordance with applicable regulations. Except for personnel authorized by the federal government, the following conditions must be met:
a) Firearms are accepted as checked baggage only and must be declared to an agent at check-in.
b) No one under 18 years of age may check a firearm. A customer who presents baggage containing a firearm must declare that the weapon is unloaded and will be required to sign a Firearm Declaration tag.
c) Firearms must be packed in a hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm; a locked hard-sided gun case; a locked hard-sided piece of luggage.
d) A handgun packed in a hard-sided gun case may be packed inside a soft-sided piece of luggage.
e) Firearms may not be checked curbside.
f) Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key or lock combination retained by the customer.
g) If the firearm in the hard-sided, locked container is inside a piece of checked baggage, the Firearm Declaration Tag will be placed inside the checked baggage and proximate to, but not inside of, the hard-sided, locked container.
h) If the firearm is not inside another piece of checked baggage (for example: a rifle case), the Firearm Declaration Tag will be placed inside the hard-sided, locked container.
i) Ammunition must be packed in the original manufacturing package or metal/wood box, with a maximum of 11 pounds per customer.
j) Loose ammunition or clips will not be accepted.
NOTE: Firearms are NOT permitted to/from international destinations."

Also, you can read the TSA guidelines on traveling with Firearms and Ammunition on the TSA website: Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration

Be safe and good luck!

Check your airline's website for written instruction on traveling with firearms. Each may all different amounts (weight) of ammo.
Also, check with the state that you're traveling to and abide by their rules on how to legally travel/transport a firearm in their state.

I found this on the Spirit Airlines website:
"6.4.1.16. Firearms
Spirit Airlines will allow customers to transport firearms in accordance with applicable regulations. Except for personnel authorized by the federal government, the following conditions must be met:
a) Firearms are accepted as checked baggage only and must be declared to an agent at check-in.
b) No one under 18 years of age may check a firearm. A customer who presents baggage containing a firearm must declare that the weapon is unloaded and will be required to sign a Firearm Declaration tag.
c) Firearms must be packed in a hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm; a locked hard-sided gun case; a locked hard-sided piece of luggage.
d) A handgun packed in a hard-sided gun case may be packed inside a soft-sided piece of luggage.
e) Firearms may not be checked curbside.
f) Baggage containing firearms must be locked at all times and the key or lock combination retained by the customer.
g) If the firearm in the hard-sided, locked container is inside a piece of checked baggage, the Firearm Declaration Tag will be placed inside the checked baggage and proximate to, but not inside of, the hard-sided, locked container.
h) If the firearm is not inside another piece of checked baggage (for example: a rifle case), the Firearm Declaration Tag will be placed inside the hard-sided, locked container.
i) Ammunition must be packed in the original manufacturing package or metal/wood box, with a maximum of 11 pounds per customer.
j) Loose ammunition or clips will not be accepted.
NOTE: Firearms are NOT permitted to/from international destinations."

Also, you can read the TSA guidelines on traveling with Firearms and Ammunition on the TSA website: Firearms and Ammunition | Transportation Security Administration

Be safe and good luck!

Thanks.
By the way, will the gun case that contained my gun when I bought it, is enough to be considered a hard sided case or do I need to buy another case?
Pardon my newbie questions.

Thanks.
By the way, will the gun case that contained my gun when I bought it, is enough to be considered a hard sided case or do I need to buy another case?
Pardon my newbie questions.

that depends, if the case can easily be pried open when locked some agents will reject that case, for example the glock cases can be rejected.

I use metal clam shell cases. They cost about $30 at any sporting goods store. I use the cable to tie it to my luggage (my wife hates that I cut a slit in the back but the cable locks to the frame)

You can get them with tumbler locks or keys. I also suggest putting the firearm in just as it's shown in the pic. I put mine in with the handgrip near the lock and it got jammed. I had to have the hinge cut off to access the box. I also (and NEVER had an issue doing this) put a loaded magazine in with the firearm inside a leather or nylon mag holder. It meets the TSA requirements.

