Took my son out shooting for the first time. SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Legere

Yesterday I took my 5 year old son out shooting for the first time. He got a .22cal bolt action rifle for christmas and he was itching to shoot. Ever since the first time he came with me to the sand pits, I've always stressed firearm safety. He knows to NEVER point a firearm at anyone wether he thinks its loaded or empty. He knows to always look beyond his target. I've even gone as far as to draw pictures of different sight pictures to see if he knew when the rifle is properly on target.

Well, we bought some over-ripe gourds from the local grocery store and headed to the pits. I put the gourds on a wooden stand about 25 yards out. I taught him how to load the weapon and set the safety. Once he did all that I told him to take his time and aim at the center of the gourd and let me know when he was ready. When he said he was ready, I reached over and took the safety off and told him that when he was ready to squeeze the trigger.

After he fired, he emptied the chamber of the spent casing and we walked down to the gourd. He hit that gourd dead center and blew it all to pieces. After we set up another gourd, we went through the process again.

Another Shot. Another Busted Gourd.

I was so proud. He fired 2 rounds and busted all our targets. I wish I had brought more, but I didn't think we needed more than 2 gourds. We will be going out again soon.

Very cool. I bought my 7 year old grandson a 22/410 for his birthday. Have yet to get him out with it. Should be a lot of fun. Start em early and train em right! My dad did!

I was looking for one of those Criket rifles, but came across an Italian .22 single shot instead. The rifle I picked up for him is a whole lot better than the criket would have been. It has an oak stock instead of the plastic one. This is a rifle that, hopefully, he will keep for a long time and maybe pass down to his first son should he have one someday.

The guy I bought it from, bought it for his son 26 years ago and was going to pass it to his first grandson. His son and new wife decided they didn't want kids so the guy told his son he was going to sell it. I was blown away by how well this firearm has been taken care of. I wouldn't have ever guessed it was 26 years old. It's mint.

Awesome
i6igis_th.jpg

Took my 12 yo grandson to the range for the first time the other day. He's never shot before, but thanks to him playing video games, he's a natural. He definately wants to go again. Very cool experience for both of us. Started out with a Marlin 60 in .22 lr. Worked up to my son's 40 cal S&W. Hope to get him to shoot some 223 & 7.62 next time. He was really impressed with the Walther in 22lr. Big smiles.
I don't want to pressure him at all to shoot, but I see a new contender for target shooting in the future.

Children have a way of surprising us when we least expect it! Sound's like an awesome beginning to a long partnership. I hope it grows and flourishes for you and your son. Congratulations!

Congratulations! I always envy those who have parents who are able to guide and teach young children about guns, morals and ethics of living.

My local range does not allow kids until they are 7 (she is 6 in June), so once my daughter turns 7 we will be there. I cannot wait! I do have access to some land we can go shoot at it, it is just a really far drive. If she wants to make the trip though, I plan to take her there this summer. I want her to try it out and if she likes it I will buy her a .22 rifle. Will probably start with an air rifle with her first though since I have one now and no .22 rifle at the moment. Hopefully she enjoys it as much as I would enjoy taking her along.

we have sand pits everywhere around here. We fire into walls of sand over 100 feet tall. My son had been using a basic BB gun for the last couple years so I guess you could say he's been shooting since the age of 4. I wanted to start him shooting, hunting, fishing, being outdoors as soon as he could. I'd rather have the problem of not being able to keep up with him in the woods as he gets older, than him growing roots on the couch when he gets older.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back