Told By Gun Store Employee Not To Carry Anything Bigger Than 9MM

ABQ NM APD officer killed a Career, violent Repeat offender that had drawn on the officer. He shot the perp with a .45. The ABQ Journal and news media attacked the veteran officer relentlessly. The perp had not yet chambered a round. Officer was carrying a large caliber weapon (cruel and inhumane .45) he was questionably not 'trained' to carry. He shot the perp too many times. His Facebook posting mentioned his job as 'Human Waste Disposal'. The media always paints a nasty pic of the shooter and his 'gun' when one of it's favorite 'repeat offenders' is permently eliminated.

I hate to say this but... if the officer was posting "his job as Human Waste Disposal" he was asking for trouble. I much as we may agree that his job entailed some disposal... it would be VERY easy for someone to use this and make it sound as though he was "hunting" for trouble. After that.... well in the eyes of the media... it's all fair game and it's ALL ALWAYS bad !
- for their sakes... I hope they never need help from one of these large caliber carrying, crazed folks :fie: -

It's just guy at a gun store with an opinion. We all have them and can probably cite information that supports our opinions. That's all. A guy at a gun store near me seemed discouraging about Kel Tec pocket pistols. When I asked him further, he mentioned that they are rated for less rounds than other guns, which is just one of many factors to consider. I guess he likes guns rated for more rounds that wil probably last longer. That still makes sense, but it may just be part of the equation.

If he thinks 9mm is the best, then good for him. You disagreed and went elsewhere, which is good as well.

As a long time pistol carrier I can say that there are times my 92F in a shoulder rig is a better option as in driving for hours, tucked neatly under the arm and easy to get to if needed while seated. Other times such as in slightly cooler weather when a concealment garment can be worn, my 1911 on my hip, since I just love Ol' Slab sides :) In the hotter months I go for my 3" Ruger GP100 or my K40, with an untucked shirt these two vanish on my frame and no one knows I am carrying. Bullet placement stops fights though caliber helps. If one can hit with a 9 but miss with anything bigger then the 9 is the right caliber for that person. For some so called Pro at a gun shop to say otherwise is doing a disservice to his or her customers.

Sorry for the long winded post but every time someone asks me what is the best gun I always ask what do you shoot the best ... there ya go.

I was recently told by an instructor from Sig that the 9mm in +P is approaching ballistics of larger rounds. This is for the newer current rounds on the market. I like the .40 but love the extra capacity in 9mm. Now there may not be such a trade off. Guess I will have to try some 9mm in +P.
No I don't mean my own ballistics testing, just see how they shoot. In this conversation the .357 sig was given great review.

No handgun bullet will stop everyone "dead" every time.

I know of several very high round count fails-to-stop incidents where the .40 was used.

Google up the Pete Solis fight and you'll read about his having to shoot his attacker more than 20 times with 165gr Ranger-T from a Glock 22 before the bad guy quit the fight.

Just one example.

I looked that article up and it states that the police were using department issued Glock 19's and shooting 9mm 124gr Speer Gold Dot. Whats amazing is that the suspect survived after being hit 23 times.

I looked that article up and it states that the police were using department issued Glock 19's and shooting 9mm 124gr Speer Gold Dot. Whats amazing is that the suspect survived after being hit 23 times.

Wrong gunfight, that one was NYPD.

Pete Solis was in a shoot-out stemming from a car stop, ended up shot several times by the suspect, with a Glock 22, and hit the bad guy over 20 times with 165gr Ranger-T from his G22.

Not too long ago a copper in NOLA had to hit a suspect 9 times center mass with 230gr +P Ranger-T launched from a Glock 21 before the bad guy quit.

Then, well, there is the Navy SEAL in this incident, hit 27 times at close range with 7.62X39 and 5.56 rounds;

Link Removed

“It was in a room that was 12 by 12,” Navy Seal Sr. Chief Mike Day said. “The gunfight was initially started by them shooting the rifle out of my hands. I pulled out my pistol and got into it with four dudes. I was shot 27 times, 16 to the body and 11 to my body armor.”

Note; said SEAL, after having his M4 shot from his hands, and being hit 27 times, then pulled his Sig 226 (a 9mm) and killed all four bad guys.