Looks like this:
41Pa46BjeXL._SX300_.jpg

Just an update. I was able to travel yesterday with my checked firearms. I flew delta and the girl on the counter was very calm and easy to talk to. Only took 3mins to check in.
Thanks for all your advice.

Never travel through New York City, even if it's just to change planes. Several people have gotten put in jail due to that even though they were transporting legally.

Never travel through New York City, even if it's just to change planes. Several people have gotten put in jail due to that even though they were transporting legally.

calm down, the sky is not falling, the operative word is THROUGH, you can travel through NYC with minimal issues, the problem there is an overzealous enforcement by the PA[airport] police who demand to inspect every outgoing firearm on flights originating in NYC, if you are flying or transferring through NYC avoid taking possession of your baggage for any reason.
the problem there is that the cops and the courts have suspended the rights of the constitution and force you to prove that you are legally transporting the weapon. That said, I have flown into NYC with weapons and transported them lawfully. I have not attempted to fly out.
The people who have had troubles in NYC did not follow the FOPA regs and excepting one famous case they caused their own problems

calm down, the sky is not falling, the operative word is THROUGH, you can travel through NYC with minimal issues, the problem there is an overzealous enforcement by the PA[airport] police who demand to inspect every outgoing firearm on flights originating in NYC, if you are flying or transferring through NYC avoid taking possession of your baggage for any reason.
the problem there is that the cops and the courts have suspended the rights of the constitution and force you to prove that you are legally transporting the weapon. That said, I have flown into NYC with weapons and transported them lawfully. I have not attempted to fly out.
The people who have had troubles in NYC did not follow the FOPA regs and excepting one famous case they caused their own problems
People flying THROUGH New York city have been arrested with their guns. There was a thread here about one such arrest last year or the year before. Their connection was cancelled or rescheduled and their baggage that was supposed to be checked through was instead sent to baggage claim. You can't simply NOT claim your bags and have them sent back to the ramp. They had to check in again when it was time to leave and they were arrested, or at least one of them was. And some airline ticket agents insist on putting the firearm tag on the outside of the bag instead of the inside. You wouldn't want to take that bag through New York. So you can't just count on skating through NYC without being caught. The risk may be low, but the risk is still there. That's why I never book flights through NYC.

People flying THROUGH New York city have been arrested with their guns. There was a thread here about one such arrest last year or the year before. Their connection was cancelled or rescheduled and their baggage that was supposed to be checked through was instead sent to baggage claim. You can't simply NOT claim your bags and have them sent back to the ramp. They had to check in again when it was time to leave and they were arrested, or at least one of them was. And some airline ticket agents insist on putting the firearm tag on the outside of the bag instead of the inside. You wouldn't want to take that bag through New York. So you can't just count on skating through NYC without being caught. The risk may be low, but the risk is still there. That's why I never book flights through NYC.

take a chill pill and read my post again

take a chill pill and read my post again
I did. I'm just saying that you can't always avoid taking possession of your bags. Sometimes that can be beyond your control and then you could be screwed. And they don't care one bit if you're legally transporting the weapon. They'll arrest you no matter how you're transporting it. As far as they're concerned the FOPA doesn't exist. By the time you get to the point where you can possibly invoke the provisions of the FOPA, IF you ever get that far, they'll have reamed holes in you large enough to drive trucks through. That's why I personally think it wiser to avoid NYC altogether.

I'm planning on doing some flying this July leaving from Seattle, Washington going to North Carolina and I should be good but I do have one quick question for now, Do you or do you not lock your check baggage that you have your gun in, I'm not talking about the gun case itself but the gun case also? I know that you got to lock up the gun case but the baggage that you put your gun case in?

I'm planning on doing some flying this July leaving from Seattle, Washington going to North Carolina and I should be good but I do have one quick question for now, Do you or do you not lock your check baggage that you have your gun in

Yes, with just a cheap, TSA approved lock. Don't use a non-TSA lock on the luggage, they will just cut it off.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back