Top 15 Pocket Carry?

telpinaro

Top 15 Pocket Pistols for Self Defense

Interesting list... Has some really good guns. And... one that's currently unavailable (as far as I know, anyway), another with a very bad reputation, and a couple that would need really big pockets. Missing several that should be there, too.

Mostly these types of "articles" are just for advertisers. Puff pieces really. Information is better in forums, but one had to be wary as well for "internet lore"

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells

I'm a Ruger fan (own 4), and the fact that they picture the LC9 and not the LCP makes me question the veracity of the list. I agree it is more of a sales pitch.

Howdy,

Like ankle carry, I'm not a fan of pocket carry.

In a SD situation the BG is going to upon you so quickly that you will NOT have time to draw a handgun from your pocket unless you already have your hand on it.

Also, more likely than not, the BG has much more experience and training than you. Believe it or not the BGs train. Most start as kids. Remember the bully that took you stuff in the 1st grade? That's training for him. He's been doing it his entire life and has honed his skills and will use the element of surprise against you.

When you are at the local "Gas-N-Rob" pumping gas, he will wait until you are distracted with "pay at the pump" to make his move. You'll have your wallet in one hand and your debit card in the other and then suddenly he'll be upon you before you can blink.

That pocket carried handgun will be totally useless.

I know, I know....... It would never happen to you because of your Situational Awareness that you obtained from your Super Top Secret Mall Ninja Training.

Paul

Howdy,

In a SD situation the BG is going to upon you so quickly that you will NOT have time to draw a handgun from your pocket unless you already have your hand on it.

Also, more likely than not, the BG has much more experience and training than you. Believe it or not the BGs train. Most start as kids. Remember the bully that took you stuff in the 1st grade? That's training for him. He's been doing it his entire life and has honed his skills and will use the element of surprise against you.

When you are at the local "Gas-N-Rob" pumping gas, he will wait until you are distracted with "pay at the pump" to make his move. You'll have your wallet in one hand and your debit card in the other and then suddenly he'll be upon you before you can blink.

I know, I know....... It would never happen to you because of your Situational Awareness that you obtained from your Super Top Secret Mall Ninja Training.

Paul

gotta ask, if you can't get it out of your pocket how on earth are you gonna get it your ankle ?

Howdy,

Paul

You do make a good point. I have trained academy and LEOs in personal defense. One if the biggest mistakes
Made is if the assailant is close to reach for your gun. In our testing if the assailant was armed with a knife or club or even fists you were more than likely seriously messed up before your weapon could be deployed

Personally for concealed carry I carry a CM 9. I ccarryit appendix as it is for myself by far the easiest way to deploy

We would it almost always better. We found it much better to initially used hand-to-hand gain space and then to deploy your weapon.

It is one of the reasons in real situations most of the time I much prefer the interview or weaver type stance.

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

Last edited:
Howdy,

Paul
I remembered the Bully in the first, second, and third grades, same guy, when we got to HS he was a football jock and as big a ***hole as ever........... I tripped him one day and he went head first down a stairwell..........

Well, they list the Remington R51. That's not even a functioning gun. Remington is currently silently offering full refunds: RemingtonOwners.com ? View topic - Any word on returns ?. The R51 may become a collectible though.

I'm still hoping they'll fix them... Not holding my breath, though!

Mostly these types of "articles" are just for advertisers. Puff pieces really. Information is better in forums, but one had to be wary as well for "internet lore"

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells

I'm a Ruger fan (own 4), and the fact that they picture the LC9 and not the LCP makes me question the veracity of the list. I agree it is more of a sales pitch.

And yeah, that was my thought as well. Gotta be advertisement or something. They also missed the TCP and the Shield, and quite a few others more practical for pocket carry, I'm sure. Plus they offered no review of any of them, or any reasoning as to why they made the list! R51? Really? Why on earth would someone suggest in a "top 15" list something that doesn't work?

As to this thread most of those guns are to big to be carried in a normal size pocket, and some you have to have a lot of disposable income to afford, I have a TCP and a NAA 22mag looks like a belt buckle gun, those guns can be kept in your pocket, and not look like you have a brick in there

Paul, you just hit the nail on the head, and stood up for pocket carry without even meaning to. If the little hairs stand up on the back of your neck, uncovering your IWB, appendix carry or whatever and placing your hand on the grip is not actually practical. In that same circumstance I can have my hand on my BUG, get a grip, lay my finger safely along the barrel outside the pocket holster and should the need arise draw faster than you could from IWB. The key is situational awareness.

I was surprised to see the LC380 was not mentioned. I too am a Ruger fan.
*(Wish spell check recognized Ruger)*
The problem with so many "Pocket Pistols" is two fold IMHO.
Terrible trigger and hard to control recoil. The closest I have found to a pocket pistol with everything going for it is the Ruger SR9c.
It is one of my favorite pistols and the more I shoot it the better the trigger gets.

I was surprised to see the LC380 was not mentioned. I too am a Ruger fan.
*(Wish spell check recognized Ruger)*
The problem with so many "Pocket Pistols" is two fold IMHO.
Terrible trigger and hard to control recoil. The closest I have found to a pocket pistol with everything going for it is the Ruger SR9c.
It is one of my favorite pistols and the more I shoot it the better the trigger gets.
The LC380 and LC9 are exactly the same size, and both are larger and twice the weight of the LCP.

The LC380 and LC9 are exactly the same size, and both are larger and twice the weight of the LCP.

I understand the two are the same. The difference is the recoil. The LC9 that I owned had terrible recoil and a garbage trigger.
Not sure how the trigger and recoil issue will be solved but you can bet someone will find a way if there is profit in it.

Glock 42? Really?

I have a Glock 42 and absolutely love it. If I'm wearing pants, it's an awesome ankle gun. I've never been a fan of pocket carry though so I can't attest to that. It's crazy accurate though and to me beats any .380 on the market. The only way it could be better is if it were a 9mm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back