Caliber wars. Seems they never end. And never really produce anything but bellows of, "my gun is better than your gun." Those that have your same gun always agree and those that don't consider you ignorant.

The best gun is the one you are carrying when the need arises.

“Amateurs talk hardware. Professionals talk software. It doesn't matter what's in your hand or between your legs. It matters what's in your heart and in your head."
~ Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

I would say it was his personal opinion. Mine is, shouldnt carry anything larger than a .40 just because Im a fan of it. I speak to other people on a regular basis who say the same thing of 9mm and dont see the need for anything larger.
You did good by getting someone else in the convo. I kinda laughed myself seeing that someone actually said, shouldnt carry anything larger than a 9 lol.
:yu:

I would say it was his personal opinion. Mine is, shouldnt carry anything larger than a .40 just because Im a fan of it. I speak to other people on a regular basis who say the same thing of 9mm and dont see the need for anything larger.
You did good by getting someone else in the convo. I kinda laughed myself seeing that someone actually said, shouldnt carry anything larger than a 9 lol.
:yu:
I think his boss just got a big delivery of 9mms in the day before:biggrin:

I was recently in a local gun store and an employee there told me that I should not carry anything larger tham a 9mm. I laughed at him and quickly got someone else involved in the conversation.

Sounds like they don't want to sell very many guns.:no:

It could be worse. We could be living in Mexico where the maximum caliber size for private citizens is .380!

Personally, I like .380, but I also like the many other, and sometimes larger choices we have in this country.

I really don't know that much about 9mm vs .40SW ballistics.

My opinion, completely subjective, without empirical merit, is that between those two calibers, bullets are bullets. A 9mm isn't insubstantial of course, but if there is less energy there is less energy.

If there was some guy on PCP coming at me that wanted to eat my face off, I would prefer to be holding a Glock 27, because it is likely that it will inflict more crippling physical damage and stop someone who is basically a zombie and won't respond to pain/panic.

If there was some crazy shooting up the mall and I felt compelled to take this guy out, I might prefer the Glock 26 because it will hold one more round.

I got a Glock 27 for the former hypothetical situation. When I buy another gun I might spring for a 9mm because of the price of ammunition.

I hope these points were helpful and added to the ongoing argument. Please take them with a grain of salt, I am not an expert obviously, I just wanted to share my opininions for the benefit of the group. That's why we are here isn't it?

I really don't know that much about 9mm vs .40SW ballistics.

, bullets are bullets.

I just wanted to share my opininions for the benefit of the group. That's why we are here isn't it?

Blackie,
1) a gun that goes bang every time
2) and hitting a vital area are the most important.
-------An eyeball hit with a 22 is better than a miss with a 44 magnum.

3) Carry the largest caliber that you can quickly and accurately shoot. So practice often.

4) If you are faced with more than two armed assailants, you will be shot, period. Accept that.

Also seriously consider that IF you are in any armed encounter, you might be shot. Seriously shot, maybe dead.

Seriously consider if you want to do all you can to avoid a confrontation, or press the issue and be a cowboy like in the movies.

5) In a gun fight you will probably never live long enough to shoot more than 4 rounds. If you do shoot more, you will probably be charged with a felony for spraying bullets all over the place, and you better pray that no innocents got hit. Who needs 10>50 rounds?

-------You can't miss enough to win a gunfight.

Contollable?
I listened to a gun dealer selling/pushing a 22 revolver to a woman telling her that more people die from 22s than any other caliber.

So what? In the 20 minutes it takes them to bleed to death, they are going to do you a whole bunch of bodily harm.

ME? 45 acp.
Extremely rarely 32 acp. (I can draw and fire 8 into a paper plate at 8 feet in 2.2 seconds)

Hope this helps someone.

I was recently in a local gun store and an employee there told me that I should not carry anything larger tham a 9mm. I laughed at him and quickly got someone else involved in the conversation.

Sounds like he had a BUNCH of 9mm and pocket guns in the back room that he needed to move.:wacko:

Just because they work there doesn't make them an expert. It's like those auto parts store employees that think they are mechanics.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back